• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking in the basement

CBoukal

Impeached Staff Member
Staff member
I am looking for some advice for anyone who has done a smoking room in their home. Obviously it's getting colder so I am thinking of ways to not freeze, but still be able to enjoy cigars. I have an unfinished basement that has a room mostly walled off for a bedroom. I am handy enough to put up the last wall and a door/drywall to at least enclose the room. Left in that room is a window, one wall of drywall and 3 walls of that blanket insulation. I'd like to bring my small space heater down there and buy an air purifier and turn it into a smoking room. I don't have the budget currently to do it all (drywall/electrical/lights) at this moment but I can deal with the unfinished room if this would work. The ceiling is the exposed floor joists of the next level.

My question is, if I get an air purifier that is rated for a lot more space than I need, would it keep the smell out of the rest of the house? Also, what if anything could I add/do to help prevent that also? i.e maybe I need to finish the ceiling?? Below is the purifier I am looking at. I have no affiliation or knowledge of the product, not trying to sell it to anyone.. Well maybe @H. Vachon for his garage.

I don't think you will be able to keep smoke out of the house with the ceiling being open...

You’ll definitely want to finish the ceiling. I have two rabbitairs and an additional purifier in an ‘airlock’ room, and there’s still some smell leakage despite weatherseal around the door. Not bad, but still there while I’m smoking.

Thanks guy I appreciate the help and input. I think I will work on enclosing the room and work on sealing the ceiling and installed a actual ceiling. After that I'll figure out the next steps. Problem is while I am framing, I should probably just frame in the whole room....