• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storing cigars in there boxes

I'm new, so please excuse my ignorance, but on the Boveda website and on several Youtube vids I've seen with people from Boveda they've said that it's perfectly fine to have the Boveda packs in direct contact with my cigars. But in this thread CigarStone said that's not a good idea. So now I'm confused. Which is true? What happens if these packs are in direct contact with my cigars?

I'm new, so please excuse my ignorance, but on the Boveda website and on several Youtube vids I've seen with people from Boveda they've said that it's perfectly fine to have the Boveda packs in direct contact with my cigars. But in this thread CigarStone said that's not a good idea. So now I'm confused. Which is true? What happens if these packs are in direct contact with my cigars?
I don't think it would be a huge deal, but it's not good practice. The Boveda is a two way humidification device which has liquid inside of it. Common sense would say if a cigar is under this pack, the cigar will be exposed to a lot of humidity changes as well as maybe some of the gel. If you have the option I wouldn't chance it. If your only play is to lay the cigar under or over the packs I think you will be fine but I'd recommend planning on how you will change it going forward.

I don't think it would be a huge deal, but it's not good practice. The Boveda is a two way humidification device which has liquid inside of it. Common sense would say if a cigar is under this pack, the cigar will be exposed to a lot of humidity changes as well as maybe some of the gel. If you have the option I wouldn't chance it. If your only play is to lay the cigar under or over the packs I think you will be fine but I'd recommend planning on how you will change it going forward.
Thanks for the reply, I have ordered the cedar holders for my Boveda packs, that should be enough, yes?

Thanks for the reply, I have ordered the cedar holders for my Boveda packs, that should be enough, yes?
Yeah I would think so. I don't know what kind of humidor you have, but if you can mount the cedar holder to the lid so its as far away as possible you'll be good to go.

IIRC, a vendor some years ago sold a vendor-exclusive MFLB box that many of us purchased. If memory serves correct, he had some Boveda packs leak inside of the boxes in shipment to folks.

Keep in mind, a lot of boxes you order online could have been sitting in the Bethlehem warehouse for years.. factory-sealed and just sitting on a shelf. And they've been shipping them that way for 30 years-ish.

Definitely feel free to crack them open to make sure all is well as return windows can vary. But sticking them still sealed right into a cooler that's set up correctly will be fine.

I've opened up sealed boxes that I've had for 2+ years and have only had an issue once (those Cohiba Macassar boxes.. which they took back almost 7mos later.. buy only because of my ridiculous annual spend with them.. I was an exception.). Always a good idea to check them on delivery day.