• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Steve Jobs

KChiefsfan

I will smoke a special cigar tonight in memory of Steve Jobs. One of the greatest innovators of our time. Will you do the same?

And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve’s wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.

Tim

What did he invent that we didn't have before? Marketing practices do not count.

Backside, for one, he was the first to put multiple fonts in a computer. Since Microsoft copies everything Apple does, we can pretty much thank him for the fact that we're not all typing in DOS text.

You can always tell the Mac haters ;)

What did he invent that we didn't have before? Marketing practices do not count. Oops sorry for the double post, silly phone.

So I should thank him for a font?

To paraphrase something I read in an article on him: "Bill Gates put a computer on every desk. Steve Jobs put a computer in every pocket, purse, and palm".

Computers and compact music devices were around before Jobs and Apple got to it. However, Apple, under direction and vision of Steve Jobs, revolutionized the technology to a point that Apple is pretty much the standard for almost all personal computing and music devices. Apple doesn't attempt to "keep up" with others' technologies and breakthroughs. The rest of the industry is usually left trying to keep up with the Apple products.

Jobs used a Wayne Gretzky quote once to define his vision for Apple. Again, a paraphrase, "I don't skate to where the puck already is, or has been. I skate to where the puck is going to be".

If what you're saying is correct then why is the new iPhone 4s just now getting 4g and a dule core processor. Seems like apple is playing catch up to me.

As far as their personal computers, they all use the same hardware as traditional PC's. How is that considered leading in the industry? Hell if you want a cutting edge PC your only option is a non MAC. As you don't. Have to wait for them to release a divice with said hardware. When was the last time you were able to upgrade just the motherboard or CPU in a Mac?

My argument is that Mac is all hype and marketing not the products themselves.

You want to use the most virus ridden program and infect your devices. Use iTunes. Steve Jobs was a tenuous and Apple will start to collapse now that his vision is gone. Just like it is easy to spot a hater, it is just as easy to spot a fanboy.

I've used Macs at home and PC/Microsoft at work for over a decade. Mac is just plain better. Sleeker, slicker, easier, and nearly virus proof (although that last is more a product of market share than design). If you're a gamer, or a fiddler, then yes, PC is the way to go. If you just want something beautiful that edits out the gears and pulleys and buttons and levers from your experience of the interface . . . that would be Apple.

And we have Steve Jobs' vision for product design to thank for that. Some people want to build their own computer and manage its every little function. Some people want something that runs like a dream right out of the box, as soon as you press the on button. Isn't it wonderful we have those choices?

~Boar

Boar, you wrote a great post that I respect entirely :).

I really do love having a choice in the market place, that allows for us to find what works best.

Over the years the iSheep really started to aggravate me beyond belief. I used to really respect Apple before Steve Jobs came back. Well maybe even into the early iPod days.

It's hard to get past all the retards that worship Steve Jobs, and really don't know anything about him. They also falsely claim that Apple is best when in fact it's not. They are a great alternative but, they're far from what a lot of iFans think.

IDK. Kind of a far cry from what the OP was trying to do Backslide. Why don't you just piss on Jobs' grave instead of talking about it, or go smoke something in celebration of his death since you seem to loathe him so much.

I'm no fanboy, and i just got an iPhone a month ago with my little regular upgrade, so don't try to label me as a supporter Backside, but this discussion has gone way far from the original point of this post.

I will smoke a special cigar tonight in memory of Steve Jobs. One of the greatest innovators of our time. Will you do the same?
IDK. Kind of a far cry from what the OP was trying to do Backslide. Why don't you just piss on Jobs' grave instead of talking about it, or go smoke something in celebration of his death since you seem to loathe him so much.

I'm no fanboy, and i just got an iPhone a month ago with my little regular upgrade, so don't try to label me as a supporter Backside, but this discussion has gone way far from the original point of this post.

Guess a simple "No" was to much to ask for.....

I did read the linked story, the tone from the author reminds me of someone else I studied in history class, a Senator from Wisconsin, around the mid-1950's.......

#iamanapplefanboy

Tim