• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

super glue? or other adhesive?

thejollyco

The Jolly Company
So, one of my humidors, the humidification device was split in half, as in the glue holding it together never even existed. So here's my question:

Should i use super glue to fix the problem, and then use it in my humidification device? or should i use something else? or should I just spend the extra money to get something else?

I was contemplating replacing the foam with beads, and then resealing it, but the question is with what.
Is using superglue a bad idea?

I feel like my humidor gives me a crap load of trouble. If it's not this, it's that. stupid company that i ordered from, i'm never ordering from you again.

I don't think any of my humidification devices were sealed. I've replaced the foam, or gel with beads in all but two and they will be getting done as soon as I get some 70% beads.

I got some super glue that was in a bottle with a paint brush. I used it to put back together 2 foam humidifying devices that I wanted to convert to beads. I also got some thin plastic mesh to put in to cover the large slots in case the beads might fall out. It worked fine but I used very little glue, and let it dry for a few days before charging the beads and using it.

I suggest this brush on style of super glue, and i suggest just the tiniest amount in the corners maybe, so that you have less chance of the smell or whatever of the glue getting in your humi and so that you can attempt to reopen it should you need to later on. It worked fine for me. I believe the glue was purple in color and dried clear.

I can't stress enough that I think the key to this is using as little as possible and letting it dry in open air as long as possible so that you have no fumes. At the time I did this I moved everything to a tupperdore and it was at least a week maybe more before i put these back in my humi. I was reseasoning the humi as well so it was a bit of time before I moved the stash back. I have since upgraded to the vino so with a tiny bit of velcro they are used in there now but can be moved back into the desktop if needed.

So, one of my humidors, the humidification device was split in half, as in the glue holding it together never even existed. So here's my question:

Should i use super glue to fix the problem, and then use it in my humidification device? or should i use something else? or should I just spend the extra money to get something else?

I was contemplating replacing the foam with beads, and then resealing it, but the question is with what.
Is using superglue a bad idea?

I feel like my humidor gives me a crap load of trouble. If it's not this, it's that. stupid company that i ordered from, i'm never ordering from you again.

Whatever you use to reseal it, make sure you don't get it from freebern!

If you're using beads in there...why 'reseal' it?

Some of the foam humidifiers are the puck style of which everyone I've seen is able to be seperated and put back together. These are easy and require no "sealing". Others are square and I think from the looks of it they may either be pre-glued at the factory or vibration welded together. Seems too messy to pre-glue these, but too expensive to vibration weld either but who knows. That said, they don't have the 2 halves that slide into each other and pressure fit together like the puck. They have two halves, mine had what would best be described as a square cup that the foam sat in with a back plate over it. They were not designed to be taken apart, hence the gluing or "sealing" process.

Its really just to hold the damn thing together again because you have to break it apart to open it up.

Super Glue should be fine, just let your humidifier cure for at least 48 hours before placing back in your humidor.

Careful! That super glue is some wicked stuff...........I still have to pee sitting down.

Go to manufacturers websites and see if you can find the "Material Safety Data Sheet" (MSDS).
This is the best way to know what the material does is differnat states, uses, etc.

Check Jackass 3D to see how superglue can be used perfectly :laugh:.

Jim

The chemical name for superglue is cyanoacrylate. Here's a safety data sheet on it. http://www.surlok.com/msds/1409.htm

I use it all the time for my stereo biz. FYI, baking soda is a good gap filler for SG and a catalyst/oxidizer. Spread some baking soda along the seam followed by the SG. It'll dry so fast that it'll smoke.

You can also squeeze it into locks to prevent someone from getting into their car or house. :0 :angry: