• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

small rant

davew0670

Sent an email to a vendor to let them know a few cigars were moldly in a box I just received and they might want to check their stock. Got a reply of "sorry to hear it. We will check ours out." Should they have at least offered to replace or am I being a whiney bitch?

No they should have said please return them and we will replace at our cost.

They should have definitely offered to replace them upon return. There's no excuse for shipping a moldy box and then dumping the problem on the customer. In my opinion, a moldy box is essentially an empty box (since a tiny bit of mold can be eradicated, but a full-blown moldy cigar is done for) and you wouldn't accept them shipping an empty box, would you?

You might want to contact them and make the grievance known. What the problem was and what you expect them to do to make it right. Most people will do the right thing eventually, but sometimes you have to be unsubtle as to what will make it right.

You said only a couple of the cigars were moldy, but how much mold? A little near the cap? Completely covered? To me, it would be a question as to what degree the cigars were covered in mold. If there are only a couple and it is minor mold, just brush them off and notify the vendor like you did. I've had several boxes with minor mold and all you have to do is brush it off and its good as new. If it was really bad, then demand a return from the vendor and hopefully they'll oblige.

You said only a couple of the cigars were moldy, but how much mold? A little near the cap? Completely covered? To me, it would be a question as to what degree the cigars were covered in mold. If there are only a couple and it is minor mold, just brush them off and notify the vendor like you did. I've had several boxes with minor mold and all you have to do is brush it off and its good as new. If it was really bad, then demand a return from the vendor and hopefully they'll oblige.

Any mold is unacceptable, If you paid full price for the product . Willing to live with a little is up to the customer , no mater how much mold the product should be replaced.

edit : even if you bought the cigars on sale they should be replaced. You shuld get what you pay for

Any mold is unacceptable, If you paid full price for the product . Willing to live with a little is up to the customer , no mater how much mold the product should be replaced.

That's your opinion and your certainly entitled to it, but there are anumber of mitigating factors in my experience that have made it acceptable. In addition to the above, if it is an aged box, especially more than 3-4 years, chances that there was once mold is extremely high. These are organic products and some mold is a natural result if left undisturbed for a number of years at a high humidity. Also, there is the hassle factor in returning and getting replacements, as my brother expereinced a year or so ago. Lastly, maybe it is a really excellent box, a HTF box, or a great box code and you don't want to return it b/c of a little mold. I choose to look at a variety of factors rather than demanding my money back for a small amount of mold.

That's your opinion and your certainly entitled to it, but there are anumber of mitigating factors in my experience that have made it acceptable. In addition to the above, if it is an aged box, especially more than 3-4 years, chances that there was once mold is extremely high. These are organic products and some mold is a natural result if left undisturbed for a number of years at a high humidity. Also, there is the hassle factor in returning and getting replacements, as my brother expereinced a year or so ago. Lastly, maybe it is a really excellent box, a HTF box, or a great box code and you don't want to return it b/c of a little mold. I choose to look at a variety of factors rather than demanding my money back for a small amount of mold.

I understand your point and agree with most of them. But for a retailer to deny refund is unacceptable. I received a box with two sticks with white mold I brushed them off and separated and smoked them first. But for a vendor / retailer to deny refund on a moldy stick? Why would the risk loosing a customer.

I understand your point and agree with most of them. But for a retailer to deny refund is unacceptable. I received a box with two sticks with white mold I brushed them off and separated and smoked them first. But for a vendor / retailer to deny refund on a moldy stick? Why would the risk loosing a customer.

I guess I am confused then because I didn't see where he asked for a refund or where the vendor refused to give one. I think all Dave was asking if the vendor should have offered a refund without being prompted. Who knows; I would have expected the vendor to ask for some more details rather than saying "thanks, we'll check our cigars," but oh well.

I guess I am confused then because I didn't see where he asked for a refund or where the vendor refused to give one. I think all Dave was asking if the vendor should have offered a refund without being prompted. Who knows; I would have expected the vendor to ask for some more details rather than saying "thanks, we'll check our cigars," but oh well.
your right I read the post wrong and jumped to conclusions

Mike's responses reveals some nuances in this situation. My short answer was a bit incomplete and as a result, not helpful.

The OP did not seem to ask for a remedy. Maybe he was hoping that the seller would categorically make an offer to replace or refund in such a circumstance. However, given the fact that he was giving notice only, it makes perfect sense that the vendor would have said thanks, we'll check it out.

Why does it make sense? Because if the vendor's assumption is that the buyer knows what he is doing (e.g., able to discern the condition of the cigars, make a reasonable assessment of risk and then make the appropriate communications) then the first thing I would do, were I in his position, would be to check stock of that vitola.

In essence, you were treated reasonably and appropriately by a conscientious vendor whose assumption was that you were a worthy, knowledgeable customer. The only way he would know you feel you can justifiably ask for a remedy would be if you made the explicit request. Now, if you had fired off hate-mail demanding this, that, or the other, and threatening to air out the issue in public (yes, people have been misguided enough to do just this), then things might have gone another way. It's a good thing you didn't go this way.

Take a closer look. Get some advice if you need to. And then decide if you should take further action.

Wilkey

I read it this way, buyer ordered merchandise. Merchandise was sent in less than pristine condition. Buyer called to inform vendor of condition, but neglected to state what the desired result was. Vendor not knowing buyer was really disappointed and wanted merchandise replaced, said thank you and pressed on. Buyer not getting satisfaction, came on Internet to seek satisfaction. Did I get it right or did I miss the gist of the issue?

Short answer I gave still stands. We as consumers must ask what we want from vendors! If not satisfied your money returned or new merchandise is what is needed. Not all vendors are mind readers or go out of there way to get repeat business.

For vintage buys, that is another story altogether and can lead to its own thread.

Mike's responses reveals some nuances in this situation. My short answer was a bit incomplete and as a result, not helpful.

The OP did not seem to ask for a remedy. Maybe he was hoping that the seller would categorically make an offer to replace or refund in such a circumstance. However, given the fact that he was giving notice only, it makes perfect sense that the vendor would have said thanks, we'll check it out.

Why does it make sense? Because if the vendor's assumption is that the buyer knows what he is doing (e.g., able to discern the condition of the cigars, make a reasonable assessment of risk and then make the appropriate communications) then the first thing I would do, were I in his position, would be to check stock of that vitola.

In essence, you were treated reasonably and appropriately by a conscientious vendor whose assumption was that you were a worthy, knowledgeable customer. The only way he would know you feel you can justifiably ask for a remedy would be if you made the explicit request. Now, if you had fired off hate-mail demanding this, that, or the other, and threatening to air out the issue in public (yes, people have been misguided enough to do just this), then things might have gone another way. It's a good thing you didn't go this way.

Take a closer look. Get some advice if you need to. And then decide if you should take further action.

Wilkey
The first thing I would do, were I in his position, would be to offer a replacement if I could find a box without a mold problem.

Assuming the customer knows what he is talking about and acting on that assumption is not good business. Offering to make the problem right before asked to do so is the way to attract repeat business from potential naysayers.

Should they have at least offered to replace or am I being a whiney bitch?
Not being a whiney bitch at all...you're right.

I'd e-mail them back, now that you gave them a chance at redemption, and TELL THEM you want a refund or an exchange :thumbs:

They should have offered to replace them and send me a few sticks for your troubles.

I didnt ask for them to be replaced because it was the second time they had to ship. (first order got lost) These were also $2.50 cigars so it wasnt that big a deal. If anything I would have just asked to add a few to my next order. Did get me thinking though, what if it had been a box of SIG VI? Would I have gotten the same answer? Anyway, I emailed the vendor to make sure this was not normal practice. If so, I need to take my business elsewhere.

gallery_3495_392_132529.jpg

looks to be 5 total. I'm going wait and unwrap them after I hear from the vendor.

Holy crap!

Do they smell musty? Do they feel damp?

If neither, then I would probably dust them off, stick them in a ziploc and smoke the hell out of them. The mold is the benign "fluffy white" variety.

If either or both, then I would ask for an exchange.

I have over half a dozen of these on hand at all times and I've not seen this in any bundle.

Wilkey