• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storing cigars that come in tubes

FightingIrish

Now just today I went and bought my first cigars! (all the others i had smoked had been just given to me for free) Anyways one of them was a Romeo y Julieta Romeo's Court. Now it came in an aluminum tube, and I was wondering when I store it in my humi, should i take it out of the tube or keep it in? I couldn't find a topic on this so if this has already been asked sorry bout that.

Paul

Edit: Another question. Should I have the cigars keep in my humi for a little while before I smoke them, or since they were in the walk-in humi at my cigar shop, are they already somewhat aged?

Irish,

They can be stored as normal in your humi. I just stick mine in there like the others, tube and all.

As for the letting them sit question. Most walk ins keep their humidity a tad high, depending on how you like yours. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with lighting one up right away, but I would let them sit a few days in YOUR humi just so that they have a chance to get where you like them.

/2cents

Irish,

They can be stored as normal in your humi. I just stick mine in there like the others, tube and all.

As for the letting them sit question. Most walk ins keep their humidity a tad high, depending on how you like yours. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with lighting one up right away, but I would let them sit a few days in YOUR humi just so that they have a chance to get where you like them.

/2cents
Yeah, what he said! :thumbs:

thanks for the replies, yeah i realize they were total newb questions, but i am just that. everyone was a newb once.

I usually take the caps off of the tubos for about 3 weeks to let them get aclimated to my humi and then I put them back on.

I always set new purchases down for about 3 weeks before smoking them as most places tend to over humidify their smokes.

Hope this helps.
~Mark

thanks for the replies, yeah i realize they were total newb questions, but i am just that. everyone was a newb once.

Hey, no worries at all! These are the questions just about every person here has had at some point or another. Stick around, you'll be AMAZED at all the great info you will pick up here!

I always set new purchases down for about 3 weeks before smoking them as most places tend to over humidify their smokes.

CI is horrible about sending wet cigars, JR Cigars does it as well.

And your right it does take at least a month to make them taste good again.

lol I keep my humi at 65% with viper's beads, it never fails as soon as I place a CI or JR bundle in it, it shoots right up over 70% Usually I have to take the beads out, dry them out and place them back in to get it back down to where I like my smokes.

I usually take the caps off of the tubos for about 3 weeks to let them get aclimated to my humi and then I put them back on.

Hope this helps.
~Mark

Right on. If I have the room, I remove them from the tubes entirely for a month then I stuff em back in, cap em, and let them rest.

Wilkey

Infinity is being subtle; but, I believe in being straight-forward.

Either way, the message is SEARCH :)

I am a noob but there are levels of noobiness. I am a one-year-noob. So I understand more than you but less than a three-year-noob. One thing you pick up on before too long is that FOGs get tired of answering the same questions. They don't want to discourage question-asking so they gently suggest the search feature. It answers the questions quickly and then if that doesn't work, everyone here is more than willing to help.

Just wanted to make sure Infinity wasn't being TOO subtle.

Oh, and I agree, caps off for a few weeks then GENTLY put them on again so they are not airtight.

All the best, Steve C.

Now just today I went and bought my first cigars! (all the others i had smoked had been just given to me for free) Anyways one of them was a Romeo y Julieta Romeo's Court. Now it came in an aluminum tube, and I was wondering when I store it in my humi, should i take it out of the tube or keep it in? I couldn't find a topic on this so if this has already been asked sorry bout that.

Paul

Edit: Another question. Should I have the cigars keep in my humi for a little while before I smoke them, or since they were in the walk-in humi at my cigar shop, are they already somewhat aged?

Do Not store it at all! Drop what you're doing and take it out of the tube and smoke it right now! :p

sorry about that. like i said in the first post, i did search, but nothing applicable came up. So i either used bad search terms, or the search function wasn't working right.

I hate tubes,aluminum or glass and always discard them.
I never had luck with a good smokeing cigar out of a tube.

You might feel differently if you'd had a cigar that was aged in a tube for 10 years or more ;)

Seems like someone just posed this question :whistling:

No problem though; as for me, I just take the caps off and store them in my humi that way. I don't ever bother putting the caps back on the tubes, unless of course I give one to someone.

I hate tubes,aluminum or glass and always discard them.
I never had luck with a good smokeing cigar out of a tube.

Interesting. Did you find a problem with the flavor? The condition of the cigar?

I haven't smoked a 10-year old tubos but 8-9 year old ones, sure. They've been just fine and if I didn't know they came from a tube, I wouldn't be able to tell.

Wilkey

Well I just smoked a Partagas Decadas that comes in the glass tube with cork, and I did not take it out of the tube to let it rest. I don't know how long they are in the tube before the are released to the public, but I would imaginge a fair time. I let it rest for months in the humi before lighting it up and I thought it tasted very dry. On the other hand I smoked a Decadas that I had taken out of the tube and let rest and I thought it was a really good cigar.

Based on that one experience I think I will take them out of the tube or at least open the cap and let them rest in MY humidity.

Brandon

I only bought tubed cigars once....RyJ Clemenceaus....a ten pack from JRs. Anyway, I threw 'em in the humidor with the cap screwed off. Three weeks later,all had a bit of mold on 'em. None of my other sticks did. So I pulled 'em out of my aluminum tubes and placed them in a small 'quarantined' desktop humidor after wiping the white stuff off. They smoked great and none of the white stuff returned. Probably just a weird occurence since I've never had mold issues with any of my sticks and my humidors never get about 68 to 69 percent humidity.