• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking to the bottom

August_West

I know it is good to smoke a pipe all the way to the bottom, especially when forming a new cake. But I have found that by the time it gets to the bottom, either have a hard time keeping it lit, or it gets to harsh, and sometimes hot, leaving a bad taste in my mouth after what was a tasty and enjoyable bowl. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks!
Eric

If your having a hard time keeping it lit, make sure you tamp it down, and keep compacting the ash. If you humidify your pipe tobacco, check the levels. Wet tobacco wont stay lit as long normally.

If it get's bitter towards the end, tap some of your ash out and make sure you are cleaning the bottom of the bowl. If it burns too hot, quit buying it, I won't buy but 2 or 3 bulk, no tinned, mixtures for that very reason.

I use the spoon thats built into my tamper.
But I know what you mean its tough
I thinks its good to stir it up but not 100% sure about that :thumbs:

You're probably having trouble because the moisture form smoking the rest of the bowl has caused the tobacco at the bottom to be too wet.

Judicious drying of your tobacco before smoking and dumping your ash and tamping at the half-way point may help. Some tobaccos will not smoke all the way down no matter what (especially some aromatics). If you're trying to build cake and you can't get to the bottom, smoke half-bowls until the cake in the heel forms. This will keep the tobacco at the bottom from getting too wet.