• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking while hunting?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Sport I suppose? Does anyone else smoke cigars while they are deer hunting?

I have talked to plenty of old timers who believe that it does not deter the deer in any way, but the New Age Hunter will tell you that it is a problem.

Any experience?

Smoke a cigar pretty much every time in the stand. Never noticed any negative reaction from any wildlife. Been whitetail deer hunting for 30+ years. Guess that makes me an “old timer”? 🤔

Great question! I’ve wondered the same thing. If anything I’d think the smoke would help mask your scent. I’ve considered going as far as hanging all my hunting clothing near a bonfire to absorb the smoke

Knew a guy that lured deer to his stand by chain smoking and throwing beer cans out on the ground.

He landed the biggest deer every year at his lease.

@CigarStone could it be that the “Old Timers” are just trying to get out of the house and away from the wife, while the “Young Timers” are actually trying to shoot deer?
You have an old timer with you and they’re going to find the deer though, guaranteed. My dad always caught the most fish, shot the biggest deer, most birds, etc. Could never figure out how, but always happened.

My son in law has become obsessed with bow hunting. He sprays shit on himself, he drags a doe estrus line behind his boots, he hangs shit in nearby trees, he sprays doe estrus in the air around him .....and he kills big bucks.

I sprayed some estrus in the air and the wind changed, it ruined my cigar!:cool:

I have smoked seegars while in the woods, deer hunting. Haven’t noticed any issues.

I used to buy the scent free shit but figured out a better option. Get a bunch of dry leaves and set em on fire. Hold all hunting clothes near said smoke. BAM!!! That flippin smell covers everything. Had a good one dead down wind at 20 yards, nada!!!

Be safe all you hunters out there. Have fun.

Floyd T

My son in law has become obsessed with bow hunting. He sprays shit on himself, he drags a doe estrus line behind his boots, he hangs shit in nearby trees, he sprays doe estrus in the air around him .....and he kills big bucks.

I sprayed some estrus in the air and the wind changed, it ruined my cigar!:cool:
Do you mean uterus instead of estrus?

I have smoked seegars while in the woods, deer hunting. Haven’t noticed any issues.

I used to buy the scent free shit but figured out a better option. Get a bunch of dry leaves and set em on fire. Hold all hunting clothes near said smoke. BAM!!! That flippin smell covers everything. Had a good one dead down wind at 20 yards, nada!!!

Be safe all you hunters out there. Have fun.

Floyd T
I used to buy those wafers that smelled like dirt and pine trees. I thought my mama didn’t raise no sucker but I guess I was wrong. 🫤

I used to buy those wafers that smelled like dirt and pine trees. I thought my mama didn’t raise no sucker but I guess I was wrong. 🫤
Yea, I tried it all. Then I realized deer are used to smelling burning leaves/brush since most folks out here burn it. They get used to it. Burning tobacco is similar, I suppose.

Floyd T