• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Story - Be Careful

MTovarez

Michael
Dear CP,

I have had a crazy past 36 hours and I'd like to share. Here's the short story of what happened:

Tuesday night around 9:45pm my wife (Sara) and I heard loud yelling and shouting from our neighbor's apartment (one that always has trash and kids' toys outside). We heard a woman yell "Help me! Call the police!" and kids yelling "Don't hurt her!". Sara called 911 and I got dressed. We went out on the balcony to see what was going on, and we saw a woman with two young kids ask a young man across the street for help. She got into that young man's truck and locked herself in. A large guy was yelling and cussing at the young man for helping and at the woman. I decided to go down to see if I could help.

The guy walked back toward the complex - toward me. We crossed paths and stared at each other. He dared me to say something. I could smell alcohol on his breath. I politely said "Excuse me". He yelled, "What did you say to me?" I was ready to fight if I had to, but I knew he was pissed and I was trying to calm him down, so I said, "Pardon me, excuse me" in the politest voice I could muster. Then he pulled a gun out of the back of his shorts, cocked it, raised it in the air and said, "Get the fuck out of my face!".

I raised my hands to show him I did not have a weapon and started backing away slowly. I asked where he wanted me to go, and he repeated "Just get the fuck out of my face." about five times. Needless to say, I did, and started walking away. So did he. Then I went to check on the woman, her children, and the young man who had helped...when the guy drove by us in a blue car. He yelled at the woman about the cops being called, said he was going to his sisters, and cussed at me for interfering. Then he sped off. The woman was battered some, but the kids were fine.

The cops took about 45 minutes to get there. We all waited outside for them. I gave a statement and they said they were going to go after the guy that night. I found out late yesterday that they caught him. He tried to come back to the property. He was suicidal. The cops had to taser him to get him down, then they took him to a mental institution.

Aftermath: The guy, the woman, and the kids were not even on the lease. So, the real tenant is being evicted. The guy is still in the mental hospital but has other warrants out. He goes directly from the mental inst. to jail. My wife and I are moving. Thank God everyone is ok.

MT

WOW, glad your ok. But thats a crazy story. Was it in a local paper or on TV?

wow. glad you are ok could have been very bad.
sorry you have to uproot and move but i can see how you would want to get out of that area asap just in case that guy gets out for any reason.

Holy crap bro!!! I'm glad that you and your wife are okay, as well as the neighbors. Good for you for helping out someone in need, but I also am glad you knew when to pack it in and give way. Who knwos what that psycho could have done had you not done what he asked.

God was looking over you, and it seems that you were looking over that family. :thumbs: karma is a good thing bro...and I think you just picked up some points!

Stay safe bro!

-Aaron

Holy crap!! I am glad that you are ok. You never know what could have happened. That is cool that you stepped up though to help people in need.

Dear CP,

... The woman was battered some, but the kids were fine.

Another reason ALL Women need some self defense training. It teaches you not just how to defend yourself, but how to AVOID a dangerous situation, and gives you the confidence you need to be able to do what's necessary and get out of a bad situation.

My wife holds multiple blackbelts, and teaches private lessons in Combat Hapkido which is about as nasty as you can get in real world self defense. She's been asked to teach at the College this year as well.

Everyone needs to know how to protect themselves. Not just physically, but overall.

Thank God you and your wife are OK, as well as the victim and her kids.
May he ROT in jail.

It is sad to think that in trying to help this young lady and her kids, you may have changed your wife's future by putting your life at risk.

Counselors will tell you, when someone is raging like that, no amount of sense can be spoken to them...the adrenalin is pumping way too hard for them to even hear what you're saying.

Thank God nothing happened to you, but please think twice if ever confronted with a similar situation. Tend to the victims and stay away from the offender.

That's very fortunate that you have self control and didn't mouth off to that scumbag like alot of people would have. I don't believe he would have hesitated for a second to pull the trigger if you had gotten in his face or said something to him about the way he was acting. You just never know what might happen. Glad you're safe and getting the heck out of there.

Glad everyone is safe and where they should be. Good for you being a good samaritan. :thumbs: Since you are moving... how about a house, call me, maybe I can do my good deed for the day. :D

My wife and I are moving. Thank God everyone is ok.
I guess that says it all.

Brian
I'll say.

I'm glad you're safe and moving. I commend your chivalrous nature.

It's sad that it has come to this, but I think the most help anyone can safely give to victims is a 911 call and attention once the danger has passed. It's hard to resist the urge to jump in, but it's a good way to get yourself injured or killed. Unless you have training for it, confronting violent assholes is not something a person should be doing if it all possible.

Glad you are safe.

After he pulled the gun, someone should have re-called 911 and told them of the escalating situation and the cops would have been there pronto instead of 45 minutes later. Once he pulled that gun the situation could have turned real ugly real fast, plus, the cops need to know what they are facing when they arrive as well. Sounds like overall it all ended well considering no innocents were hurt (other than the emotional issues the children face).

Danny

I am glad you are ok!!! Where in Houston was this, I live in the Med Center. You have to watch out for the crazy people down here! maybe we can meet up and enjoy a smoke before you pack up and move!

Don't ever get involved in a domestic dispute. Call the Police. I've known of battered wives turning on the good Samaritan.

Doc.

Wow....glad everyone is ok. That is why you should call 911 and wait for the cops before getting involved. No sense getting killed over someone you don't know.

Glad to hear your ok! Thats crazy!!

Don't ever get involved in a domestic dispute. Call the Police. I've known of battered wives turning on the good Samaritan.

Doc.
Very true. The situation can turn from 1 rescuer vs 1 tyrant to 2 on 1 really fast. I'm glad this situation worked out well for you.

That is a scary story. I am glad it turned out the way it did because it could have gone a more tragic route.

wow...that is insane! I'm glad everyone is ok. Good luck with the move!