• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stupid Question

gmiranda33

One of my best customers came by the store today with a box of Cubans he just got. Here comes the stupid question....

The box was wrapped with celophane, I have never seen this before and to my knowledge, Cuba did not celophane their boxes. So does anyone know if Cuba is now celophaning their boxes.

I suppose it's' possible that a vendor put cellophane on it after the fact, say for shipping purposes.

One of my best customers came by the store today with a box of Cubans he just got. Here comes the stupid question....

The box was wrapped with celophane, I have never seen this before and to my knowledge, Cuba did not celophane their boxes. So does anyone know if Cuba is now celophaning their boxes.
You mean shrinkwrapped? It's not part of their standard operating procedure as far as I know. Perhaps it's something his shipper did?

Wilkey

Ahh,

Shrinkwrapping is polyethylene film, not cellophane. But that's beside the point. No, it's not Habanos SA SOP.

Did the box have a glass top? :sign:

Wilkey

Did he want you to sell them for him? :laugh:

Shrink wrapping is never done in Cuba. None of the vendors I have used over the years do this, but that doesn't mean that some don't. In general Hoyo Epi 2's are not counterfitted. Usually it is Cohiba, Montecristo and RyJ that are the most counterfitted brands.

I saw shrink wrapping about 10+ years ago in a grocery store in Venezuela. I guess they couldn't invest in a humidor and the shrink wrapping was a bandaid solution to keep the counterfit cigars from drying up. John

Shrink wrapping is never done in Cuba. None of the vendors I have used over the years do this, but that doesn't mean that some don't. In general Hoyo Epi 2's are not counterfitted. Usually it is Cohiba, Montecristo and RyJ that are the most counterfitted brands.

100% agreement.

cheers
drew p

I've got an empty counterfeit HdM Epi 1 box. It's certainly not as common as Cohibas and Bolivars but it does happen. About the only cigars that I've yet to see counterfeited are Guantanameras and Quinteros.

Wilkey

I've got an empty counterfeit HdM Epi 1 box. It's certainly not as common as Cohibas and Bolivars but it does happen. About the only cigars that I've yet to see counterfeited are Guantanameras and Quinteros.

Wilkey

My dogs counterfeit them everyday :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I suspect that the low price point on those sticks make them less attractive to the counterfeiters (and the quality and taste less attractive to smokers)

It's sad how easily you can get fake cuban cigar bands and seals. I remember seeing a site a while back that offered unused bands and seals. SCARY!

Even though I've only used one very reputable vendor (and a lot of friends from another board) to get ISOMs I've still gotten the occasional fake.

Last month we had a rolling event at the cigar shop I work at. Guantanamera came to the shop and they had their own roller who'd been rolling for like 45 years and rolled for 14 of those in Cuba. I thought I was going to be generous and I brought a couple of HdM PCs to share. I gave one to the roller and to Jose (the owner of Guantanamera). They both looked at the cigars, gave them a little sniff, handed them back and their roller said "This is a fake." I looked surprised, so Jose said "It's 120% fake." You don't get much faker than that! :laugh: I trust the guy who I got them from implicitly, but even he managed to get fooled. I still smoked the hell out of them. They may have been fakes, but they were TASTY fakes. :laugh:

mealstrom, your statement : " Even though I've only used one very reputable vendor (and a lot of friends from another board) to get ISOMs I've still gotten the occasional fake."

If this is a reputable vendor then you should never get any fakes, not even one cigar. If you don't mind, pm me the name of this vendor, I am curious if it is someone I have used.

I have heard through a friends cousin, who's wife's brother that lives in another part of the world.....

....received several boxes from one of the reputable vendors listed on this board in vaccum sealed shrinkwrap.

I have heard through a friends cousin, who's wife's brother that lives in another part of the world.....

....received several boxes from one of the reputable vendors listed on this board in vaccum sealed shrinkwrap.

Funny, I heard the same thing! :whistling: