• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Source Question

jaradthescot

I realise sources aren't supposed to be discussed in the forum, so I was wondering if there's any way to ask for advice on a certain website I found. Their prices seem a bit too good and would like to know if anyone here has had success with them. How could I go about that? Thanks

I realise sources aren't supposed to be discussed in the forum, so I was wondering if there's any way to ask for advice on a certain website I found. Their prices seem a bit too good and would like to know if anyone here has had success with them. How could I go about that? Thanks

PM me and I will verify your source if I can. I don't want to see someone buying fake cigars.

For any of you who've wondered how to ask this question without getting flamed, see above. As Drew says, we don't want to see anyone buying fakes.

For any of you who've wondered how to ask this question without getting flamed, see above. As Drew says, we don't want to see anyone buying fakes.
I understand the concern here, but with him being Canadian, is it not alright for another Canadian Brother to chime in on the question without him getting flamed? This is an international board as has been stated many times, as long as an American doesn't answer the question, can an international member not ask it?

I understand the concern here, but with him being Canadian, is it not alright for another Canadian Brother to chime in on the question without him getting flamed? This is an international board as has been stated many times, as long as an American doesn't answer the question, can an international member not ask it?

I think this really has nothing to do with nationality. The board is international, however is based in the US and has US members, so we all follow Rod's rules about no discussion sources.

However if somebody needs something verified, I am happy to do it as long as they aren't a 1 post newb just here for a snatch and run. I really don't want to see anyone wasting money on fakes.

As well, the way the question was asked was IMO appropriate. He was not asking for us to give him sources, but rather to confirm or deny a source that he may have expressed interest in using.

I think because this member is from Canada it is perfectly fine for him to ask for advice via pm on a source. If this member was from the US and was relatively new with little activity then they have no business asking about sources. And as stated, regardless of your nationality we do not discuss sources publicly.

I think this really has nothing to do with nationality. The board is international, however is based in the US and has US members, so we all follow Rod's rules about no discussion sources.

However if somebody needs something verified, I am happy to do it as long as they aren't a 1 post newb just here for a snatch and run. I really don't want to see anyone wasting money on fakes.

As well, the way the question was asked was IMO appropriate. He was not asking for us to give him sources, but rather to confirm or deny a source that he may have expressed interest in using.

That's what I meant. We don't hand out sources, but most of us will gladly hand out warnings. A: we don't want to see another brother get scammed, and B: it is in our best interest to steer business away from certain vendors since it only keeps them in business ruining other people's days.

As long as any mentions of names stays offline.

I got a response, so thanks. Once again I've been thwarted by the old saying "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is."

I realise I'm a very sporadic poster, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but I suggest something similar to what I see in other forums with illegal or semi-legal portions of the forum. Once a member achieves a certain number of posts he/she can request to get access to a hidden forum, where people can openly discuss things like Cuban sources.

Source talk is not allowed, never has been, never will be. This is a US based forum and CC's are illegal here.

Source talk is not allowed, never has been, never will be. This is a US based forum and CC's are illegal here.
C'mon Ian! This was already done and your post was nothing but a "pile-on". I asked a valid question that has nothing to do with us asking for sources. I know we don't, never will, and it's is in big bold letters at the top of the page. I was simply referring to the international Brothers since whenever this comes up about the Sponsor link up top, we're always reminded this is an INTERNATIONAL board and these sponsors serve the INTERNATIONAL Brothers. I know enough and have been here long enough to know the rules on discussing sources. This is finished and was answered succinctly by a couple of people stating there's no problem with the post in itself (which is what my post was referring to) and gives the advice of pm'ing someone to verify the source in question.

I got a response, so thanks. Once again I've been thwarted by the old saying "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is."

I realise I'm a very sporadic poster, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but I suggest something similar to what I see in other forums with illegal or semi-legal portions of the forum. Once a member achieves a certain number of posts he/she can request to get access to a hidden forum, where people can openly discuss things like Cuban sources.

Having a restricted forum in which we can discuss ISOM cigars is IMO a steep slope that I am glad we haven't started sliding down.

I don't think Rod has any intention of ever creating a secret forum of any type but I am sure he will speak to that if he wishes.

C'mon Ian! This was already done and your post was nothing but a "pile-on". I asked a valid question that has nothing to do with us asking for sources. I know we don't, never will, and it's is in big bold letters at the top of the page. I was simply referring to the international Brothers since whenever this comes up about the Sponsor link up top, we're always reminded this is an INTERNATIONAL board and these sponsors serve the INTERNATIONAL Brothers. I know enough and have been here long enough to know the rules on discussing sources. This is finished and was answered succinctly by a couple of people stating there's no problem with the post in itself (which is what my post was referring to) and gives the advice of pm'ing someone to verify the source in question.
Valid? not really. First off, this is a question that has been asked over and over; again, search is your friend. The whole reason these rules have come about are due to the additional pressure some of the online cigar board based in the US were getting. So Rod laid down the rules very clearly, and they are even in big bold red letters. So the question seems suspect to wanting things to change over here; it ain't happening.

Not to mention, the guy has a whopping 17 posts. Is that indicative of someone who has become part of this community? Probably not. No offense guy. Also, how can you prove that he really is from Canada? Because he posted it in his profile? I can tell you Alex doesn't currently live in Guatemala... So how would we, as board members, ever be able to truly know where he is from? Also, it is obvious that everyone reads these things, so even if the guy was from Canada and another Canadian answered him, we would all read it here; and most of us are in the US.

But most importantly, these are Rod's rules. This is Rod's forum. We are his humble guests.

Cheers,
- C

I don't think Rod has any intention of ever creating a secret forum of any type but I am sure he will speak to that if he wishes.

Not to mention that post count doesn't mean jack around here. If it did, there might actually be some people that liked Souldog. :p

That's one thing you'll find to appreciate about CigarPass, we're not all other forums. We're unique, we do our own thing. We're not about giving members icons in their profiles as rewards for how many posts they have, how many bombs they sent out, etc. Here, everyone is on the same playing field, everyone is accountable for what they post. Reputation systems do nothing but hinder the performace of a true community. If a private forum were created, the community would be segregated. I hate the idea that certain members are allowed access to a secret section of a community - that is what kids do in Jr High. When you start rewarding certain members over others, you're only hurting the community; but then again, we're a community NOT a forum. ;)

Our rules are in place to keep this community safe. Our rules are few, should be easy to follow. Please abide by them.

Thanks,
Rod

It wouldn't pull anything away from the rest of the forum, though, as it would be discussing sources, something that can't get discussed currently. Understood though, it was just a thought.

I hate the idea that certain members are allowed access to a secret section of a community - that is what kids do in Jr High. When you start rewarding certain members over others, you're only hurting the community; but then again, we're a community NOT a forum. ;)

I've seen this type of thing first hand....and its extremely hard to regulate. Its model works to an extent, but its not without its liabilities and consequences. Even if its known not to be a "secret" section but a "members" section where the members are nominated and agreed upon...its still a very touchy thing. Even if you specifically say they aren't "rewarded" per se..

The worst part is when in a member is in violation and for some reason is banned or demoted. Because we aren't all in sitting in a room in real life, theres many behind the scenes things that happen that only some know about. So your "forum buddy" is banned. Its really none of your business, yet you will want to defend him or her...its a can of worms you don't want to deal with...trust me.

Not trying to start a discussion, but echoing Rod's statements. He has a model, a community, it works and theres no reason to change it. :)

That's one thing you'll find to appreciate about CigarPass, we're not all other forums. We're unique, we do our own thing. We're not about giving members icons in their profiles as rewards for how many posts they have, how many bombs they sent out, etc. Here, everyone is on the same playing field, everyone is accountable for what they post. Reputation systems do nothing but hinder the performace of a true community. If a private forum were created, the community would be segregated. I hate the idea that certain members are allowed access to a secret section of a community - that is what kids do in Jr High. When you start rewarding certain members over others, you're only hurting the community; but then again, we're a community NOT a forum. ;)

Our rules are in place to keep this community safe. Our rules are few, should be easy to follow. Please abide by them.

Thanks,
Rod

There's a reason I've gravitated to CP more, and away from where my cigar BB roots are, and it's the attitude displayed by Rod above. This is a great community and I appreciate all the hard work he's put into it.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but every time I see Rod make a post like this I come away even more impressed with his character.

Ok, enough cheese. Let's get back to cigar talk.