• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoked Blackened Pork Chops

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
For this Memorial Day I'm doing smoked blackened pork chops by putting a cast iron pan right on the coals.  If you want to give it a shot you'll need some 1.25 inch thick pork chops, I buy a pork loin and cut my own.

The spice mix:

1 Tbsp Paprika
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Thyme Leaves
½ tsp Oregano Leaves
1 tsp Cumin

This is not terribly hot so you can double the Cayenne if you want.
This is good for 4-5 chops so double as needed.

Other stuff you'll need
butter,
bacon grease

The Prep & The Cook
Get your grill as hot as you can and place your pan in it
Melt 4 tablespoons of butter (or use a 50-50 mix of 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 of vegetable oil)
Coat chops with the butter
Coat chops with spices (I use a plastic dish and just plop the chops on the spices)
Plop a dollop of bacon grease in the pan.  If it smokes you are hot enough.
Place the chops in the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes per side (depending how hot you got your pan)
Do not poke at them until it is time to turn them over
If you have a thermometer your chops will be done when they are 140-150 degrees internal

I've been having good luck with mesquite but I'm going to try apple wood just to see how it goes.

Enjoy.

And it smokes like crazy, too, Ray, don't it? When I blacken anything in the house, I need to prep by opening windows, put on the hood vent, and have a fan blowing.

Actually less smoke outside than inside.  I close the top and it all goes out the vent whereas in the kitchen it seems to go everywhere.

I've been doing steaks and burgers in an iron skillet on my Webber Kettle lately. It's a great way to get a fantastic sear on the meat and that smokey grilled flavor without scorching the meat with the inevitable flare ups. I'm going to give these chops here a try real soon. Thanks for sharing.

Bacon done this way is great too.

I'll have to try the pan in the coals, next time. Sounds like a great method.

I remember an Alton Brown episode where he stuck the charcoal chimney/starter on top of the steak, like a broiler. Really hot, really close to the meat and it seared nice w/o flaming up. Curious if anyone has tried that? This is different from cooking on top of the starter, afterburner style that I've seen in other places.

-John

I'll have to try the pan in the coals, next time. Sounds like a great method.

I remember an Alton Brown episode where he stuck the charcoal chimney/starter on top of the steak, like a broiler. Really hot, really close to the meat and it seared nice w/o flaming up. Curious if anyone has tried that? This is different from cooking on top of the starter, afterburner style that I've seen in other places.

-John
I just saw the rerun of this and his chimney is huge compared to mine - plus you can only cook one at a time. I think the real trick is covering with the stainless bowl because I can certainly get my grate down to an inch over the coals and that has to be as hot as the chimney an inch over the steak.

I cook tuna steaks on top of the chimney, but have never put it on top of anything. It's like a damn key engine, definitely hotter than putting the grate right above the coals.