• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Summer Beer Review Series

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
Reaction score
Todays high in Denver was upwards of 90 degrees and with that the time has come to start drinking the lighter refreshing summer beers. This will be a series of reviews dedicated to those types of beers and will be a sharp contrast to the dark, malty, high alcohol ball busters we all tend to enjoy during the cooler months. That being said, I will be focused mainly on everyday, slam a couple while working in the yard or while sitting on the beach type beers, although I have a few in mind that are harder to find and not necessarily something you would slam at $15 for a bomber. Feel free to throw in reviews and thoughts of your favorites and lets get going..

First up is an easy to find old classic, St. Pauli Girl.

Summer Beer Review Series: Part 1
Beer: St. Pauli Girl
Type: German Pilsener
Origin: Germany
ABV: 4.9%
Price: $6.00 - 6 pack
Rarity: 1/10

171432.jpg
171809.jpg

Setting/Pairing: After work I was craving a snack and a beer so I paired this with a moderately spicy homemade salsa and white corn chips and headed for the patio.

Appearance: Crisp yellowish color with bubbles of carbonation racing to the top of the glass.

Smell: Not necessarily an aroma bomb but there is some hop and big grain smell on the nose.

Taste: Clean and crisp, nothing to write home about. Some light grain, roasted corn and hops are present here. It was a thirst quencher and paired nicely with the salsa.

Mouthfeel: As was expected it was a bit thin and quite carbonated. What you would expect with this style.

Drinkability: Slam a 6er on the front 9 drinkable.

Final Comments:
If I take everything into consideration (price, rarity, type of beer, etc) I think this is pretty decent, especially if you are looking for a summer beer and don't want to follow the crowd and start stuffing citrus fruit into clear bottled skunk ass beer. Give this one a shot while on the boat or out working in the yard.

Rating: 2.8 out of 5. Worth a try.

ABOUT: St. Pauli Girl beers are brewed and bottled by the St. Pauli Brauerei, which is located within the Beck's brewery in Bremen, Germany. The brand derives its name from the fact that the orignal brewery was built upon St Paul's Monastery. However, the name choice also seems to be an allusion to Hamburg's famous red light district, St. Pauli, which is somewhat reflected in the advertising slogans. There are currently three brands of beer brewed: St. Pauli Girl Lager, St. Pauli Girl Special Dark and St. Pauli Non-Alcoholic Malt Beverage. St Pauli Girl brews all of their beers according to the Reinheitsgebot (German purity law) of 1516. However, the beer is only produced for export and is not sold in Germany. The distinctive label depicting a woman wearing traditional outfits was introduced in the 1800s with the advent of the bottled beer. The local artist commissioned for the label drew his inspiration from the waitresses at the time. St Pauli Girls Beers first were introduced into select US markets in 1965. National Distribution began in 1975. St Pauli Girl is the Number two selling German beer in the United States.

Nice review Jonas. I think I'd have a hell of a time reviewing these beers with all the "heavies" I've been drinking lately.
Yeah I had to force myself into a totally different mindset after months of quads, imperial stouts and dopplebocks. Besides, you are doing a good job with all the big stuff, thought we should let some of the little brews play too.

Nicely done man, I do enjoy this beer. In fact, is this the 6 pack I left at your house!? :laugh:
HAHA quite possibly. Thanks for leaving it for the sake of the reviews!

I'm a beer snob, don't get me wrong, but...

If you're taking suggestions for your beer review, I'd love to suggest the 'pinnacle of pilsner', the 'bergermeister of brew': Pabst Blue Ribbon. Also known as PeeBeeYarr (or PBR for short), this fine 'lord of lights' has been selected by thousands, no, millions of college aged beer pong players as the bath they choose to baptise the sacred pong with. Also, at .51$ a beer? Not too shabby!

While effing with this thread I found an awesome picture of the old PBR factory:

300px-IMG_2147.JPG

Cheers,
Rob

I'm a beer snob, don't get me wrong, but...

If you're taking suggestions for your beer review, I'd love to suggest the 'pinnacle of pilsner', the 'bergermeister of brew': Pabst Blue Ribbon. Also known as PeeBeeYarr (or PBR for short), this fine 'lord of lights' has been selected by thousands, no, millions of college aged beer pong players as the bath they choose to baptise the sacred pong with. Also, at .51$ a beer? Not too shabby!

While effing with this thread I found an awesome picture of the old PBR factory:

300px-IMG_2147.JPG

Cheers,
Rob
I always have a case of PBR arround... Great "lawn mowin'" beer!!! :thumbs:
Great review Jonas! Thanks for doing it... it should be blast to watch!!!

Yessir, PBR be a great recommendation... ALSO one of my favorites is Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Co. Quite fantastic indeed...

Nice review! When I drink beer in the summer, it's always the lighter brews.

Let me put in my vote for Genessee Cream Ale. Do they even make that anymore? ???

Wilkey

Nice review! When I drink beer in the summer, it's always the lighter brews.

Let me put in my vote for Genessee Cream Ale. Do they even make that anymore? ???

Wilkey
This is one of my old favorites. Haven't had it it a long time. I'm going to VT tomorrow where gennie is/was popular among the case a day crowd. I'll ask around.
St. Pauli Girl is damn good beer. I prefer it to Becks.

Doc.

Genny is still made in Rochester and you should be able to find it all over the northeast. We have it here in PA.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I can almost hear the "PBR!!!" chants rising from the forum. I will hit the store tomorrow and see what I can find. The Genesee Cream Ale sounds quite tasty, hopefully they distribute this far west.

all this talk of PBR is giving me Blue Velvet flashbacks (lets see if anyone figures this out)

What kind of beer to you like to drink, neighbor?
Heineken.
Heineken? Fu*k that sh*t! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

all this talk of PBR is giving me Blue Velvet flashbacks (lets see if anyone figures this out)

Ah, PBR. That takes me back to being 17 (the legal age was 21) when we would go to The Whipple (named for Commadore Whipple of Rev. War fame who owned the land it was built upon) way out in the woods. They would serve my buddies and I. We would always head down on a Tuesday and try to drink them out of whatever PBR they had in the building. If you can get ahold of some Hudepole Beer or Burger Beer, both made in Cincinnati, do try. Right up there with PBR, Iron City, and a few other ageless beers.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I can almost hear the "PBR!!!" chants rising from the forum. I will hit the store tomorrow and see what I can find. The Genesee Cream Ale sounds quite tasty, hopefully they distribute this far west.

I have looked around some pretty big places here with no luck :( , hope you have better luck in the Rockies. :thumbs:

I have looked around some pretty big places here with no luck :( , hope you have better luck in the Rockies. :thumbs:
Oh I found it ---> LINKY

PBR is on the list although I had to throw a decent beer in between it and the genny. I should have the next review up tomorrow or Friday. :thumbs: