• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Switched to Boveda, now have a problem

comptalk

I switched from Cigar Oasis to Boveda in my large humidor, but now have a problem.  I put the required amount of Boveda packs in the humidor, the humidity will no go above 50% while thw temp. Is holding at 76 degrees.  The large humidor is in my basement where the is a dehumidifier down there.  The humidor is not near it.

Any ideas?  If I go back to the Cigar Oasis, do you think that could help?  I just do not want my cigars to dry out.  I have life 300 of them in there.

Why did you switch from the Cigar Oasis?  Was it a power thing?  You can get a battery pack for them if thats why.
I really like mine...

Already posted an intro.  :)

It just waxing doing s good job.  Perhaps I had a bad sponge.  I will order another sponge and try the system again.  Originally, I had the Bovedas in smaller tupper wear units and they did well.  I guess I was hoping to emulate that on a larger scale.  

I don't like Bovedas in wooden humidors. As good as they are, I don't like their performance at the recommended quantities. Either double up, or use Gel or Beads is you don't want to use the oasis.

I have a 300ct humidor and I used to have Bovedas in mine and they did pretty well during the summer months when it was humid, but when the humidity dropped in the winter, they didn't do as well.
That's when I bought my cigar oasis and it's been really stable ever since. 

I still keep some of the boveda packs in there as i think it helps when the humidity is too high in the summer(since I already have them, but my cigar oasis is doing most of the work. My understanding is that you can refill the cartridge on the the cigar oasis about 8 times before they recommend that you replace it(about 2 years). 

To refill it, submerge the cartridge in distilled water, then turn it upside down to drain it as you want the sponge replenished, but you don't want standing water in there.

Always had an issue with the sponge.  I find them now on eBay for around 12.00, so they've gone down in price.  I also think my sponge was years old, so that could had been the issue as well. :(  I am going to try to use a combo of both to try and get the right humid combo.  I just think the basement dehumidifier is also working against me a bit.  :(

Take your cigars out of the 50% RH environment until you figure out what is wrong.  You may have a seal issue, and your temperature 76 is kind of high. 

I think you might be on to something Steve!
High temps and a seal issue.....

jfields said:
I think you might be on to something Steve!
High temps and a seal issue.....
 See that proves it............Finally, I was right! :laugh:

Pretty tight seal.  I do not see any openings or gaps.  I have two cigar oasis's coming.  It should be here today.  I am hoping that will help.  The temp in the basement is about 70%, so I am not sure why the temp is higher in the humidor.  It is a digital hygrometer, so they are usually correct.  However, it's as old as the large unit (deca 2006).  I ordered a new hygrometer as well.  Both will be here today.  The analog hygrometer states it's around 60 by the way.

If you can, post a picture of your Humi.  If your Hygrometer is 8 years old, have you calibrated it recently?

No, I have not.  I guess I need to look at that sticky on this page to setup again.   ???  ???  ???

I can post pics.  Not an issue on that front.

I am thinking it is the hygrometer.  The new one is reading the temp at 75 and humidity at 65%.  I also have two Cigar Oasis's in the unit.  One for the top part one for the bottom.  About 300 cigars in total.

You are changing too many variables at a time so you really don't know what is doing what.  Sill looking for the picture of your humi.

It's been fine since I went back to the Cigar Oasis.  The humi is prob. too large for the Boveda's to work efficiently.  Plus, the old hygrometer wasn't correct in the reading.  I bought a new one and all is good. 

Is the temperature still reading 75~76?  If the temperature starts creeping higher and if the humidity goes up too far you do run the risk of beetles.

Nope.  It's down to 72.  I lowered the Cigar Oasis.  Considering moving it to 70.  The humidity is around 74%.