• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Slow Burning Filler

fjldo

Not sure what you call this phenomenon, but "on occassion" I will have a cigar burn quicker around the outside with the filler sticking out like a hot poker...still burning, but I don't seem to be getting much from the draw.  I've learned to just guillotine cut that part of the filler at the base without cutting the cigar.  Seems to work fine from that point.  Curious to know if others have had a similiar experience.

Im a newb and never had that really happen. But would opening up the stick help? When I say this I mean poking a hole down the center with a pointy needle,rod? just a idea

What RH do you keep your humidor at?  I'm going to say you keep it at 70% or high.  Am I correct?

I should also ask, what brand cigars?  Do you notice it more with certain brands?

It's not happening with enough frequency to implicate a certain brand or for me to at least remember if it's the same brand.  I've had it happen about 4-5 times over the last 6 months and don't remember the last cigar when it occured....about 2 weeks ago. 

I do keep the RH between 68%-70% consistently.

The few times I've had this issue was when I smoked them too fast.  Slowed down a bit and the problem went away.

2K6TBSS said:
The few times I've had this issue was when I smoked them too fast.  Slowed down a bit and the problem went away.

Interesting comment........last 2 times that I can remember I was smoking outside and it was cold.......may very well have been smoking a little fast.  I'll pay more attention to that..thks!

2K6TBSS said:
What I was going to say. Same with an uneven burn- laying off it and letting it do it's thing, can even things out.

That sound awuful lot like a cigar canoeing from a gap in the binder or filler.  The wrapper burning, the filler sticking way out and almost no draw.   It happens to me on occasion and frankly there isn't anything I've found to remedy the problem except to hold off until it fixes itself.

The four things I've seen cause it are as Rod said "too humid of a cigar",  as 2K6TBSS said "Smoking too fast" and third smoking in a cold environment.  And of course I should add, the occasional poorly constructed cigar.

Thanks for the feedback.......all practical advice....one thing I will say, it's definately not canoeing, that's a different phenomenon all together from what I was describing.

There are times when I'm in a hurry and want a quick smoke.  I should probably consider some smaller vitolas for those occassions.

There are a lot of smaller vitolas out there that are great quicker smokes.

2K6TBSS said:

Can I get you to recommend some of your favorites?

fjldo said:
Illusione 68
Fuente Short Story
Padron Londres
Chateau Fuente
EPC New Wave connecticut

Great list Snead.  A few more to add would be the My Father Petite Robusto, Padron Delicias.

2K6TBSS said:
Great list Snead.  A few more to add would be the My Father Petite Robusto, Padron Delicias.

Bsneed51 said:

Illusione 68
Fuente Short Story
Padron Londres
Chateau Fuente
EPC New Wave connecticut

Thanks for recommendations....I'll seek out a few.  There seems to be more occassions than I like when all I have time for is a quick smoke....30-45 minutes.