• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The girl in the window

Irish

XXXL
Someone posted this story on another forum I frequent, I thought I would pass it on. It's really hard to put into words the range of emotions this stirred up in me, so I won't even try - just take the time to read it, and hug your kids a little tighter before you go to bed tonight:

http://tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/article750838.ece

A short snippet:

The Girl in the Window

...Plant City Detective Mark Holste had been on the force for 18 years when he and his young partner were sent to the house on Old Sydney Road to stand by during a child abuse investigation. Someone had finally called the police.

They found a car parked outside. The driver's door was open and a woman was slumped over in her seat, sobbing. She was an investigator for the Florida Department of Children and Families.

"Unbelievable," she told Holste. "The worst I've ever seen."...

... Choking back rage, he approached the mother. How could you let this happen?

"The mother's statement was: 'I'm doing the best I can,' " the detective said. "I told her, 'The best you can sucks!' "

He wanted to arrest the woman right then, but when he called his boss he was told to let DCF do its own investigation.

So the detective carried the girl down the dim hall, past her brothers, past her mother in the doorway, who was shrieking, "Don't take my baby!" He buckled the child into the state investigator's car. The investigator agreed: They had to get the girl out of there.

"Radio ahead to Tampa General," the detective remembers telling his partner. "If this child doesn't get to a hospital, she's not going to make it."

I just blogged about this, such a moving story. This world definitely needs some more love.

There are no words for this. Nothing to say about the mother that would come close to what I feel.

And nothing to say about Dani's parents, there are times when being speechless is not only, the only option, but the right one as well.

My prayers go out to this amazing family.

Tim

This story is so touching i was holding back tears when i was reading it.

That just kils me! I am just glad that Dani now has someone to love & care for her. :)

seems like her mother may have been borderline mentally-retarded as well, sad situation all around. It's encouraging to read about her foster family choosing to not take the easy way out, and take on this child with some huge needs. Humanity at it's finest.

Whoa - wasn't ready for that this morning. What a story

This just makes me ill. To think that any parent would do this to their own child is just beyond my comprehension. Your kids come before you 24/7 PERIOD! I've been a single parent and you do what you have to do...your kids come first! I think what really pisses me off is that piece of shit mom who's living in her 'clean trailer' and not behind bars somewhere rolling around in her own fecal matter, where she should be! :angry: Ok...I have to stop before I get all worked up and go hunt the piece of shit down myself!!!!!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Believe it or not this story made me smile, because of the way it ended. I also believe that the mother was mentally challanged.

Absolutely abhorrent. The biological mother sickens me in a way that I cannot express with words. Through her gross neglect, this child may never experience the world in the capacity that she deserves as a human being. This is so wrong. What disgusts me further is how lightly this filth got off for such abuse.

I am glad such a kind family picked up the pieces, and has the love and willpower to persevere.

Just... ridiculous. A 'feral' child in this day and age. As I was reading this story, my 15 month old daughter woke up for a bottle. I was not annoyed for a change, because I wanted an excuse to go and hug her and see if she was alright.

I just spent a good 45 minutes reading and talking about that.

I cannot even begin to understand what is wrong with some people.

I saw this story on FARK. I have no sympathy for the mother though. She may have a diminished mental capacity, but if you're functional enough to live on your own, you know better than to treat a child like that.

I had to take some time to think, before i could post a reply to this story. Being a parent and grandparent i've known people who aren't good parents and should never have reproduced. How anyone could do to this little girl what they did is beyond comprehension. There's a special place in hell for the parents of this child, i'm appalled and beyond words.

A couple of things in particular disturb me more than the overall story: The fact that she was prone to fits of anger and she didn't like to be touched when they first rescued her coupled with the fact that she was “left unattended for days with a retarded older brother, never seen wearing anything but a diaper.” I shudder to think that a three year old was left in the care of a teenage older brother who is mentally retarded. I think a very strong case of sexual abuse can be made from these facts. I'll pray for this child and hope that someday she can lead a normal life. At least she is with a family that loves her and can show her the appropriate affection.

I would assume they did numerous tests to see about sexual abuse, but yea, I suppose it's in the realm of possibility.

That is a heart wrenching story but thank God for Lierow family, what a couple.

Just so happens two people are currently on trial here in Denver for something similar. Unfortunately the authorities found out too late and the 7 year old boy died weighing just 34 pounds.

Wow.

I am always amazed by two things:

1 -- the depth of human "evilness"

2. -- the depth of human strength to overcome