• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Summer Camping Cigar Storage

JustinSWaldrip

Hey guys, I'm new to Cigar Pass, so please check out my intro post when y'all get a chance. 

I have a quick question: On June 8, I leave for a week long camping trip in the middle of Arkansas where temperatures are expected to be in the 80s and 90s all week. Having been going to camp there for some time, I know the humidity will be pretty high, so my question is how would I store my cigars? I keep the few cigars that I am storing in a Tupperdor, with a Boveda Pack with an RH of 65%. I'm not too worried about the humidity being thrown off too much, but what is the best way too keep them at a proper temperature so I don't get beetles? 

I have searched online with many conflicting answers such as keep them in the shade or put them on top of the ice in a cooler. What do y'all think?

Best you are going to be able to do is keep them in the shade, unless you have a small cooler with a small ice pack or something like it. But I would not try to get to crazy with the ice, just a small amount to keep the temps down in the cooler.

I would not worry about it too much, just pack them up, and smoke them as you wish.

T

I'd think a small cooler and some Bovida packs would do quite well.  Get a small cooler, put your sticks and the Bovida packs in it, use some bubble wrap to take up extra air space.

Bovida packs will regulate the humidity, so things won't get too moist if the temp goes up.  Always put it in the shade.  Should be fine.

If it is raining in the woods- you better be worried about humidity.  When you say camping I'm thinking you mean with a car, car camping.

If you are going backpacking you are probably only going to smoke if it is dry.

I went up Tuckerman's Ravine in New Hampshire in the middle of winter, the shelter at the bottom was packed and I asked the crowd if anyone minded if I smoke a cigar.  Of course someone did.  Worth a try, I hope you are in a car camping so you can fire-up at will!  

You should be able to bring a nice cooler and a couple ziplocks.

I usually just toss a few sticks in to a secure box or bring a couple of tubes and throw them in my pack. Everything works out just fine. Don't worry so much, relax you're camping. Just smokem' ;)

For just one week, you really don't need to do a whole lot.  My cigars at home are a completely different story but when bringing just a few on a trip, I don't stress or over-prepare. 

I'm going camping with my son next month.  All that I intend to do (which I've done before successfully) is to put them in my cigar caddy type case (that has distilled water in the case) and keep them in the shade.  In the evening while hanging out around the fire, lite and enjoy.

If there are bears in the area make sure you hang your cigars up on a tree branch.  Bears are naturally attracted to tobacco, especially premium cigars.   :p

Seriously, as long as they're in your Tupperdore and in the shade you'll be fine.  Have a great time and watch out for Stogie Bear, he's Yogi's cigar-loving cousin.     

I was wondering the same.. Going on a 3 day backpacking trip with some friends (who don't mind cigars). I figured a zip lock, boveda pack, & a small hard case should do the trick for the short trip!.

Looking forward to smoking while watching the sun set from a nice spot.

Don't overthink it. I've done this a hundred times. I like lock'n'lock because it can't pop open if my pack takes a dive. A Boveda is all you need. I'd caution against keeping them in a cooler. They are bound to get wet. Keep them in your tent because frankly, you aren't going to keep them cool. A week has never hurt any I've taken.

nfulton said:
Don't overthink it. I've done this a hundred times. I like lock'n'lock because it can't pop open if my pack takes a dive. A Boveda is all you need. I'd caution against keeping them in a cooler. They are bound to get wet. Keep them in your tent because frankly, you aren't going to keep them cool. A week has never hurt any I've taken.
This is it.
I hike for 4 or 5 days in a row or I car camp for up to 2 weeks and all I do is keep my smokes in my Caddy and open it only when ready for a smoke. Months on end this might be problematic but for a week or 2....please!

thinde said:

This is it.
I hike for 4 or 5 days in a row or I car camp for up to 2 weeks and all I do is keep my smokes in my Caddy and open it only when ready for a smoke. Months on end this might be problematic but for a week or 2....please!

^^^^This ^^^^

I often wonder how many people that smoke cigars have air conditioning in Cuba, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Honduras?

I keep a ice pack in a plastic bag on top of the cigars which are in another food container in the cooler. Works well.

I wouldn't worry. Just use boveda's like other folks suggested, and a good sealing container. It wouldn't hurt to keep it out of direct sunlight inside of a tent or something. Even putting it in a small depression in the dirt or under trees makes a huge difference if you really feel the need.

Yeah, just enjoy your camping trip.  Up to about three days, a Ziploc's plenty, inside a hardcase if you're backpacking.  Up to a week or so, an Otterbox or Tupperdor with a Boveda and you're good to go.

Short trips, I just leave one of my cedar lined cigar cases in the humidor for a week ahead of departure, and put the cigars in that.

~Boar

CRQuarto said:
I wouldn't worry. Just use boveda's like other folks suggested, and a good sealing container. It wouldn't hurt to keep it out of direct sunlight inside of a tent or something. Even putting it in a small depression in the dirt or under trees makes a huge difference if you really feel the need.
YES! I was going to mention this trick I learned in bushcraft. I thought it might be taken as extreme, but getting them in the ground some will be great too.

MadMonk said:
YES! I was going to mention this trick I learned in bushcraft. I thought it might be taken as extreme, but getting them in the ground some will be great too.
You bushcraft? Awesome! I'm just getting into it myself... Been a long time backpacker.

You could even place a damp cloth (such as bandanna) over your humidor, which will cool it via evaporation. Honestly though, I wouldn't stress it. I'd be surprised if you ended up with mold or beetles that quickly. Especially if you aren't smoking ISOM's.

All good ideas/comments and points.

I like the dirt infusion idea, really amp up those forest and underbrush notes! :D

emoshun said:
All good ideas/comments and points.

I like the dirt infusion idea, really amp up those forest and underbrush notes! :D
Makes 'em all taste like Gurkhas!

Back