• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sun Growns

Some of my Favorites are:
Fuente Cuban Belicoso
Ashton VSG's
Padron 64

858 SG is one I will definately be on look out for if I can ever find one!

as a newbie myself i enjoyed the Rocky Patel SG

i did not realize that the Padron 64's and 26's were sun grown. I learned something new today.

i smoked my 1st AF SG Chateau Fuente, great smoke for $4 :thumbs:

Chateau or 858's
VSG mystiques or CG's
Padrons delicias
Illusione 68's or cg4

i did not realize that the Padron 64's and 26's were sun grown. I learned something new today.
All Padrons are sungrowns. And they're outstanding.

My favorites:
VSG (narrow gauge)
AF Cuban Beli
Any Padron maduro
RP SG Petite Corona
Cuesta Rey Centro Fino (mild but yummy)

Edit: spelling

VSG hands down! Pick up the VSG sampler, it is available from many sites for under $50. In any sun grown line I prefer the typical lonsdale size, you get more wrapper flavor.

The VSG Illusion is perfect!

I prefer an Ecuadorian sungrown wrapper. Just a caution to be sure that the sungrown style tobacco is what you are really after. Many here list the VSG as a favorite. Be aware that some makers age their wrappers for some cigars in flavored barrels. The VSG wrapper is aged in rum barrels, and the Opus wrapper in Cognac barrels. The use of flavoring agents to knock the rough edges off strong tobacco is not uncommon.

Errr Opus wrappers in Cognac barrels? ??? Me thinks your getting the Opus and Anjeo lines confused.

And thats the first time I've heard anyone mention VSG wrappers are aged in rum barrels, and if it is true, I taste no rum while smoking a VSG.

The Cognac barrel aging is very noticable with the Anjeos.

Never heard of Rum barrels for the VSG line, just checked Ashton's web page, no mention of Rum Barrel aging.

Talk of 4-5 year aging but seems to me like the standard. I'd be interested in the link that gave you the info.

I prefer an Ecuadorian sungrown wrapper. Just a caution to be sure that the sungrown style tobacco is what you are really after. Many here list the VSG as a favorite. Be aware that some makers age their wrappers for some cigars in flavored barrels. The VSG wrapper is aged in rum barrels, and the Opus wrapper in Cognac barrels. The use of flavoring agents to knock the rough edges off strong tobacco is not uncommon.

Where to start? First, no wrapper is "aged" in barrels; the wrapper would go bad. Some vendors do however put wrapper into various barrels for a short period of time to influence the taste of the wrapper... very similar to how some wines are fermented in Oak containers. The tobacco doesn't absorb the taste of the barrel, but it does change the way the tobacco ferments.

VSG wrapper is not put in barrels at all. Añejo wrapper is placed in cognac barrels for a brief period of time, not Opus wrapper. Opus wrapper is placed in rum barrels for a short period of time as well.

They do not use "flavoring agents to knock the rough edges off strong tobacco" -- that's a complete miscomprehension of the reason for curing the tobacco in these barrels.

Sorry, my mistake, Anejo wrappers 6-8 months in cognac barrels, and Opus in rum. Check vitolas.com if you are not already aware of it, interesting site. Flavoring agents have been used on tobacco almost since tobacco has first been consumed. Licorice is the most common agent used, but various spirits are also popular. Any historical book on tobacco will tell you that. Most tobacco in its naturally occuring state is quite harsh, and various ways have been experimented with to mellow it out to pallatable porportions.