• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Spaten Optimator Dark - My new go-to beer!

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
I stumbled across this gem when my buddy received a "Beer of the Worlds" sampler for Christmas, and we finally decided to try a couple of the beers. After dividing the bottle between two glasses, we went outside on the balcony and fired up a couple Punch Rare Corojos to enjoy alongside the beer. I have to say, I was extremely surprised at how much I enjoyed that beer! The color reminds me of Guinness almost, but the body of it is more reminiscent of a Newcastle. The flavors were incredible, with a more prominent smoke/charred hickory flavor up front, but the finish had hints of coffee and a sweetness I couldn't put my finger on. It was super smooth as well, and had a little kick to it in the alcohol department that I was not expecting, as I didn't look at the % before I started drinking it. While not high compared to some brews, at 7.5% it was higher than many others. Not strong, but just stronger than normal, and it balanced out the cigar perfectly. I was so smitten by this beer, that I promptly went and picked up a six pack at BevMo! to ensure that it was indeed as good as I had thought. After drinking a few more, I realized that my go to beers had another contender! I will be picking up more of this brew. Also, I find it better when cold, not room temperature, which was surprising as usually I enjoy darker beers when they are warmer.

4135.jpg

Any beer ending with -ator is worth a try!

Try Celebrator!
It is a old favorite!

-Rob

I've got a sixer in the fridge...The sweetness in it reminds me of chocolate.

Any beer ending with -ator is worth a try!

Try Celebrator!
It is a old favorite!

-Rob

Will do, my fellow BOTL that smokes with me every Saturday and myself enjoy going to BevMo! and grabbing random beers to try out. I will add this to the list of beers I am picking up this weekend, thank you! :thumbs:

I've got a sixer in the fridge...The sweetness in it reminds me of chocolate.

THAT'S what it is! Chocolate, absolutely right! Thank you, now I can lay that nagging feeling to rest, hehe. I can't wait to crack open another one of these this weekend and fire up a FFOX.

Ayinger Celebrator is a tad better of a doppelbock, nevertheless it is a very good beer.

I haven't had many doppelbocks, perhaps maybe three including this one. I am thinking I need to sample a wider variety of them, and I am going to take your recommendation and run with it! Thank you!

Try it on tap! Even better! I had some at the Yard House and really enjoyed it! Youngs Double Chocolate Stout on tap is awesome too! :thumbs:

Oh man, if I had known about this beer the last time I had went to Yard House, it would have been all I had drank! I agree, Young's Double Chocolate Stout is amazing as well, but I noticed that bottled it didn't have the same delicious taste that it did when I first had it draft. Ugh, now I need to go to Yard House this weekend...

The dudes above recommending the Celebrator know what they're talkin' about, I agree obviously.

Also, try the Double Bag by Long Trail Brewing, and if you're feeling crazy some Maudite by Unibraue

~R

Any idea of where I could find those? I am going to try BevMo!, and if I find them there I will let you know :thumbs:

Dopplebock is one of my favorite beer styles to drink with a cigar. I'd second the Celebrator recommendation. We just started getting Weihenstephaner Korbinian in my area. It is definitely worth a try as well.

Dopplebock is one of my favorite beer styles to drink with a cigar. I'd second the Celebrator recommendation. We just started getting Weihenstephaner Korbinian in my area. It is definitely worth a try as well.

As far as I'm concerned, Weihenstephaner is the brewery (at least of the ones available in the the US) that all German beers shoud be measured against. I'm not a huge Celebrator fan personally, but I know I'm in the minority. Luckily for me there are also two different breweries near that make great Dopplebocks too.

I love me some doppelbocks. Of those I've had, Celebrator is tops. Curator is also very good. For something different, try an Aventinus - it's a wheat doppel. Imagine the thick, malty, sweetness of a doppelbock plus the clovey goodness of a German wheat beer and you'll be close.

oops, sorry gents!
I mislinked the Long Trail Double Bag previously. that link is right...

As for where to get the stuff? I'd just hit the biggest baddest specialty liquor store with a 'nice beer section' neither of these is all that uncommon. Celebrator should be there too!

~R

oops, sorry gents!

As for where to get the stuff? I'd just hit the biggest baddest specialty liquor store with a 'nice beer section' neither of these is all that uncommon. Celebrator should be there too!

~R

I could definitely be wrong, but I don't think Long Trail makes it out of NE.

Just had my first Optimator tonight...

Wife and I definatley agree that upon the first pour it had a BIG floral scent... First drink was awesome. I didn't let it get to cold in the fridge so the tempature didn't take away from the flavors... Right off the bat I was kicked in the mouth with a bittersweet taste... Not too bitter though.. just right... All the way through this brew was fantastic... I'm surprised too.. I found this on base at the Class Six Shoppette

I love the Optimator since I tried it in the early 80s. Just had one tonight! I discovered it after I explored the Munich beers that are sadly imported "for the American market" now and aren't the same. Makes me want to go to Oktoberfest!! :D

Steve

dd1jf4.jpg

This was the last bottle in a sixer I bought. I enjoyed the Optimator a lot, in fact, a whole heck of a lot more than the Budweiser-esque Spaten Premium. I'm looking forward to trying their Oktoberfest.

oops, sorry gents!

~R

I could definitely be wrong, but I don't think Long Trail makes it out of NE.
It does, but it's a waste on you flatlanders. We get it in 24oz bottles, which I've been told, is not distributed outside the Green Mtn. State.

Doc.

Try Paulaner Salvator too.
+1 Another great brew ... I also enjoy Ayinger Dunkel, cheaper then Celebrator and oh so good.

On another note and not a german beer but same style, I would recommend trying Sam Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) ... one of there better beers.

For those in the Mpls area, they have Optimator on tap at the Gastof in NE Mpls.

Very very good stuff, especially on tap with amazing authentic German food.