• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stripes in the Ash...

toliver

During lunch I slipped out on the loading dock of my office and had a Rocky Patel Edge Missle. It was a little harsh for the first couple of draws, but settled down and was not bad. It was not the best I have ever had nor was it the worse.

The ash started out really dark in color, about an inch into it the ash became white and dark striped. What caused the difference in color? Is it the different leaves used to make the cigar or maybe the different moisture levels in the leaves? In reading a recent review by cigardawg, the ash he described was white (the cigar had been aged for 5 years). I have had some the the ash was tight and white and I have had others that are dark.

Just wondering the difference.

Thanks,

Ash color can depend on the wrapper. also, was the dark line where a vein could have been?

Here it is.

This is not a good pic, I was too close to focus.

RPEDGE_edited.jpg

Some believe the more complete the combustion the lighter the ash. I tend to believe it has to do with the make up of the soil nutrients the tobacco was grown in.

toliver,

I think what you're seeing is most likely a combination of things. Here are things I've noticed and deduced from my experience with cigars as well as some general knowledge about combustion.

1. When you see a very fine dark line on an otherwise lighter colored ash, it is most likely a vein (as tmj said). Check to see if the line aligns with any visible veins on the wrapper or perhaps just subsurface on the binder. Here's a picture of a fairly obvious example. The cigar is the Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixote.
ash_vein.jpg

2. If you see a wide (1/8"), diffuse channel of darker ash running straight down the ash, roughly parallel to the cigar body, this is most likely due to a a channel of more loosely packed filler underneath the binder and wrapper. Oftentimes, this coincides with a run.

3. If you see stripes or ridges of alternating dark and light bands that cut across the ash, this is most likely due to changes in combustion conditions. Such as a quicker or slower draw.

The ash color, in general, is determined by two conditions both of which are mentioned by bmickey. These are trace mineral content AND combustion condition. From the field of analytical chemistry (with which I've had experience over the years as and engineer) ash color is considered to be a clue to mineral content. The reason being that if combustion is complete, all that should be produced is heat, water and carbon dioxide leaving any remaining minerals and metals which do not burn. The test I've performed is called "ash content."

Combustion conditions are also important because not only the rate of burn but the availability of sufficient oxygen for complete combustion determines the extent to which this is achieved. If you have a torch lighter, try dabbing the unburnt wrapper as well as the ash with the flame and you can see the affect additional or modified combustion conditions can have on ash color.

I hope that helps more than it confuses.

Wilkey

jabba said:
Wilkey,

Did you bite off that cap? LOL
[snapback]275372[/snapback]​

Nahh. I think that was one of the early cigars on which I was practicing using my pocket knife. I have had caps come loose when I moisten them up a bit htough.

you need to change from the mellow yellow brother to the cigar professor Wilkey lol.

Wilkey, that is the reason I read this site...clear, easy to understand explanations. Nice work!

Robert

Wilkey,

That was a great explanation! You continue to amaze me with your depth of knowledge and great explanations! Thanks! :)

-Nate

The heck with the explanation ( ;) )... I want one of those drool worthy cigars he's holding :thumbs: