• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

SLR Series A

cigarsarge

BOHICA
I recently got several SLR Series A in a trade. They are from 2002. I have smoked three so far and all have had an extremely tight draw, almost plugged. They come from a reputable vendor. The smoke, which I really had to work for, was creamy and nutty with that ISOM twang. I just don't like to work that hard to get smoke. Anyone else had trouble with this cigar? Maybe I just got a bad batch. :(

It's possible they were a bad batch, or it is possible that storing them at a lower RH would loosen up the draw a bit. What do you store them at now?

SLR series A can be that way. I had a entire box, that only 5 were enjoyable, the rest I had to work on to get to smoke.

I love the SLR pc's :love:

Funny you mention that about the Serie A.

I have a box from 1999 and found them to be a little on the tight side as well but no so bad that I'd toss the cigars away. I keep mine between 60% - 65% RH

The taste is fantastic as SLR is one of my top five Havanas ;)

Try dry-boxing them for a couple of days before you smoke them. Believe it or not 68% may be a bit high for a good draw on these. CC's 60-65% most certainly helps his draw :thumbs:

I smoked a SLR Serie A from 2003 last night (thanks for the contest Moki AND to emo for talking times zones :sign: ) and found it to be much better than my 1999's

Much better burn and draw :thumbs:

I just ordered a box of these as a house-warming present to myself (aren't I a nice guy).

The Ones I have smoked also had a tight draw.
NOt plugged..but not as loose as I prefer.

Quick question, may I ask what is dryboxing. I did a search and the reference to it sounded like it involved moving your sticks to a non humidifed space. Any suggestions as to how long. I want to try this with one of my SLR's.

Thanks,

K

This thead was originally from June 2004, so the "dryboxing" thing might be a bit dated. I have no idea what it is, but your guess sounds as good as any.

I have a box of 50 from '04 I think. They have all been super, rolled and flavor. I, by the way, prefer my humi closer to 70% so these were kept at this slightly higher humidity.

kro77 said:
Quick question, may I ask what is dryboxing.  I did a search and the reference to it sounded like it involved moving your sticks to a non humidifed space.  Any suggestions as to how long.  I want to try this with one of my SLR's.

Thanks,

K
[snapback]282607[/snapback]​

That is exactly what it is. I usually remove any cigar I smoke 4-6 hrs before torching it.

Smoked one from a 2000 box last week. Kept at 62-63% for about 6 months. Really tight - almost unsmokable. Seems '99-'00 weren't the best years for these construction wise. Flavor was spot on though.

Grr. Maybe I should have ordered a poker with my box.

Hmmm...
I did a split with someone on a box from '03 and so far they have all been just fine- nice draw, flavor, burn, etc... so much so that I should get more! :laugh:

I just got the Feb issue of Cigar Aficianado (sp?)

SLR Serie A was the #1 rated corona gorda with a rating of 93!

I just got a box in from 2003 that I'm sharing with a member on the board. They arrived today and I didnt even let one of them rest whatsoever. It cut perfectly and didnt have a single draw issue whatsoever. I had to correct the burn a couple of times like with so many cigar. But it was a NICE smoke. Give this one a good solid 90+ rating.

Got a cab of '03 that smoke and taste great, not a bad one in the bunch yet. They arrived a bit damaged but the draw has been perfect so far, see this thread WTF