• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Super Premiums (Are They Really Worth It?)

SouthsideCigar

I have been smoking cigars for over 10 years. I have my favorites and I always like to try new smokes as well. I smoke 1-2 cigars a day (at least in the spring/summer) and like a wide variety of cigars. Some of my all time favorites are PSD4, Tat Brown labels, Padron x0000, Monte #2, CAO Cameroon and lately I have been really enjoying the Taboo HSG and Special Forces (hats off Rob, these are great).
My question is this, I spent the night at the The Borgata in Atlantic City for my 18th anniversary on Tues night. I decided for this special occaision I was going to break out a Padron 80th Anniversay Maduro. Now, while this was certainly a fantastic smoke all around, great taste, great burn, great draw, etc., I am just not sure that at $25/stick, it is really worth that much money. I would have a hard time saying that it was so much better than my other favs, that it is worth 3 - 5 times the cost. I mean for the price of a box of 80th with only 8 sticks, I can get a box of many great top name smokes, including my favorite CC smokes, with 20-25 sticks.

Just wondering how everyone weighs in on this.

Dave

Dave,
I'm 1000% in agreement with you for my regular smoking. The rub comes in with my curiosity. For instance, I really wanted to try the 80th. Who knew, it might be remarkably better. I enjoyed the 80th, but I would not buy one again for personal use. I'd go with numerous other smoke that would range from 3 to 8 sticks for the money.
I guess I place the 80th under my "bucket list". No regrets, I lived my life, and sought to follow my dreams.

This is one of those questions you can only answre for yourself. We all have different financial conditions so disposable income to one person is not what it is to another.

On the surface, no, a padron 80 cannot be three times better than an Exclusivo or eight times better than a 3000. If that 's the way you look at it then they will never be worth it.

On the other hand there is the special occassion arguement, the treat yourself arguement and such other arguements. In those cases it may be worth it. But that's up to you.

I bought a box plus one. I smoked the one and it was silly-good. When I get around to the other box in 10+ years these things may be the stuff of legend like the Milleniums. Who knows.

The short answer is that only you can determine what is "worth it" and what isn't.

Cheers

It is your right to treat yourself to the best in life, because no one else will.

"I would have a hard time saying that it was so much better than my other favs..."

I think that's the answer to your question. I smoked the 80th and thought it was above and beyond the rest. So yeah, I'll drop some money in KC this weekend picking up a couple more. Otherwise, I hear ya.

Unfortunately many premium cigars, like the Padron 80th, have a high ticket price these days. Why? Because they can.

We know that taste is subjective so smoke what you want without being concerned about the price. What I mean is, if it tastes good then it's worth the cost to you. If not, move on.

Brian

I will have to admit that I really liked the couple of Padron 80th I have tried.

That said, I would rather buy 3 Padron 1964 Exclusivo's or 4 AF WOAM's then shell out the money for a high priced "Super Premium" cigar.

I have found you simply have to judge for yourself, and try not to hype yourself up over a 'super premium' too much. Even though they can cost a hell of a lot more that your average long filler premium, sometimes the price is higher just because they know people will pay it.

Cigars are considered part of the luxury market, and that market has some stupidly expensive things that is designed to cater to the buyers ego more than anything else, often offering a fractionally better product than a high-end alternative (think sound systems: $100, 000 speakers etc).

On the other hand, some things are expensive because they are good... damn good. It is an unfortunate task sifting the cons from the real deal. I have been to many a restaurant with pricey menus, and only a couple have lived up to the standard set by that sort of asking amount. It seems if you sell luxury goods and services these days, often you can trick a bunch of people with pomp and grandeur whilst not delivering on the quality in many cases.

So long story short: Some super premiums are exactly that, while a others are simply scams designed to peel some notes away from your wallet. Explore new cigars, and smoke the ones you enjoy.

I'd say it was hit and miss. Some premies are worth it because they are just that good and some just have a lot of hype.

It depends on the cigar and situation. I have smoked an 80th and thought it was a great cigar and probably worth a couple premium sticks, but I have also smoked an ESG and was unimpressed; hence not worth a couple of VSGs. It is a matter of what it is worth to you.

BTW, I smoked a Millenium and it was well worth the premium to me and if I had the resources, would smoke nothing else.

Ken

There's no way to know for sure until you try one. It sounds like you tried one and got your answer.

I always like to quench my curiosity before I decide that super premiums can never be worth it. How will I ever know if I don't try them? To me, it's always worth it to give one or two a shot if for nothing else than to knock it off my list (which is getting considerably shorter than it once was :) ).

Basically anything is worth what the seller can consistently get for it. When you get to what is considered the best of the best in anything you are paying for more than just quality, you are paying for prestige, rarity and the satisfaction that it is (supposedly) among the best in the world. You are always going to pay a "super premium" for that and it's not going to be relative to the actual quality alone when compared to the mere "premium" level.

That said, I don't think the Padron 80th is likely to be worthy of that type of status and worth $30. I think there is likely more hype than reality here.

Simplified answer:

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

I have to agree with Jake. If YOU think the cigar was worth the higher price then the answer is simple: yes. In this case it sounds like you had some doubts.

Mark

x2!
It's all about what you like. I've had super premiums that sucked, and daily cigars that rocked. It's nice to treat yourself to a 'special' cigar on occasions that deserve it, but everyone's taste is different, and so are ideas of what a 'special' cigar is. I try to sample the fancy new stuff, but in the end I usually stick with what I know and like.

It's predictable everyone would hop on the "smoke what you like" bandwagon because that's the response these posts always get and will continue getting.

And that's fine for you and me but let's consider another type of guy. Someone who doesn't know what he likes and doesn't really much care. A guy who is interested in astonishing everyone with his greatness and inspiring envy in all those around him. This man must be entirely certain that he is truly smoking a worthy cigar and he needs us to tell him because he doesn't trust his own opinions and regardless, he would rather impress people than actually enjoy his cigar.

So we must tirelessly debate the merits of these cigars so this poor bastard can sleep at night knowing that his previous evening was a great triumph and everyone was soundly impressed. So please have a heart and give your real opinion, "smoke what you like" is no help to these unfortunate people.

:sign:

Hamburger vs. Rib eye steak...

Both are meat from the same cow and one is by far more expensive than the other. If all you wanted was meat, than go with the hamburger. Some like the extra treat of an expensive cut of meat just like some like the extravagant cigar.

It's predictable everyone would hop on the "smoke what you like" bandwagon because that's the response these posts always get and will continue getting.

And that's fine for you and me but let's consider another type of guy. Someone who doesn't know what he likes and doesn't really much care. A guy who is interested in astonishing everyone with his greatness and inspiring envy in all those around him. This man must be entirely certain that he is truly smoking a worthy cigar and he needs us to tell him because he doesn't trust his own opinions and regardless, he would rather impress people than actually enjoy his cigar.

So we must tirelessly debate the merits of these cigars so this poor bastard can sleep at night knowing that his previous evening was a great triumph and everyone was soundly impressed. So please have a heart and give your real opinion, "smoke what you like" is no help to these unfortunate people.

:sign:

Ok then, this is my honest opinion. I DO find that the premium cigars are usually worth the the price. There is a reason these sticks cost more. Premium aged leaves that are meticulously rolled and inspected that are consistent from stick to stick. Can I myself afford to smoke these on a regular basis? No. Would I like to? Hell yes I would. So bro, if you can afford it and these are what you like then smoke them MF's every chance you get. Are there less expensive sticks out there that will give you premium flavor for less? Yes there are. If I could afford to smoke Opus A's or Padron 8oth's everyday I would. IMHO

Mark