• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Skeezed out by Estates?

It freaks me out a bit too. I would always wonder who's pipe I'm smoking. The only way I would be completely cool with it is if it was a relative's pipe.

For example, My Grandfather passed away in 2000, he was ninety nine years old and a pipe smoker and I was very fond of him. I would love to smoke his pipes, but my Mom when going through his things, tossed them out not realising I would want them. Still makes me mad to think about it. I wasn't a pipe smoker back in 2000 but I wanted them at the time for sentimental reasons. Oh well at least I got his pocket watch.

So other than the situation above it would make me feel funny. However I have bid and lost on ebay for a Dunhill pipe. I'm never going to spend the money on a new Dunhill so that's the only way I'll get one.

-mark

I would have absolutely no problem with an estate pipe, provided it was well kept. (I wouldn't buy one otherwise). I'm confident that I could rid it of any lingering "funk"!

I think there would be more risk of germs eating at a fast food restaraunt.

What , in your opinion, is the biggest no-no (bringing down the value) in determining how much to pay for an estate pipe?

A replacement stem. There are only 1 or 2 repair shops that do a really careful job in replacing a stem, and they charge accordingly. Especially on a quality pipe, the engineering of the stem is an essential element in the way the pipe functions. Plus, the stems on high-end pipes are usually hand-cut, and most shops won't try to duplicate them either in material or design. If you find someone who will do that sort of work, be prepared to pay accordingly.

You can always get the rubber grip to put over the end of the stem, that may take away from some of the "ewww" effect of smoking someone else's pipe.

Personally, I love breaking in my own pipes, it's a very personal experience and I wouldn't have it any other way, unless of course, a pipe was handed down in my family. To me, it's just part of the pipe experience.

Now, if I was given a very nice pipe, of course I'd smoke it. I just can't justify buying an estate pipe.

To each his own.

Jake

Personally, I can't stand the feel of those softie bits. They seem spongy and insecure and, in a higher end pipe, I also feel that the designer planned the dimensions of the bit and that's part of the whole smoking experience.
Now, if you're a vicious clencher of your pipes, that's a whole 'nother issue.
I do remember one smoker on another board suggest that you reverse them when you put them on, that way you don't feel the thick, chunky part.

(But I still don't like 'em.)

I don't personally use them, as I don't and probably won't smoke estate pipes.

Was just a suggestion for the coodie haters.

It freaks me out a bit too. I would always wonder who's pipe I'm smoking.

-mark

And that's where the fascination comes in! What's the history of this pipe? Did it sit in the same spot on the rack in a deacon's study for years? Travel the world in a sailor's duffel? Clenched in a mason's teeth while he helped restore a cathedral? Went on a cattle drive thru the Missouri Breaks?

Who was the man (or woman) who enjoyed this pipe? Was a he a crusty bachelor? A family man?
A teacher?

You can let your imagination run free and let an estate pipe tell you anything you'd like to believe. :D

Personally, I can't stand the feel of those softie bits. They seem spongy and insecure and, in a higher end pipe, I also feel that the designer planned the dimensions of the bit and that's part of the whole smoking experience.
Now, if you're a vicious clencher of your pipes, that's a whole 'nother issue.
I do remember one smoker on another board suggest that you reverse them when you put them on, that way you don't feel the thick, chunky part.

(But I still don't like 'em.)
I cut the fat part off and just use what's left if I use these at all. At first, I used them quite a bit, but now I just don't worry about tooth marks all that much. It's my pipe, it's going to have my "signature" on it. :laugh:

I don't plan on selling any of my pipes or anything like that, nor are they "high end" by any means.

I just got a couple of the rubber bits a few months ago, and I must say I'm liking them quite a bit. I've got one on my Meer churchwarden, and the other on my Boswell poker. Both are pipes that are tough to clench w/out them so that is their main draw to me. I tend to bite a bit hard, been known to go right through the Missouri meer plastic stems!

It freaks me out a bit too. I would always wonder who's pipe I'm smoking.

-mark

And that's where the fascination comes in! What's the history of this pipe? Did it sit in the same spot on the rack in a deacon's study for years? Travel the world in a sailor's duffel? Clenched in a mason's teeth while he helped restore a cathedral? Went on a cattle drive thru the Missouri Breaks?

Who was the man (or woman) who enjoyed this pipe? Was a he a crusty bachelor? A family man?
A teacher?

You can let your imagination run free and let an estate pipe tell you anything you'd like to believe. :D

Was he a lonely pervert that used it for "other things" other than tabacco...? *shivers* I know that's pushing it, excuse the punn, but I'd gag everytime I'd take a draw, without knowing for absolutely sure.

As my last comment to this thread (probably), I have to say I don't understand the revulsion for estate pipes. For financial reasons alone (and I know this may not apply to many folks), estate pipes are the best bang for the buck in pipe smoking.
If you buy from a reputable dealer, and there are many, they have buffed the stem to remove tooth marks, as much as possible, without damaging the stem. They have run 150 proof (or higher) alcohol thru the shank and stem to clean out any 'gunk'. Except for the fact that someone once held this pipe in his/her mouth, there isn't much to differentiate this pipe from a new one. In fact, many estate pipes are sold after 1-2 bowls, because the owner just didn't like it.
My last purchase was a Mastro Beraldi urn that had a retail (I researched this) of $225. I got it for $41. There were absolutely no tooth marks on the stem, and the remaining 'ghost' (I think from a Lakeland or Scottish blend) vanished after the first bowl.
There's no way I could have afforded a new pipe of this quality. But, you pays your money and you takes your choice, so if estates gross you out, then so be it. :)

To each his own,

This thread isn't going anywhere. Everyone has their own opinions and/ or biases towards estate pipes. No sense attempting to argue about it, as no argument at this point can change anyone's mind.

I have gotten some fantastic deals on estate pipes at Ebay. The way I price them is the following. if a pipe retails for 600.00 new, then cost is 300.00. Once it is used I take the 300.00 and divide by 2, making the cost now 150.00. if I can buy the pipe for that amount or lower, then I consider it a good deal. Now of course if the maker is someone like Barbi, Former, or other high end makers, then that formula will not hold.

One of the best Ebay sellers is a guy name coopersark. All of his auctions are no reserve, he cleans a pipe to brand new condition and is a real class act. Check out his auctions, he always has some really good deals.

The key to estate pipes is you have to know what the real numbers are, i.e original retail and cost.

I'm always hearing about the fantastic estate pipes that people score, but something abotu the whole 'used' pipe thing kinda weirds me out... In the past I've owned a pair or estates, both of which I cleaned, reamed, salt-and-alcohol soaked, etc etc until they were throughly fresh and new lookin'. One of them was a real champ too. Smoked very nicely.
But I never found myself reaching for it as something about the 'other man's pipe' just didn't sit well in my head...

Great thread, some very smart people here. I buy mostly estate pipes, but the pipes I like are new ones. I am starting to think it's like buying a used car. Why would someone want to sell a "Good" used car. I know they may not need it, but many times it's not good one.

My new rule is that I will buy an estate pipe only if it's one that I would buy new at twice the price.

I have sold quite a few used pipes at Ebay. The reason I sold them was because I no longer for whatever reason, stopped smoking them. Some were too big, others too small. If you are doing business with someone who has an excellent reputation, I would not be shy about purchasing a used pipe.

I love estates my favorite thing about them other than price is that they are generally very broken in. Look if it makes you feel any better just because it is an estate doesn't mean the guys dead, he probably just wanted a change.

Having just bought two 1970s GBDs, including a Virgin grade, for what I consider a very reasonable price, I'd say I'm not skeezed out. Both pipes basically looked like new inside and out with no tooth marks on the stems (they had been cleaned up by Smokers Haven). Doesn't bother me at all that someone owned them before me. Opening the door to estate pipes gives me a whole another set of options at great prices points.