• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking in the house

Hylan85

So, after doing a lot of searching on Google and Cigar Pass, I'm finally going to post the topic. As a precursor to the conversation, I just want to mention that I did search and find other topics, however they're older, I haven't seen this touched on more recently, and with the constantly evolving technology we have as a society, there may be new developments that have not been discussed. While I realize the archive of CP is quite nice for learning/informing people, I do believe this is something that should be touched on with a more recent setting, who knows, maybe someone has a new method, or tried some new equipment that wasn't discussed earlier.

So, to those of you out there who do smoke indoors, and do not have a ventilation system built into the room specifically for smoking purposes, how do you do it?

I've read about Smoke Eater Candles, Smoke Eater Equipment, fans pointed out windows, Ozone Generators, Air Purifiers, etc. What is your experience with any of these items?

Ultimately, the goal of this thread is to figure out a way to smoke in the house, specifically in one room, and have the smell gone by the morning.

Garage with a heater is your best bet. I smoke in my garage year round...summertime doors open and wintertime doors vented with a heater on. It still smells like smoke. I cannot imagine what my house would smell like no matter what "device" I use.

Yep, Im going to be smoking inside here pretty soon as well. So far everything I do the smell will hang around for about 3-4 days.

I use a window fan in reverse to blow the smoke out and light some smoke eater candles and it works fine for me. Next day no smell of cigars :thumbs: :cool:

Ultimately, the goal of this thread is to figure out a way to smoke in the house, specifically in one room, and have the smell gone by the morning.

It's virtually impossible. You have to be able to remove the smoke from the room somehow if you want it not to smell in the morning.

Is there a window in the room?

I have smoked up north in my cabin with a fireplace going. That seems to really help with the smoke. Make a little fire sit next to it and let the draft of the heat do the work. :) :thumbs:

In my particular case, this is what I have for "ventilation"
gallery_10563_1264_82405.jpg

I have a massive window fan called Kool Operator. Fits the dimensions off the window almost perfectly and has extremely large blades with a sharp angle. I set it up in the living room window to exhaust and open the bedroom window for an intake. On low, you can barely hear it and it moves an incredible amount of air.

I believe that fan is made by a company named Lakewood who has a very interesting post on their website ...

"Lakewood has filed for Chapter 7 liquidation. They are no longer
honoring warranties or repairing units. Please do not send any units
in for warranty or repair work."

http://www.lakewoodeng.com

Could be. I wouldn't know, the fan was left on the building freecycle table at the end of last summer so if and when it dies, it's no big deal to me :laugh:

I smoke in the corner of my basement. I put a fan in both windows down there blowing out and then when I'm done I turn on another couple I have down there and let them run overnight. Very faint or no smoke smell in the morning. Someone here said it best on another thread. It's all about exchanging the air. You can run it through as many smoke eaters as you want but change out the air for fresh air and you effectively remove the smell. That and I use some febreeze on the furniture.

I smoke in the garage. I've thought about setting something up in the basement, but ultimately any workable solution would involve venting warm air outside, and I'm too damn cheap. The cost to heat the place is high enough already.

You guys are all pussies......:sign:

Put on a coat, pour a scotch, and head outside. I sit outside on our covered decks year round. When it gets below 30, I'll run the propane patio heater.

One thing when it's super cold outside is it's also usually super dry, RH wise. A valuable trick, believe it or not, is to quickly run your cigar under running water to moisten the wrapper just before you go outside to smoke. It works wonders on smokes with super thin wrappers; some of the early Pepin sticks come to mind.

Bundle up and enjoy the winter......B.B.S.

Which candle, where did you purchase it from?
OK the name of the candle is "smoke odor exterminator candle" and they sold in tobacco outlet in New York is smoke shops and they last about 24 hrs or so, they go for about $5-$7 vanilla flavor works best for me ....

I converted my front bedroom to an office/mancave and have a window exhaust fan in here. Just a cheap one, too, one of those twin rotor jobs from Target. That, closed door, ceiling fan going, can't smell it in the rest of the house. I do turn it up to high and open the door for awhile when I'm done, to move a little fresh air through the room, but that's basically about it.

Cigar smell might last a day in here, but never gets out into the rest of the house. Even nonsmokers can't tell.

~Boar

I sit down, light a cigar, and puff away. It's just me and a roommate here, so I don't worry about the smell much, I do usually light a couple of candles though, to keep any residual smell at a minimum, and I have a little tiny air filter.

In my lounge, I have a ceiling exhaust fan, just like the ones you'd install in a bathroom. Works wonders...just buy one with high cfm rating, and quieter than mine! Plus, when I leave the room, I light a strip of ''Papier d'Arménie'' (http://www.naturadif.com/en/products/paper.htm). Look it out on the net, it works good for me. I had a futon in my apartment, smoked there 3-4 times a week, and never smelled smoke or tobacco.

Papier d'Arménie, or Armenian Paper, is sold locally in Montreal, I beleive you could probably find it in the states too...

Gianni

I get in my car and drive to the Outlaw. Other than when Oz is visiting Smokyballs it doesn't smell to bad in there.

Back