• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Skeezed out by Estates?

cuppajack

I'm always hearing about the fantastic estate pipes that people score, but something abotu the whole 'used' pipe thing kinda weirds me out...

In the past I've owned a pair or estates, both of which I cleaned, reamed, salt-and-alcohol soaked, etc etc until they were throughly fresh and new lookin'. One of them was a real champ too. Smoked very nicely.

But I never found myself reaching for it as something about the 'other man's pipe' just didn't sit well in my head...

Am I nuts?
Do used pipes give you the willies?

Thoughts? Opinions?

They don't bother me. After a thorough cleaning and general spiffing up I don't really have the feeling that I'm getting sloppy seconds or anything. :laugh:

I will not, however, buy any more estate pipes through eBay. I got two in the past and they were both pretty awful. I got one cleaned up really nice and will be using it (so far it's a great little smoker), but the other is beyond help, I think. There are so many great sites out there that have estates that are cleaned up very nicely for great prices. My Brandt piece is an estate pipe and I could never say a bad thing about it.

I know some people will have a new stem made for an estate if they plan on smoking it (especially if it is one with some actual value). That sounds a little bit over the top to me, but to each his own.

I'm a borderline germaphobe anyway (I go through quite a bit of hand sanitizer!). So yes, it does kinda creep me out.

However, I did get a estate CAO-Meerscahum off of eBay last week. It looked really good. But it's not gonna happen too often! :laugh:

Do you think twice about using a fork at the local diner?

Once cleaned, I would have no worries. The pipe has been used by only one other person, the fork has been used by hundreds if not thousands.

Well, they don't bother me and I've gotten some great deals on estates. You're not alone, though, I know many people who won't buy estates just because of the whole "used pipe" thing.

As Alan said, there are lots of great, new pipes out there that are available at estate prices. I will say that if you get a pipe from a seller that is a professional restorer or uses one, you'll be hard put to tell the difference between it and a new pipe.

Bob

Do you think twice about using a fork at the local diner?

Once cleaned, I would have no worries. The pipe has been used by only one other person, the fork has been used by hundreds if not thousands.

Oh great. Thanks!

Now I've got to start carting my own flatware around...

Seriously though, I used to wash dishes in a local diner, and the Sanitizer pretty much puts all fear of fork-borne illness to rest.

Well, I have to admit that the estate meerschaum I bought is a wonderful pipe! This beauty smokes great!! Of course this one was taken care of.

Maybe I can find some more deals like this! :thumbs:

The title made me think that this was going to be about a new pipe tobacco named "SKEEZED OUT" from Drew Estates and I couldn't help thinking NOOOOOOOO! lol

To answer the question, I wouldn't be bothered by smoking a used pipe if it was cleaned before hand.

If it makes you feel better they can also buff out any bite marks or scratches in the end at any local shop usually. Thats what turns a estate pipe into my own.

I was also thinking of Drew Estates when i saw it. First thoughts were "well they still have one good cigar" thats about it. :laugh:

I don't buy estate pipes, but it's not for sanitary reasons. I'm pretty damned fussy about how my pipes are broken in and I prefer to do it myself.

Doc.

I don't buy estate pipes, but it's not for sanitary reasons. I'm pretty damned fussy about how my pipes are broken in and I prefer to do it myself.

Doc.

Doc, Could you elaborate on your break-in procedures?

TIA

Slowly, a 1/4 bowl once a week for about a month. Then a half bowl once a week for the same time. Then 3/4 once a week for a month. Then full. I try very hard not to over heat the pipe during this time. Proper packing is key. It's always hard on the tongue but it's important to take ones time. The cake should be about the thickness of a dime when done. I forgot to mention that I wet my finger and rub the interior of the bowl prior to packing. I don't think there are any secrets here. I learned this technique years ago.

Doc.

Slowly, a 1/4 bowl once a week for about a month. Then a half bowl once a week for the same time. Then 3/4 once a week for a month. Then full. I try very hard not to over heat the pipe during this time. Proper packing is key. It's always hard on the tongue but it's important to take ones time. The cake should be about the thickness of a dime when done. I forgot to mention that I wet my finger and rub the interior of the bowl prior to packing. I don't think there are any secrets here. I learned this technique years ago.

Doc.

Thanks Doc,
Well it was news to me! But that isn't saying much, I've been smoking a pipe for about a year. Do you do this for all pipes, meerschaums, briar's etc?
Doc, have you ever smoke a Boswell pipe? J.M. Boswell the man that actually hand-crafts them, claims that no break-in is required. He says just pack it and smoke it. I've BSed with a number of pipers at the Boswell store, they all agree with J.M., they claim that with other pipes this isn't true. Just curious as to your experience, and others.
Thanks again.

As the owner of 5 Boswell's I can attest to the smoking quality of his pipes. Just load them up and smoke them. That said everyone has different preferences and habits with their pipes. In my experience Boswell's and Stanwell's seems to smoke better the harder you smoke them.

How does one value an estate pipe?

On a few websites selling estate pipes, I've compared new vs estate prices..... what kind of price differences should i look for?

You know, I started to write a really detailed reply to this and realized it isn't possible. So here's my opinion: If you see an estate pipe you like, buy it if it's been discounted from retail. The discount should be fairly steep, whether from a private seller or a retailer. If it's from a maker like Bo Nordh (deceased) or any of the other high-end makers, the discount will be substantially less, and there may even be a premium.

I could recommend some of the estate sellers with better reputations, but you didn't ask about that. If it's ebay, ask questions of the seller, and examine the pictures carefully. If there's only one picture, or 2 or three, I'd say stay away, as a general rule.

Most of the major makers have websites where you can get an idea of the retail value, as long as it's a model that's being made currently. Really, ask questions here or join a foum like www.smokersforums.org where there are some really knowledgeable members and also some reputable sellers.

Thank you very much for the advise! really appreciate it.

I know its not easy because there are also various levels of used and various conditions of used pipes.

PM sent thanks

What , in your opinion, is the biggest no-no (bringing down the value) in determining how much to pay for an estate pipe?