• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The great Fyodor blind taste test!

This was a great thread from start to finish and thanks to both parties for their efforts. :thumbs:

A big thanks to Andrew for giving me the opportunity to not only smoke some very fine and rare cigars but to also enlighten me on just how good non Cubans can be and how many misconceptions and prejudices I have attributed to them. Cigars no. 2 and 10 seemed so Cuban to me I was absolutely sure of it. And the actual Cuban cigars mostly seemed less Cuban than these two with the exception of Cigar no.9. And speaking of cigar no.9 you totally blew me away. It's not so much the monetary value of this cigar but it's rarity and the fact that they will all soon enough disappear and you saw fit to send me, a total stranger to you, one is amazing. Joining this forum is the best decision I've made concerning my cigar smoking hobby.

I would also like to thank everyone who followed this thread and especially those who posted encouraging comments. I was expecting to get heckled on all my wrong predictions and was very pleasantly surprised. I would recommend everyone occasionally doing a blind taste test of this sort. You really never know what is influencing your tastes until you taste them without all the positive hype or negative reviews.

As I said early in this thread, the original argument between Moki and I was old and I had learned through experience to see things a bit differently. However this blind taste test helped to further erase my prejudices. I still love Cuban cigars all the same, think many of them share certain characteristics that are rare among non Cubans, but I now know these characteristics are possible from cigars of other countries and in fact some Cubans often lack them.

I'm still baffled about the Sir Winston and Cohiba. It just doesn't seem to jive with my tastes in cigars. But mood among other factors I believe play a big part so who knows. Cigars also vary from one to another and it is somewhat possible I got bad specimens, I kind of doubt it though. And as for that Tatuaje Black label... Well I doubt I will end up falling in love with those but I think I might not have given it a fair chance.

Well a big thanks to everyone again! Cigar Pass is the best.

-mark

I think at some point in the future, I may do a larger-scale blind taste testing. Pick perhaps 10 people, and give them all 10 cigars to blind taste test. It'd be interesting to see the results... I'd probably have people buy into that, though, the expense could get a bit prohibitive :)

As I was reading through this I was thinking the same thing Moki. How great would it be to see a big blind taste test. I'm sure the people involved would be happy to send you the cost of the sticks, and the board would gain valuable insight from it.

I would sign up just for kicks. Thanks for the entertainment guys, always fun and interesting to see these tests go down. Andrew: you are still rigged.

Great job, both of you and thank you both for doing this. Interesting, enlightening, surprising and it's great fun to read!

Moki and Fyodor, thanks to you both for a great thread.

It has been a great read and very educational.

Bravo, gentlemen. You truly are...

GentlemenOfQuality.jpg

Indeed!

I think at some point in the future, I may do a larger-scale blind taste testing. Pick perhaps 10 people, and give them all 10 cigars to blind taste test. It'd be interesting to see the results... I'd probably have people buy into that, though, the expense could get a bit prohibitive :)

Is this the signup thread??? :sign:

Great thread to read guys. You both did a great job. :)

The price might squew the perceptions of the cigars...
Not sure how to get around that.

I definately enjoyed following the experiment!

-Rob

This has been better than any cigar related magazine story that I've read in years.

Also, ranks as the best CP thread, since my short time here.

Bravo!

Kevin

Great job on this. I have read it all the way through multiple times... Moki if you do a larger scale I would gladly buy in just for the learning experience!

Great job Fyodor. Along with the exact same results, cigars 7, me 3, I had many of my preconceptions erased as well.

I had a very dramatic change of heart and have been buying more Nicaraguan cigars than ever before.

I'm not sure if it is scientifically a perfect experiment and there will always be doubters, but it certainly was a convincing week for me when I did my taste test and I sorta miss the thrill of smoking a cigar with no preconceived notions nor expectations.

I think this test speaks volumes about Fyodor's courage as well as huge volumes about Moki's generosity with his cigars and many years of knowlege. (and boy does he have some nice cigars!!)

I truly believe Moki will forget more about cigars this week than I will learn in my life.

Gentelmen, Thank You! Truly a fun and informative thread.

Cuban tobacco is the best in the world. Based on taste and quality, it has no peers.

J/K. Very fun thread to follow and kudos to Mark for taking on the challenge, and Andrew for his tremendous generosity and organizing it all.

Very nice idea. I thought I would have no problem indentifying the ISOM's from all the rest. After reading most of this thread and then some it may be harder than it seems. I liked it!

Thanks.......... :cool:

Cuban tobacco is the best in the world. Based on taste and quality, it has no peers.

J/K. Very fun thread to follow and kudos to Mark for taking on the challenge, and Andrew for his tremendous generosity and organizing it all.

hahaha -- nice one :)

Hopefully Rod won't mind me bumping these threads... just thought some folks might find the blind reviews interesting.