• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Telemarketing calls

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
If you've gotten a call recently from a telemarketer, especially on your cell, and ESPECIALLY if it had something to do with a car warranty, please PM me the call from number. Its GREAT to have a personal agenda AND be in a position of POWER to do something about it. Its a BAD thing to call NullSmurf's cellphone and spout about expired car warranties. :angry:

We get them all the time on the 911 line here at the police department! They piss me off as well.
B

I've been getting a pre-recorded message on my home phone about lowering my interest rate on credit cards. I don't use credit cards, so all the more annoying. I usually don't answer calls that I don't recognize, but caller id indicates it is a cell call, so I presume that it is one of many friends that have moved to the area and brought their numbers from their old location along. I am getting quite pissed off. :angry:

The bad guy has to meet a few criteria for me to throw a stick in their spokes, but please do speak up. They can hide in the logs due to the sheer volume of legitimate calls. The worst offenders are originating in VoIP. Its so cheap for them that they are war dialing, effectively selecting entire blocks of numbers and dialing them one at a time (0001, 0002, etc) to see who/what answers. That is a no-no with many carriers, because they're not only ignoring no-call lists, they're dialing PSAPs (911 responders) by hitting the number groups that local 911 points to.

If you are going to call with pre-recorded messages, at least make them in English and not Spanish. (902) area code, Wisconsin...BAH!

So the real reason Bruce wants the handgun, comes to light... :sign:

Its GREAT to have a personal agenda AND be in a position of POWER to do something about it.

Perhaps it's a lack of observation on my part, but expound please... :D

I'm in the telcom business, and I have an attitude.

What recourse do you have on these donkeys? If it is a live person telemarketing me, I usually tell them to wait a moment while I get the owner of the house to speak with them. Then I just put the phone down and let them wait till they get tired and hang up. At least it wastes their time and hopefully slows them down from making other calls a little.

I must hurry quick! My warranty is about to expire. Wait, my car is ten years old and I never did have a warranty. And if I do I don't imagine it is going to expire all that soon considering they have been warning me about it every day for the last year. I'll PM you next time they call.

My junior year in college, I was a bartender in Athens, GA. While I loved my job, the money was hit-or-miss. Long story short, the Dawgs win, people get drunk and tip well. Dawgs lose, people get drunk, only they do it at home wallowing in self-despair (although I would have smug smile on my face being a UT fan and all... :D ). Anyway, I needed something to supplement my income, so I answered an ad for a telemarketing service in the back of the student newspaper.

Now, this wasn't residential telemarketing. I was supposed to call business and try to sell them a book on piping codes and regulations that cost $195. My "training" consisted of learning how to bluff my way past the receptionist and get to the boss by pretending I was somebody he knew. However, the businesses I was assigned to call were completely random. There's something strangely humorous about calling the assistant manager of a Dairy Queen and trying to convince him to buy a $200 book on something he has no damn clue about.

It was the shortest job I ever had. I quit after one hour. Maybe I should've called NullSmurf before I left :laugh:

I get these calls every day from a private number. Hang these guys from the highest tree, Bruce :angry:

I have found that a commericial strength air horn into the phone does wonders. Now, I keep it by the phone and look forward to when they call.

My junior year in college, I was a bartender in Athens, GA. While I loved my job, the money was hit-or-miss. Long story short, the Dawgs win, people get drunk and tip well. Dawgs lose, people get drunk, only they do it at home wallowing in self-despair (although I would have smug smile on my face being a UT fan and all... :D ). Anyway, I needed something to supplement my income, so I answered an ad for a telemarketing service in the back of the student newspaper.

Now, this wasn't residential telemarketing. I was supposed to call business and try to sell them a book on piping codes and regulations that cost $195. My "training" consisted of learning how to bluff my way past the receptionist and get to the boss by pretending I was somebody he knew. However, the businesses I was assigned to call were completely random. There's something strangely humorous about calling the assistant manager of a Dairy Queen and trying to convince him to buy a $200 book on something he has no damn clue about.

It was the shortest job I ever had. I quit after one hour. Maybe I should've called NullSmurf before I left :laugh:

Ethics frequent gets in the way of sales.

My voice mail message:

"Hi! You have reached *** ****. If you are a phone solicitor go eviscerate yourself with a rusty carpet knife. If you are anyone else, leave message, I'll get back to you."

jfields reported on that fit my profile, thanks. I'm all out of rusty carpet knives, but I think I slowed him a bit.