• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sorry, just gotta get a consensus

Rickets

Ok, this is about mold. If you dont want to read further, hit back now.

In the area that I live in, there is no need for humidification devices. I just open the humidors when the ambient percentages is between 65% to 68%. The humidors hold the humidity well, so I just open the boxes to just 'air out'.
I had two boxes sent to me w/ lots of mold. One I returned for a replacement box, which didn't have quite so much mold. None of it was the green/blue mold, only the white fuzzy stuff.
That was 3 months ago. Now, I still find some spots, but its only pin head sized, but very sporatic. Most times its just one cigar w/ the mold, but I quickly brush the mold off, making sure not to brush near the box- trying to keep the spores from going back into the box. There isn't a single culprit cigar, it seems to be random on the cigars that get affected.
These are the only two boxes affected.

So did you have a question? Recurrent mold is not at all unusual. I've got a box of small cigars from JR's that is probably almost three years old. There was fluffy white mold, spotty, on a few sticks when I got the box. I dusted off all the spots I could find. Every time that I go back to pull one to smoke (2 or 3 times a year), the mold is back and I dust it all off again. The cigars smell fine, smoke fine, and show no obvious ill effects from the infestation but because of this, I keep the box inside a ziploc bag in a quarantine cooler.

It's not so much the spores that are the problem here. It's most likely the mycelium.

In any case, keep the moldy cigars separated and there's no reason why you should not be able to enjoy these until the box is gone.

Wilkey

Great insite Wilkey, I have noticed a little mold on some older sticks I have. I have also put them in a ziplock bag all by themselves and they do smoke just fine. It does come back from time to time and they just get cleaned and put away.

BTW great new avatar. :thumbs:

He he, it was a question. AND you guys answered it.
Thanks guys for the support. Guess just gotta monitor them and bust them open from time to time.