• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Summer Beer Review Series -

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
Reaction score
Now this is a treat I look forward to each year, the Stone Vertical Epic release. This year is the 07/07/07 which they bring to us as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Instead of explaining the history, I will let the label speak for itself...

b_102131.jpg

Summer Beer Review Series:
Part 3
Beer: Stone Vertical Epic 07/07/07
Type: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
Origin: Stone Brewing Company, Escondido, CA
ABV: 8.40%
Price: $6.00 - Bomber
Rarity: 5/10 – Brewed once (limited)

173002.jpg

Setting/Pairing:
I got a call from a buddy while I was in Vegas letting me know that the 07 Vertical Epic had hit the shelves in Denver and last night I had a chance to visit my shop and snag a few. I poured it into my Riedel snifter and enjoyed the first half on the patio with nothing but a cool breeze and the second half on the couch with my wife watching a movie.

Appearance:
This is presented in the classic Stone bottle and print. It pours a cloudy orange/bronze hue with a creamy 2 finger head and moderate retention and lacing.

Smell: Big Belgian yeast, spices, Fruit and lots of it - apricot, peach and citrus. Sweet bubblegum and grapefruit are here as well.

Taste:
Very complex, mild citrus hops hit the tongue first and then some spices - dates and figs, fruit and funky Belgian yeast. Tons of malt characteristics, you can tell they used several different varieties here. The minty Belgian flavor is there but it fades a bit to the background as the beer warms, wonderful sweet flavors on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very round and smooth, nice big body.

Drinkability: I had no problem hammering this bomber in a sitting. It is bottle conditioned so it has only light carbonation but it has so many flavors that the alcohol fades into the distance and is soon forgotten.

Final Comments: I will try to keep the fact that I am a Stone whore out of equation and just say that this is a wonderful beer. It is distinct in its Belgian characteristics so if these are things you do not enjoy you may not care for this beer. I was highly anticipating its release and I was not disappointed. I plan to enjoy many more as it is a perfect beer to share with friends on a summer evening. My advice is to buy 3 or 4, enjoy a couple over the summer and lay at least one down until 2012 for the vertical tasting. Enjoy!

Rating: 4.3 out of 5 - Go find it.

Nice review dd!! Thanks, I'm drooling now!! My neighbor just picked up a bottle for us to split! ( yes, 1 bottle,that idiot!) I guess I will have to find a way to get a couple more. Won't be easy, they don't distribute to Illinois!!

BitterRat let us know what you think once you try it.

Oh and PM's replied to!

I will have to look for this tasty brew, what are the chances of finding the first 5. ???

Well almost anything can be had for a price, but the price is sometimes insane. Check ebay for instance; right now there are auctions for the 03, 04, 05, and 06. The 03 has a day left and it is already going for $91 LINKY.

The 2002 on the other hand is almost impossible to get. It was a very limited run and I have never seen it for sale.

I will have to look for this tasty brew, what are the chances of finding the first 5. ???

Well almost anything can be had for a price, but the price is sometimes insane. Check ebay for instance; right now there are auctions for the 03, 04, 05, and 06. The 03 has a day left and it is already going for $91 LINKY.

The 2002 on the other hand is almost impossible to get. It was a very limited run and I have never seen it for sale.

Thanks Bro, I will begin the manhunt. :thumbs:

Nice review. I didnt have a chance to pick some up while I was still in Cali. I guess I can send my mom to grab me some. Gonna tell her to grab a bottle of that 6/6/06 that is still at the liquor store I was telling you about at Casa Fuente! :thumbs:

Nice review. I didnt have a chance to pick some up while I was still in Cali. I guess I can send my mom to grab me some. Gonna tell her to grab a bottle of that 6/6/06 that is still at the liquor store I was telling you about at Casa Fuente! :thumbs:

Yeah the 06 is awesome and hard to find so tell her to get whatever they have left! BTW my offer still stands, just let me know which beers need to take a trip to paradise. :D

Well, I lucked out and found some bottles of this... I'm sure glad I did!!! :love:

7-3-07102.jpg

7-3-07101.jpg

Now, I just have to find me a snifter instead of these damn pounder glasses I drink out of!!! :blush:

Jonas, your review on this baby was spot on bro! The aroma on this alone, is worth it. WOW!!! Since my beverage reviews are about as good as my cigar reviews... I'm going to leave it at that!
If you guys get a chance to grab a bottle or two... DO IT!!! You won't be let down!

Oh yeah, I paired this great beer up with a very good smoke IMO... An 858!!!

:thumbs:

Nice pics David, I agree that the aroma alone is worth the price of admission with this beer.

Oh and Happy 07.07.07 - Drink one if you got one.. :D

I grabbed a couple bottles a week-or-so ago, and had the chance to try one lastnight.

HOLY CRAP!

Stone Brewing does it again. This is one damn tasty beer. A really amazing nose and a thick and sticky mouthfeel with just LOADS of flavor. My non-beer-drinking wife tried it and I had to pry the glass out of her hand.

I'll be getting some more of this for sure!

I finally got to drink a bottle of this. Thanks denverdog! Great malt flavor. Subtle spicing. The label said ginger,
cardamom, and citrus peel. Nice Belgian yeast flavors. Very drinkable.
This was my first Vertical Epic, and it was very different from any Stone Beer that I have tried.

Nice pics David, I agree that the aroma alone is worth the price of admission with this beer.

I gots one bro... Don't know if I can drink it. I bought it to "age"!!! ???

have you drank one of this batch yet? Whenever I age a beer, I always try to make sure and try the same batch fresh as well.

I gots one bro... Don't know if I can drink it. I bought it to "age"!!! ???

have you drank one of this batch yet? Whenever I age a beer, I always try to make sure and try the same batch fresh as well.
Yep... and it was very very good!!! :thumbs:

Great review. I think this offering is the best one yet as far as drinking it right out of the gate. Luckily I have a couple bottles for aging.