• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So who keeps banning people?

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Just wondering.

Thought we didn't erase threads around here?

Looks like three threads were deleted. One was the hilarious Behike sale, and the other two were a guy posting a link to a review which, if I recall correctly, Rod has stated is not cool. Same as his position on links in signatures. If that's the only reason people are here, to drive traffic to other sites, that's not what is desired.

I think it had to do with the 'reset' todd performed in order to get the view new content working.

(hey....it at least gives him an 'out'!)

Normally such threads were locked and in the case of the people posting reviews they were told to post them directly in the forum.

Not erased as if they were never there.

If someone wants to erase a bunch of dead-wood threads, they should start with Wilkey's broken reviews.

I personally am not worried or upset about it. I was just wondering what was going on.

It has always been the practice to delete SPAM and ban spammers. I will not leave such posts in place, only to drive traffic and increase search engine rankings to those other sites. So to answer your question, we actually do delete threads around here, only when they're posted by spammers.

The guy who posted a link to a review on his blog wasn't a spammer. He didn't even have ads on his site.

And we have other bloggers posting links to their reviews as well here.

I just think he could have been allowed to post an intro after given a friendly warning.

Just my 2 cents.

Guys post their reviews here, and then follow it up with a link. He did not. He posted links, and nothing else. And the first time he posted just a link, he was told to post an intro, and he didn't. He just came back a couple days later, and posted another link.

Guys post their reviews here, and then follow it up with a link. He did not. He posted links, and nothing else. And the first time he posted just a link, he was told to post an intro, and he didn't. He just came back a couple days later, and posted another link.

I've seen it done both ways here. And like I said I don't really care either way. I was curious so I decided to ask.

It has always been the practice to delete SPAM and ban spammers. I will not leave such posts in place, only to drive traffic and increase search engine rankings to those other sites. So to answer your question, we actually do delete threads around here, only when they're posted by spammers.

A popular discussion on another forum where posts were deleted ( and the thread prematurely locked ) reminded me how precious it is to maintain forum integrity with open discussions, warts and all.

In regards to CigarPass, would it be possible to edit the spammer link(s) but save the thread so that other member's post don't get lost? It would also leave a footprint in the CigarPass archive for future reference.

On a side note, what is the current CigarPass policy on links in member signatures? We seem to have a recent rash of noobie bloggers and merchants looking to gain traffic without adding much substance to the CP community.

On a side note, what is the current CigarPass policy on links in member signatures? We seem to have a recent rash of noobie bloggers and merchants looking to gain traffic without adding much substance to the CP community.

I was thinking the same thing.

Good idea, Kirk. I can certainly edit posts that contain spam.

If someone joins CP and they have a link to their blog, then they're a spammer and it's against policy. If it's someone who has been a respective member and they have a link in their profile, then that may be a different story.

I need to read the reported posts, haven't had a chance to do that yesterday or today. I'll catch up on them tomorrow.

I just reviewed all of the reported posts; I removed the spam link, and replaced it with "SPAM LINK REMOVED BY CP".

I have also banned the offending members.

Come to think of it, I used to do this in the past, however it became too tedious and I decided to just start deleting spammers. Let me be clear, spam is the only type of posts that I have ever deleted. We can certainly go back to the original method, assuming it doesn't get out of control.

I just reviewed all of the reported posts; I removed the spam link, and replaced it with "SPAM LINK REMOVED BY CP".

Come to think of it, I used to do this in the past, however it became too tedious and I decided to just start deleting spammers. Let me be clear, spam is the only type of posts that I have ever deleted. We can certainly go back to the original method, assuming it doesn't get out of control.

When has CP ever gotten 'out of control'!?

:D

Thanks for the update. It's still refreshing to see that stuff stays! :thumbs:

If someone joins CP and they have a link to their blog, then they're a spammer and it's against policy. If it's someone who has been a respective member and they have a link in their profile, then that may be a different story.

And then there's the story of the guy who signs up and within days has a link to Rod's CP store. Shill or Asskisser? You decide.....
tongue.gif

...perfect answer in my book, Rod. Thanks for all the hard work...!!....:thumbs: