• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tat Black

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Just wanted to give a quick review of the Tat Black I just smoked.

If someone had of handed it to me without a band I would have thought it was a Montecristo Tubos AT.

That is how it tasted and it was an enjoyable experience. We don't get many Tats here in Europe, mostly the brown-bands, and we never see any of Pete's limited stuff.

I find Tatuaje to be well rolled, good tasting cigars. My favorites are the red-bands but they don't sell them over here so I make do with the brown-bands whenever I find them.

The Black wasn't as good as the red regionals he released a few years back (god I wish I had of bought more than a 5er of the East Coast blend) but it was close and like I said, very "Cuban" in its flavor profile.

If you have them, smoke them! If you don't, hope you receive one some day... its a worthwhile cigar to have under your belt.

Shawn

When I first had the Tat Black Tubo upon their initial release, I was really disappointed. I had a whole box, eventually sold them or gave them away. On the other hand - I love, love, loved (triple love) the Red Tubos right out of the gate - and bought an extra box of those to keep on hand.

Now, probably two years later, I finally think the Black Tubos are smoking very well. So much so - I just bought (yes) a full box to keep for the coming years. I'm not a big fan of the "you have to let them age a few years" notion, but now I can see how this worked out.

Thanks for the nice review.

John

Wurm,
Have to agree with you there, the flavor screams Montecristo. My wife even enjoyed the flavor profile and she is one to prefer CC's over others. One hell of a smoke!!!

C

Pete has a story of the Tat Black, and the flavor is based on cuban homemade cigars he was gifted during a vacation or trip, I believe by an older gentleman.

I really liked the Red label Verocu Regional blends he released. with the West Coast being my favorite. Holt's sells a miniature version of the Verocu, sort of like a robusto.
I was gifted one, and while it wasn't exactly like the big guys, it was damned good.

Could not agree more Shawn, I have only had 1 Tat Black and was a damn fine smoke.

Edited for spelling mistake.

Monk is right about those Verocu's, haven't had the Holt's version but had two east, one west, still have one west remaining and that is one savory delicious SOB I'm saving to savor for the right moment cuz when its gone, ITS GONE!!!

C

Speaking of the Verocu...have you guys tried the Verocu #5, I guess you'd probably call it a minuto or half corona at 4x40. That cigar is a little firecracker, huge flavor in that little guy.

I too bought the Black tubos the day they were released and was disappointed with them until about a year later when I finally had one smoke good. In the interim, I took a gamble and picked up about 30 more to bury for a little while, I have hopes, possibly high hopes depending on how the next one I smoke does. Really enjoy the Red tubo, it was great right away and seems to be doing fine with the time, short though it has been. Looking forward to how those progress as well over a few years' time.

Joe

Speaking of the Verocu...have you guys tried the Verocu #5, I guess you'd probably call it a minuto or half corona at 4x40. That cigar is a little firecracker, huge flavor in that little guy.

I too bought the Black tubos the day they were released and was disappointed with them until about a year later when I finally had one smoke good. In the interim, I took a gamble and picked up about 30 more to bury for a little while, I have hopes, possibly high hopes depending on how the next one I smoke does. Really enjoy the Red tubo, it was great right away and seems to be doing fine with the time, short though it has been. Looking forward to how those progress as well over a few years' time.

Joe

Could not agree more with that statement, the #5 are a bloody good stick and I would highly recommend to anyone except a "Mild " smoker.

Agree on the black tubos. They are much better now with sone age. I like the red tubos better new.

The new tat black lanceros are really good. Need a little time to mellow out as the spice is really up front, if you like spicy cigars give it a try, I bought half a box to let them rest about a year to see if they mellow out at all, even if they don't they are a hell of a smoke, just wish that the lancero wasn't the only size :(

I think the Tat Blacks are a very fine cigar. The 1st one I smoked was with Pete himself. I have been hooked ever since. They remind me of a Taboada, especially when fresh. I also gave Pete a Taboada that night and he said it reminded him of his own cigars. Just bought a box of the Petite Lanceros!! Can't wait til they get here!! :thumbs: :D

I think the Tat Blacks are a very fine cigar. The 1st one I smoked was with Pete himself. I have been hooked ever since. They remind me of a Taboada, especially when fresh. I also gave Pete a Taboada that night and he said it reminded him of his own cigars. Just bought a box of the Petite Lanceros!! Can't wait til they get here!! :thumbs: :D

Who are you!!!??? :D

The Petit Lancero's are really good, but not as good as the CG's Alan.

The red tubos were great fresh. I smoked one the other week and I wasn't too impressed. And it's hard for me to knock Tatuajes as I smoke a ton of them. I agree that the black tubos need to lay down for long nap. Now I just recently smoke a Tat black out of the jar and after a few years of age, I thought they were fantastic so I'm hoping the black tubos will turn out just as nicely.