• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking question

nfulton

I just purchased a 250lbs pig from one of my employees who farms on the side. I took it to one of the local slaughter houses and had it processed. I don't care for the pre-packaged flavorings they put in the sausage, nor do I care for how they smoke and cure their bacon and hams. I had the hams ground into the sausage, but I did get the bacon. I fried some up last weekend for breakfast and it was damn good, but missing that thing that smoking and curing does for it. So smokers (no pun intended) what is the best way to fix this stuff up? I can borrow a smoker, but I wouldn't have the first clue as to what wood, seasonings, and curing procedures to use. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hillbilly seems to be the Smoke King, but I do own a smoker and use it quite often. For bacon, I personally like smoking it using Maple wood chunks on top of hardwood charcoal. I usually smoke 2-3lbs for about 4 hrs (or two really good cigars, whichever comes first) and that lasts for several weeks worth of breakfast for the family. I just have a little Brinkman smoker and I have seen pictures of Hillbilly's smoker so mine to his is Tonka toys vs. earthmovers. Hope this helps until the real pros weigh in on it.

Swissy would be another good person to contact Nate. He has some really good brine recipes as well.

Howdy Nate,

Breakfast sausage is typically a fresh (uncured) sausage but smokin' it is one sure way to give it flavor. Still, I'd like some seasoning in it. If you (or anyone) is interested in curing, I can't recommend the book Charcuterie highly enough. A lot of smokers consider it the bible for curing ham, sausage, and much, much more. You mentioned not liking the seasoning in store-bought sausage. A breakfast sausage recipe in this book is flavor with ginger and sage.

You can also choose from a huge selection of sausage premixes. Two sources I like are, Butcher & Packer and The Sausage Maker, Inc..

I've just gotten into making sausage and bacon is on my list of things to cure, too.