• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Steak Preparations

Shake on Lowry's, crushed black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper on both sides and grill. Let it rest and eat it. Yum!

Sea salt and cracked peppercorns then I let it sit for most of the day, and then when grilled jus a pinch of seasoning salt.

I follow the basic prep (room temperature etc), but like others, I like keeping it simple, with good cuts of meat. Adding salt to a raw cut makes it dryer, so I don't do that.

If I want some flavours, I do one of two things:

1: Red wine and paprika. Complements the meat nicely. Caramelise some finely minced onions, chuck in the red wine and paprika into a super-hot pan and cook.

2. Often I sautee muchrooms with some White wine, garlic and butter. I tip some of the sauce into a pan and cook the steak in that. It comlements the mushrooms then. That always goes well with some mashed potato. Perfect with lamb french cutlets too, with some grilled asparagus on top.

Man, if that doesn't get your mouth watering....

Much the same for me rub some EVO little sea salt cruched peppercorns and let the cow and the coal do the work.

As for the buying of a cow and "harvesting your own meat" this has always intrigued me. Only issue I see is that my experiences with frozen meats are usually not that positive so I always buy fresh quality cuts but, I would be interested in hearing thoughts on this anybody have any experiences?

When I buy in bulk I vac seal the meat then in a large cooler fill with dry ice (don't lock cooler will pop the top) after the meat is compleatly frosen put into freaser. Thus freasing the meat fast creating small ice crystels. While a regular freaser freases slowley creating large ice crystels drying out the meat whean cooked.
You can do the same thing with seasonal berries to retain flavor and shape.

Edit to add vac seal not nessory but keeps out freeser burn

I guess if I didn't like the taste of steak I would marinade it to taste like something else. LOL! :D

Like others have said a good cut does not need much more added other than a little salt and pepper. As hot as you can get your grill and never cook a steak past Med with Med rare being optimal. I wouldn't cook a steak with any other wood than Mesquite.

Thanks for the great info, so there is a trick. go figure.

Hows teh taste? does it toughen up or mute the flavor / natural juices at all?

When I buy in bulk I vac seal the meat then in a large cooler fill with dry ice (don't lock cooler will pop the top) after the meat is compleatly frosen put into freaser. Thus freasing the meat fast creating small ice crystels. While a regular freaser freases slowley creating large ice crystels drying out the meat whean cooked.
You can do the same thing with seasonal berries to retain flavor and shape.

Edit to add vac seal not nessory but keeps out freeser burn

I have never had a problem than again im a black and blue type of guy.

edit to add : defrost in fridge

I'm w/ BigJake... my nod goes to HEB's NY Strip. :thumbs:

For a change of pace from the usual Salt & Pepper:

Grab a gallon size Ziplock bag and slide your favorite cut of steak in
pour your favorite Soy Sauce in, nicely coating all sides
rest in the refrigerator for about 3 hours, set on counter for a half hour before grilling

In to the pit I toss in a few soaked pecan chips, it goes great with the flavor of the soy.
Grill to perfection.

Mmmm all this talk about steak is making me Hungry!!!

Salt, pepper, garlic....

light a match in the same room...

and we are done

Tim

For a steak stir fry try this sauce.
1 tbl spoon red/brown miso
3 tbl spoon lite soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 tea spoon brown sugar
2 tbl spoon rice wine vinigar
1 tea spoon minced garlic
1 tea spoon minced ginger
pepper flakes/hot sauce to taste
1 tes spoon starch - to thickn if sauce gets watery

I like the flavor of meat. I keep it simple.
I take the steaks (I like Ribeys) out and put them in a dish. Mix a little olive oil, Lea N Perrins, and some left over red wine. Mix. Pour over steaks then kosher salt ground pepper.

Grill over molten hot charcoal. DONE

Don't want to toot my own horn here but when I ask my kids where they want to go for dinner on their birthdays they all say they want me to cook for them.

I love a ribeye or NY Strip on the grill. I have to keep it simple though; just garlic powder, fresh cracked pepper and salt.

First, I buy cuts of beef that are already tender and graded USDA Choice or Prime. I like Top loin, NY strip, Tenderloin, Porterhouse, and Rib eye. They don't require marinading and it would be a sin if you did. Freshly ground pepper and maybe rub a garlic clove all over it. Throw it on a hot grill. Cook till medium rare. That's it. If it's good beef, it doesn't need anymore.

Doc.

Exactly. A chef friend of mine who is fairly well known these days nationally, taught me long ago the only three things you'll ever need on a good steak: salt, ground pepper, a drizzle of extra virgin, first-cold pressed olive oil. A garlic clove can be used to, but, as Doc said, only to rub on the steak. To this day, I limit my steak preparation to those three things, only rarely using garlic.

I'm in the simple camp.
Olive oil (a must for penetrating the surface of the meat)
Lawrys Seasoned pepper
Worcestershire Sauce
Maybe a little bit of a steak seasoning like McCormicks

Room temperature steak, salt & pepper, grill so hot the meat bounces when it lands.......cook it Pittsburgh style (black & blue)

Then drizzle two Tspns of Lanning's Steak sauce. It's a water thin, secret, sauce made at a restaurant near me. The following people can attest to the unbeatable taste of this stuff:

Jonesy
Seth
Jfields
Mysterea
Wilkey (maybe)

I wanted to start this thread to see what everyone uses for steak marinades/ seasonings/ preparation. Many People have very unique combinations, and I am always willing to try something new. I have listed two of my personal steak preparations, please feel free to add yours as a reference so we can all try it as well.

Steak Prep #1:
Put the steaks in a ziplock freezer bag.
Fill the bag with orange juice up to about 2/3 of the width of the steaks. (OJ acts as a natural tenderizer because of the acidity)
Then top it off with about 1/3rd of a bottle of Worcestershire Sauce.
Then I add my seasonings, you can use your portions however you prefer.
McCormick's Steak Rub
McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning
McCormick's Lemon Pepper
I then shake it up and get the spices floating around.
Leave it in the fridge for at least 6 hours to let the OJ acids do their thing.

Steak Prep #2:
Coat the steak in Olive Oil
Add McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning to both sides
Then sprinkle a few dabs of Worcestershire
Cut off Margarine as the steak is grilling, leave a slice or two on the upper side and dont rotate until melted. Flip the steak over and add margarine to the other side.

Looking forward to trying this out, never used citrus before. I have used coke before with good results. Thanks for starting the thread.

C&R

I've used the O.J. trick on lesser cuts of meat before. Also, try to mix the O.J. withs Jim Beam. The real trick is to just get a good cut. I grew up with fresh meat from the farm. We still butcher once a year, just doesn't seem to go as far anymore. The only thing we have ever done is a light coat of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire followed by Lowry's, Lemon Pepper, and Cavenders. Works every time.