• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Swimming Pool Construction

So I was busy this weekend :laugh: Hope you guys don't mind me making a second off topic thread this evening :whistling: I thought you guys might like to see the progress of this project.

Getting everything laid out and construction should begin within one month. I started laying everything out this weekend. Plotted out 60 points in my yard to recreate a model of the curvature and actually have a CAD model drawn up of what I want to do.

Once they begin the digging, it should only take around 1 month to get everything finished. I took some Before pictures this weekend as well as some surveying!

one of the before pics
SwimmingPoolConstruction009.jpg

SwimmingPoolConstruction018.jpg

almost looks like we kinda know what we were trying to do...
SwimmingPoolConstruction023.jpg

SwimmingPoolConstruction022.jpg

Really looking forward to getting this project going and getting our back yard looking nice. Some of the goals of the design are to incorporate a surrounding retaining wall made of flat stone that will have a few features like a grill and sitting area built into it. We want a really clean design that is going to go well with the yard. Hopefully it turns out that way. :thumbup:

edit to add a few more pics. I took all the data from this weekend and plotted it out and created my yard surface. I will match this up to the aerial view of my house and design off of it.

Took an aerial view of the house and surrounding property, and started to sketch off of it.
SketchPic4.jpg

Plotting out points
SketchPic1.jpg

Created a curve/surface off of the points
SketchPic2.jpg

Extrude up to the surface, now I have a 3D representation of my yard.
SketchPic3.jpg

Opinion's are requested on a couple of ideas I have.

First of all, the swimming pool size we are looking at is going to be approx 18-20 foot wide X 30-33 ft long. POOL Only, this does not include the decking. If you look at the first picture of my house, the distance from the edge of the deck to the far right side of the house is only around 22 feet. My original plan was to bring a patio straight out from that edge of the deck, all the way over to the edge of the house and straight out. it would cut into the yard- area by the deck is lowest part of yard- and would be surrounded by a nice stone retaining wall. Problem is that there isn't enough room there with only 22 feet. So with that being said, I'm thinking that maybe just completely removing the existing deck and redoing the patio in that area and incorporate it into the pool design. By the way, proposed patio will be stamped concrete.

I will sketch up a couple of pics to make it easier to understand what the hell I'm saying. :laugh:

That looks like it will be a nice place to hang out. It is also going to reduce the area you have to mow in a major way. :thumbs:

Wow!!! New pool and a new car? Interested in adopting, by chance???

Congrats on everything. When is the smoking lounge going in? :thumbs:

I wondered when that was coming. Actually I have had the car for a while now, and the swimming pool I get at a pretty good discount. I do product design for a pool company.

I wondered when that was coming. Actually I have had the car for a while now, and the swimming pool I get at a pretty good discount. I do product design for a pool company.

Just jerking your chain. You have every right to be proud and share with the CP community.

Although I did notice you avoided answering the adoption question. :whistling:

Man you need to mow the grass.....those blades are as big as the swimming pool!

I am jealous, looks great.

LOL DDepaola...

Pretty good rendering Eric. I would not have thought about using planes to create the topo that way. Great idea. (I use SW daily, I hate the SW64 systems, not stable nor surported enough IMO.)

As far as the original deck, I think it would stand out so to speak and not flow with the overall patio/pool theme. Might consider some stone steps into the house to creat a contrast in colors and break up the entrance.

Are you going to stain the concrete after it is stamped or toss in dye packs into the trucks for a mix before pouring?

yeah, it worked pretty slick. The rendering is very incomplete and was done real fast yesterday. When I have more time I might really try and make it look good.

The stamped concrete will have a dye mixed into it before hand. We have also thought about removing the existing deck!

IMO I would remove the deck, and do something that would flow a little better. VERY nice pool design though. I know some people that have one that is fairly similar, and I thought it was great.
B

Looks great. Like said before, remove the deck, just a patio would look great. The design of the pool looks great. And am I right to assume that by looking at the pics, the pool will be in the sun most of the day ?

Gerard.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I want to remove the deck as well. My wife wants to keep it, but.....

The pool will definitely be in the sun most of the day!

Nice layout, I'm impressed. My only concern is that with the deck being so close to the deep end (& the pool in general) it would be tempting for someone (think teenagers & inebriated) to jump off the deck into the pool. that might be some intel for the Mrs. You could always make the deck smaller or lower and move it to another area. Keep us posted and at all costs, preserve the smoking area!

Looks like you are planning a built in hot tub. I have one that is about 1 or 1.5 ft higher than the pool with a waterfall into the pool. Can be set for either high or low flow depending on how the valves are set. My hot tub is located across the pool from the seating area on the patio so it serves as a focal point. Wife thinks it makes too much noise when on high flow, but I like it.

We have both gas and solar heat. I don't heat the pool with the gas due to cost, only the hot tub. The solar adds a couple of months of swimming to each end of the summer. Depends on how warm you like the pool. I like it warm. The gas seems to heat the hot tub a lot faster than the neighbors that have electric.

You might want to look into automatic chlorinators. Next door neighbor has one of the generators that seems to work well. Mine uses the tabs.

I would be happy to try to answer any questions or email you photos of the pool and equipment. Not sure how to post pics here. One additonal thought, think about pump noise when you pick a location for the equipment.

Terry

Looks like a beautiful pool coming.

I have a pool and also have a stamped concrete pool deck. Looks nice but it is slippery when wet. Also I had to fence in the pool in order to renew my homeowners insurance. I put in a removable child fence.

I had a salt chlorine system. Once a year I dump in bags of salt and the equipment releases chlorine in the pool when needed.

Good luck with your project.

Oh, and an automatic pool sweep if there is a leaf within 1/4 mile.

Pepe is the voice of experience on the salt generator system. Not cheap but over the long run...

Yeah, I want the spa to be a raised one and will have a spillover.

As for the chlorinator, I will have this system

Aqua Logic Its a total pool controls system and you can use it to also run all of your pumps, lights, and extra's such as outdoor lighting, stereo, etc.

Pepe, I have heard that about the Stamped Concrete. Is yours bad enough you would recommend against it??

Originally the deck was in chathoochie stone. Not comfortable on bare feet. We had a large screen enclosure around the pool. No fence around the property. Hurricaine Wilma took out he screen enclosure. We made a number of changes once I got the insurance check. I extended the patio X2.
The stamped concrete followed and we put in an above ground hot tub on the deck. The stamped concrete looks great. Almost like flagstone. The contractor put a sealer over it and he added some sand to give it more grit. It still is slick when wet and you just have to be careful.

We never replaced the screen enclosure. Instead we installed hurricaine shutters throughout.

I agree with salt system. For one it brings the salinity closer to a persons so no red eyes. You clothes and towels don't bleach out like a straight chlorine system. No smell. My only regret is I did not buy a self cleaning cell. One that switches polarity to the element every so often you don't have to manually do it so often.