• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Temperature regulation

Zablan

I've been reading about these "coolidors" and theres a lot of good ideas here. My question is how do you regulate the temperature in these coolidors. There is plenty of info on regulating th RH in them but I'm not sure how you guys are controlling the temp. I should note that I live in Hawaii and the temp. can get up in the 80's and 90's at times. I would imagine most of you living in upper 48, your houses are climate controlled and thats how you regulate the temp. of your humidors. Thanks for any and all info on this subject

I'm new to this so I hope i'm not asking stupid questions but, do you mean just keep them in my refrigerator?

When I had the coolidors, I put them in the coolest closet of the house. We keep our house anywhere between 70-72 and they rarely got too hot. I did a couple of weeks, have to wet a towel and cover the top of the coolidors and that seemed to help.

I'm new to this so I hope i'm not asking stupid questions but, do you mean just keep them in my refrigerator?

That would be the easiest way.

freebern's towels may worl for a slight temp increase....but 80-90deg all the time....get some A/C or bury the boxes in the sand.

Really...that's the only way to do it. That and some antifreeze. (no...do not put antifreeze near your cigars!)

When I had the coolidors, I put them in the coolest closet of the house. We keep our house anywhere between 70-72 and they rarely got too hot. I did a couple of weeks, have to wet a towel and cover the top of the coolidors and that seemed to help.
When we had a house with no AC I found one closet on the interior of the house that rarely got about 70F, even on the hottest days. That's where I piled them up. I have a buddy that puts his in his crawlspace for long term storage.

Or, use "blue ice" in a ziploc bag, wrapped in a towel. That works well, too.

I'm in Hawaii as well, and have had an 18 bottle Vinotemp for about a year. It works well for keeping the temp between 66-70F. I hear that these don't last long out here (fans have to run a lot), so I'm on the lookout for an alternative option in case this one dies. A temp controlled Aristocrat is about $2k + shipping (yikes!). Some day, some day.

Anyone know what Bob uses to regulate temp in his THC units?

I ended up selling both my Vinotemps because they were the compressor types and the constant on/off during summer months were making my electricity bill spike too high. I couldn't justify my freighting in a cooled Staebell cabinet until I knew how much into this hobby I would ever get, and I still don't really know how far I want to downsize into.

I wish I had a basement like some members here where I hear temps in the 65 degrees are the norm. That being said, if you have a small room available, stick in a window AC and run it 24/7. The on/off cycle isn't too bad and your dilemma will be solved.

And John, the Staebell units use Peltier coolers, I believe.

http://www.ferrotec.com/technology/thermoelectric/ Link just for information.

Don't put them in the frig with the food! BRRRR! But if you can redesign the frig to maintain about 65 degrees and dedicate it to your cigar collection, then you have the beginnings of a storage device.(must kill mold first, of course)

I'm in Hawaii as well, and have had an 18 bottle Vinotemp for about a year. It works well for keeping the temp between 66-70F. I hear that these don't last long out here (fans have to run a lot), so I'm on the lookout for an alternative option in case this one dies. A temp controlled Aristocrat is about $2k + shipping (yikes!). Some day, some day.

Anyone know what Bob uses to regulate temp in his THC units?

pelter <- click These maybe?

Gotcha, in the meantime I'll be using the 'ol BlueIce wrapped in a towel in a ziplock trick.

*Need to find a good sized new/used cab in SoCal*

Gotcha, in the meantime I'll be using the 'ol BlueIce wrapped in a towel in a ziplock trick.

*Need to find a good sized new/used cab in SoCal*
*Clicky*

I'm trying to track down something similar to restore and retrofit with a petier. It's already insulated... :thumbs:

Lots of good ideas here guys... think I'm going to look into a Vinotemp, what other brands of wine coolers do you think are good for cigar storage?

Back