• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Exclusivo Zona Del Este

ndp

Tatuaje Exclusivo Zona Del Este (East Coast release)

Being such a Pepin whore I was excited to get my hands on one of these new release Tatuaje’s. This cigar came from an event hosted by one of my local B&M’s that featured Pete Johnson. Three cigars were presented to each person in attendance for tasting, the Tatuaje Unicos (brown band), the Havana VI Hermosos (red band), and the new East Coast Release Havana VI (another red band). Unfortunately due to work I was not able to attend this event, but the owner of the B&M graciously agreed to hold one of these new cigars for me.

Size and cigar construction are taken from tkoepp’s thread announcing the release of this new cigar.

"Exclusivo Zona Del Este, Verocu No.2" (East Coast release, Size: 5 ½ x 54).

Another quote taken from tkoepp’s thread….

"This blend will have a Cafe Rosado Oscuro wrapper (as opposed to the Cafe Rosado in the Havana VI classic line) and we are adding Ligero tobacco to the blend to give the cigar a more robust taste. Basically, its a Havana VI on steroids" -Pete Johnson

The cigar…..

med_gallery_3589_254_208781.jpg

med_gallery_3589_254_238744.jpg

This cigar was constructed with the same perfection that the rest of the Tatuaje line employs, no surprise there. Being a 54 ring gauge this cigar is a little thick for my smoking preferences. Prelight draws showed signs of fresh tobacco and what promised to be a nicotine packed cigar. With a slightly tight draw I started to think this cigar needed some humidor time. Believing that cigars should be ready to smoke when purchased, and knowing that this came out of a well maintained humidor that is kept at a steady 65%ish Rh, and temperature controlled environment (B&M’s owners Aristocrat kept in his office) I decided that this cigar needed to be smoked.

Lighting this cigar turned into somewhat of a chore. This is something that always puts a damper on my smoking experiences. After getting the cigar lit I had no problems keeping it lit and very little burn issues, at one point it started to burn a little erratic but eventually corrected itself. The flavors were full on tobacco from the beginning.

med_gallery_3589_254_379575.jpg

Half way point.
I am still waiting on this cigar to develop some more complex flavors. But so far it’s been pure tobacco, while this is not a bad thing it isn’t what I wanted from this cigar, or any cigar that carries the price and packaging I believe this cigar is going to receive. At this point I’m not sure if it’s the youngness of the tobacco, the Ligero that was introduced into this blend, or a combination of both but this cigar is starting to leave the back of my throat and mouth a little sore. Trying to slow down the pace of the smoke to take away some of the harshness the cigar ends up burning out.

med_gallery_3589_254_486725.jpg

med_gallery_3589_254_394996.jpg

After relighting I smoked this cigar down to where the second band was and its quitting time for me.

med_gallery_3589_254_12745.jpg

Summary
Young, this cigar definitely needs some age to mellow the harshness of the Ligero. With some age this might become a very good cigar. It is hard for me to tell, as I don’t have much experience with the differences between aged and young cigars of the same brand and vitola. This cigar was all tobacco all the way, while waiting and hoping for some complexities to come through it never happened for me. Not a complete disappointment but not something I will be rushing out to get my hands on. Basically it seemed like a young brown label that is going to command a higher price tag than the regular Havana VI line. While not quite as strong as the brown label it did have a harshness that I have not experienced in that line. I am going to save some money and pick up a few boxes of Padron 3000’s. I look forward to others thoughts and comments on this cigar, and its West Coast sibling as they become available.

I apologize in advance for spelling, and grammatical errors. And lack of quality pictures.

Nate

Solid review. I'm attempting to get my hands on a few from each coast. Sounds like letting them sit is the word so far though, not a problem. I'm sure they are worth the wait.

Very informative review. The pics were a nice touch. Thanks

Thanks Nate for a nice review. My .02 would be that you are correct, the youngness of the smokes probalby dominated the profile.. With some down time, I would assume that these would show their true colors.

Judging, by what appears to be an 1/8 of an inch black ring at the end of your cigar, I'd say this cigar was over humidified, which would account for the harshness you experienced. Keep them 60% to 63% for a month or so and try again.

Doc.

Thanks for the info Doc, never knew that was a sign of over humidification. If I get my hands on another I will dry box it for a few hours before smoking. I don't have the means to store multiple cigars at various different Rh. I keep my cooler between 65-63% seems to be a good range for me. The humidor this cigar was pulled from is kept at 65-70% I know most say this is too humid for Tatuaje but I wanted to smoke the cigar under "normal" conditions as most people (that I know) don't have separate humidors with various different Rh. Once again thanks for the info from now on I will look for the black ring when smoking.

Nate

Thanks for the "no holds barred" honest review. I guess this cigar should go on the "watch" list.

Wilkey

I waited a week or so before trying the one I had. Burned it last night, and have to say that it did indeed have a "kick" to it. Initially made me think of the Camacho Triple Maduro. I just slowed down and let it run it's course. At this young age, it should not be rushed. As a certified Tatuaje whore, I have to say I enjoyed this cigar. It is not at it's optimum at this point, but WHAT cigar really is? I await more of these to continue with an exhaustive study!!!

Great review and good input from everyone. If the opportunity arises, I'll pick a few up and put them away for a year.

Cool review!!!

I just saw the ad for these in the new CA. Kinda want to try them, but I have had a horrible time with Tatuajes...they never burn right for me and are harsh.

Interesting they are copying the Cuban regional releases...all the way down to the style of the bands.

I have just got my hands on one of each East and West and they look great. Can't wait to smoke em.' :thumbs:

Adrian I will be looking forward to your comments on both blends.

Nate

I just finished smoking one and dug up this review.

My impression almost mirrors what you think! :0

I thought it was very heavily dominated by wood and toasted tobacco flavors, though I did get some wood sugar, leather, and chocolate out of it. Also, the burn was spotty and mine also went out on me (even tried to canoe a little) when I slowed down on it.

I think it was a good stick, full of potential, but really needs some more box age. I don't really care for the large ring gauge either...so I think I'll just stick to the regular Tat. Havana VI smokes. ;)