• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Suggestions for a beginner

CulturedHick

Aderaline Junkie
When I started drinking beer, I started with some of the mass produced beers. I went from Miller Lite to Bud Lite to Corona, and everything in between. After years of drinking those, they just started to taste flavorless and were not an enjoyable experience. I wanted deep complex flavors from my beer, just like I enjoy from my cigars.

As I am exploring the world of "better" beers, I have had several over the past 2 weeks:

Old Rasputin Stout had alot complex flavor that I enjoyed, but it was too intense for me. It seemed too malty, (maybe that is the right word), and had somewhat of a burnt flavor. I enjoyed the depth of the various flavors and will revisit this after I have had more experience with the "better" beers.

Arrogant Bastard Ale was good. Not too harsh and not too light. Nothing in particular stands out about this beer, it was just good and I will get some more.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout was great! I was very suprised how smooth this beer was since you could not see any light thru it. This beer has very balanced, deep, smooth flavors and was not too sweet.

Bellhave Scottish Ale was ok. It was a little light for my tastes without much flavor.

Hobgoblin Ale was ok, just really did not care for the flavor.

So you see what I like, what do you recommend that I try next?

I once heard a tale about an amazing beer...It won a blue ribbon back in the 19th century.. :sign:

On a serious note, have you had any experience with pale ales or ipa's? I found that I, personally, gravitate towards beers with a fairly bitter taste.

Surprised you didn't like Old Rasputin but loved Double Chocolate Stout. The Youngs DCS is served (like Guinness) with the nitro widget in the can, which helps give it that smooth, creamy consistency. If you liked that one you'd probably enjoy Guinness. It's very similar IMO.

The good thing is you're in Texas and I know there are some good breweries over there. If there's a brewery or a good brew pub around you I'd suggest giving it a try and buying a flight (a few ounces of an assortment of beers) that way you can explore around and see what you like and don't like.

The down-and-dirty cheat sheet I have for you is:

pale ales/India pale ales/double India pale ales are lighter in body with predominantly bitter and floral profiles. These beers rely more on their hops to round the beer out. Flavors and profiles will go from nicely balanced all the way to very bitter, floral, almost tropical.

Scotch ales/porters/stouts/imperial stouts are chewier, thicker, and more viscous brews. Darker, sweeter, and roastier than the aformentioned beers. These beers rely more on their roasted malts to round out the beer. Flavor profiles will be more akin to coffee, chocolate, caramel, toffee, etc.

Belgian/Abbey/Wheat beers use different yeast strains that give the beer a very different profile. These beers can range from light and refreshing to dark and intense. Flavor profiles are typically cloves, banana, coriander, candied fruits, wheat, etc.

That's just a very quick cheat sheet. It's missing a ton of different styles, profiles, nuances, etc. That's up to you to explore.

The two "gateway" beers I had that opened my eyes and let me know there were other things out there than Coors and Budweiser were New Castle and Bass Ale. Good beers in their own right, not intimidating, and available everywhere. Also, Sam Adams Boston Lager is quite good and another excellent "gateway" beer.

Chimay red label is my go to beer, and it's easy to find. I also really enjoy Sam Adam's Boston ale (not the lager).

X2 on the Newcastle, that was a "go to" for many years.

Very good cheat sheet BTW.

I'm not very good on the pale ales/India pale ales/double India pale ales front. I'm till exploring but haven't found many that I liked. Might be a palate thing, might be that I'm a fanatic when it comes to chocolate.

Belgian's I've had good luck with, but it can be hit and miss. One of our local bars, Opal Divine's, has a discount Belgian night which gave me a chance to try a few varieties and figure out what I like.
They also change out what they have on tap regularly so finding someplace like that can be a great way to try new stuff.

I tend to like the roasted malts alot...
Rahr's Ugly Pug is available year round and good, along with Deschutes Black Butte. Lagunitas Imperial Ale is very good for the price. Shiner Black isn't half bad. If you can lay your hands on a six pack of Rahr's Iron Thistle before it disappears, you'll be happy.

I've never been one to try many different beers, especially not stouts, until recently. A fella at my local B&M some months back had some cans of Buffalo Sweat Stout handy so I gave it a shot and loved it! My thinking of stouts prior to this was that they were super heavy, bitter beers and boy did that one prove me wrong. It was very smooth, almost creamy, and void of any bitter bite at all. I also tried my first Oatmeal Stout last week at a brew pub in Chattanooga, TN. It was one of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Guess my eyes have been opened to the world of craft beers.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the cheat sheet, that will help alot! I have been reading alot about the different beers both here and on BA.

This weekend I am making a trip to Spec's ( the local beer superstore), and see what I can round up.

More to follow......

Belgium beers are my favorite. Blue Moon is excellent, and not too expensive. Great for starting out. Try some Hoegarden, another favorite.

Belgium beers are my favorite. Blue Moon is excellent, and not too expensive. Great for starting out. Try some Hoegarden, another favorite.

Try the stouts, changed my mind of what brews were meant to be.

I'm not saying I've had it all, but I've tried a goodly variety of beer since I've been in this part of the world (again). Time after time, I just keep coming back to Guinness. I think it's a keeper... I was in love with the Extra Stout for a while, but just sort of slid back into drinking regular old Draught, again. Speaking of Draught, it's gotta be either pulled from the tap or from the can. I don't care for it as much out of the bottle. I think it has to do with the way the nitrogen is charged in the specific container. The widget works great in a can.

I'm an IPA fan myself. Huge Dogfish Head fan. Sam Adams still makes some great beers. Great Lakes, Sierra Nevada, Saranac, Allagash, Omegang...all of these guys make some good ales.

Sam Adams Black Lager is my favorite beer. Can't find it anymore, though they still show it as being produced.

I'm not saying I've had it all, but I've tried a goodly variety of beer since I've been in this part of the world (again). Time after time, I just keep coming back to Guinness. I think it's a keeper... I was in love with the Extra Stout for a while, but just sort of slid back into drinking regular old Draught, again. Speaking of Draught, it's gotta be either pulled from the tap or from the can. I don't care for it as much out of the bottle. I think it has to do with the way the nitrogen is charged in the specific container. The widget works great in a can.

Young's Double Chocolate is better from the can as well as Old Speckled Hen.

Young's Double Chocolate is better from the can as well as Old Speckled Hen.

Old Speckled Hen is on my "To Try" list and I had no idea Young's DCS came in a can. I will see if i can find them this weekend....Thanks Guys!

BTW, Old Speckled Hen and Youngs DCS are not at all the same style. OSH is a cream ale, fairly light. A good session beer. I can have one or two but it's not really to my taste.

Sam Adams Black Lager is my favorite beer. Can't find it anymore, though they still show it as being produced.

Just had one the other day. Got it from the local liquor store in a Sam Adams sampler.

After the sixers and cases started disappearing, samplers were the only way I could get my hands on it. Then, it was replaced in the Brewmaster's Selection (I think that's what it was called) with the almost-equally satisfying Cream Stout. Then, that disappeared, too! I haven't looked for it stateside in quite some time, so hopefully it is back in regular rounds, again.

It's really hard to go wrong with Chimay. They're ALL wonderful . . . I like the bottle-fermented Belgian style in general; Delirium Nocturnum is probably my favorite there.

Since you're here in Texas like me, pick up a six pack of Shiner "Family Tradition" . . . six different beers, several of which are only available as part of this packaging. Old Country Alt and Kosmos are wonderful.

Real Ale Brewing from Blanco also offers a sampler pack, and they're all quite good.

~Boar

Oh, almost forgot . . . another great Texas beer is Salado Creek. Microbrewery, but you can find it in HEB sometimes. Really good lager.

It Saturday which means it time to refill the fridge! :D

Thanks to all of ya'lls suggestions I have quite a long list of beers to find today.

Boar...Where do you go to find these "better beers" here in Texas? I usually go to Spec's, as they have the best selection that I have found so far. Kroger or HEB have some, but not many.

Alan