• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Starter scotch?

The Doublewood seems to be the go-to for scotch newbies, but I'll throw Johnnie Walker Green Label out there as well. I actually don't like the Black, but the Green is the complete opposite for me.

Macallan 12 year Fine Oak. :love:

Which reminds me I need to pick up a bottle!

Macallan 12 year seems to have broken alot of folks into the great world of scotch myself included. But the bottle that cemented my love of scotch early on was an Edradour 10 year.

I have been going to the Achuentoshan Classic a lot lately, it's smooth, sweet and just full of aroma and taste.

Macallan 12
Balvenie 12
Highland Park 12
Laphroaig 10 (if you like peaty and smoky whisky)

I also just started getting into scotch over the last 6 months. I started with Chivas, which I didn't quite care for, then moved to Johnny Walker Black which I thoroughly enjoy still. I also really like Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12, and Macallan 12, but the best "starter" scotch for me was Balvenie Doublewood (even though I don't believe it is only a starter :p).

Definitely read up on AVB's reviews! It is a tremendous resource!

Aberlour 10 year or Bennevis 10 year old are lovely smooth whiskies so is Tullibardine 10 year old but my favourite of the smooth whiskies would be a Glen Grant 10 year old.

IMHO for a good beginner scotch I would go with a bottle of Old Pulteney 12 year, it's light flavorful and smooth. I found it very easy to pick out the different flavors like sea air, brine, honey, apples and a bit of chocolate. And this one has a very nice finish. Highly recommended!! :D

The Macallan 12 is what got me started. I tried black label before and never liked it. Not too much a fan of blended scotch.