• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The end of an era...

CarsonTheCat

Don't mind me, I'm just a cat
Sounds like an ominous title, but I wasn't quite sure how to broach the topic.

Got some rather sobering news from my doctor that if I don't stop smoking and drinking now, that I probably won't make it past 60 years old. Which hit close to home, seeing as how both my father and his father died at 61 years old from heart issues. Apparently, after putting all the pieces together, there is quite the history of heart disease, heart failure and heart attacks on my father's side of the family, with most of the men not making it to 70.

I certainly abused my body in the past (especially in my crazy 20s) with alcohol, cigarettes and herb. I thought maybe cigars would be a better alternative, but the doctor noticed some irregularities with my heart recently (elevated heart rate and blood pressure, as well as the possible start of atrial fibrillation).

I waited 30 years to find the right woman and get married for the first and only time in my life, so I need to make some drastic changes in my life to ensure I have as long as possible with her, and hopefully outlive my dad and grandpa.

I've decided to heed the doctor's warning and my wife's pleading, and quit smoking and drinking for good. I've made some great friends here, and hope that me NOT smoking won't stop us from being friends.

I applaud you for doing this. I don’t know if I would have the strength to do that if my doctor told me. You’ll be missed but respected and remembered.

I applaud you for doing this. I don’t know if I would have the strength to do that if my doctor told me. You’ll be missed but respected and remembered.

Thank you brother. I barely have the strength to do it, but I don't see I have much choice. It sucks, big time.

Major respect for you doing what's best for you and your loved ones. A lot of people wouldn't have the strength or the care to make the sacrifice you are making. Please stay in contact, you are a great friend and would hate to see you go.

Meh, he's just a doctor....what does he know?! 😛

Seriously though, I applaud your choice to do what you can to extend your time with your bride.

I knew you all would understand, and I thank you all for that. It's a very difficult decision to make, but as people keep telling me, my health is the number 1 priority. I don't plan on leaving as I have made great friends here, but won't be as active in my participation. I'll have to live vicariously through you guys!

Glad they caught this early so you make some life changes. It's hard but you can do this.

Stay healthy my friend and I commend you for doing this. I’m not sure I could be as strong but you know your doing the right thing. I’m not sure if you knew this but it was a post from you that brought me to this page. I owe you for the great people I’ve met including yourself.

That sucks to hear, man. However, family, life, and health are more important. If you've got family history of early expiration, then don't mess around with it. Do what you have to do -- I know that everyone supports you in that. I hope that we will still see you around here and on Saturdays, but totally understand if you need to distance yourself from being around the smoking and drinking from a mental standpoint, too. You have been a great friend and a great addition to the forum; don't be a stranger around here!

Excellent decision. I hope I have the same strength if given the same ultimatum from my doctor. Don't think of this as a cigar forum, think of us as a group of friends. Stick around and cheer us on as we overbuy on things we don't need and tease the "Other Brad"

I haven't drank in 6 or so years. It sucks at times, but overall isn't too bad.

The only time I could see it being a bit sucky is during the holidays when everyone else is drinking during dinner and such. But otherwise, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.