• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The great Fyodor blind taste test!

k now you have went to far. That Cohiba is the best cigar on the planet. Fyodor, You are Fired. lol

actually that cigar is very very very very tasty.

You know I don't feel the least bit bad about this one. I knew the cigar was going to be something supposedly great as they all have been thus far but I just think this was a poor cigar. I have liked the Cohiba siglo line in the past but I have never really thought they were worth the extra money. Maybe there is something to Moki's comment about these getting inconsistent reviews. Really I can't see why anyone would love the particular cigar I smoked no matter what the band says. I've been noticing all through this blind taste test that I would much prefer the common cheap Cubans I normally smoke to these high priced ones. Sorry Cohiba devotees.

Good thread it makes me wonder about a blind taste test with expensive and average sticks which would win.

Good thread it makes me wonder about a blind taste test with expensive and average sticks which would win.

IIRC, the 858 maduro scored very highly in a blind test that Moki did at Club Stogie, and there were plenty of super premiums in that test as well.

IIRC, the 858 maduro scored very highly in a blind test that Moki did at Club Stogie, and there were plenty of super premiums in that test as well.

It was a natural, and it scored 8 out of ten points and was thought Cuban. That review made me go out and buy a few from my B&M after work, because I haven't smoked one of these for a good six months, and I thought it was worth revisiting. :thumbs:

After participating in a similar test recently with Moki, I am enjoying being a spectator tremendously and salute Fyodor for his efforts.

My least favorite cigar in my taste was a regional release Ramon Allones Emmencia (sp), so reading about the Cohiba isn't a complete shock for me.

The Cohiba maduro in my taste blew me away though.

I will enjoy following the remainder of this test and am sure Moki will tell you that there is no such thing as failure here, just an opportunity to learn about perception vs. reality in some ways.

Man, I just spent an hour or so reading this thread. I simply want to say thank you to both of the primary participants: Moki and Fyodor, as this is an excellent read thus far, and a fascinating case study. Thank you!

After participating in a similar test recently with Moki, I am enjoying being a spectator tremendously and salute Fyodor for his efforts.

My least favorite cigar in my taste was a regional release Ramon Allones Emmencia (sp), so reading about the Cohiba isn't a complete shock for me.

I will enjoy following the remainder of this test and am sure Moki will tell you that there is no such thing as failure here, just an opportunity to learn about perception vs. reality in some ways.

Don't forget the last cigar... the Don Carlos Senior Blend! :) Welcome to CP, FloydPink!

I agree, there is no way you can fail at a test that it design to challenge your preconceptions... you can only have them perhaps altered somewhat, likely for the better.

I agree completely. Even though it is presented as a test in which the subject attempts to correctly identify 7 of 10 cigar origins, I think that calling it a test is a misnomer. For one thing, as Floyd rightly pointed out above, there is no real failure here. For another, even some of the correctly "guessed" cigars revealed surprises as they were found to be tastier or, more often, less appealing than originally thought. So in my mind, instead of a test it is really more of a challenge: to our preconceptions and prejudices as well as our skill.

"Moki's Great Cigar Challenge" or "Moki's Magnificent Cigar Partiality Fubarification Event" or some other copyrightable sort of moniker ;)

Hey, this could even lead to some new words.

"Mokiphany" - (1) the flash of inisght and state of enlightenment that follows having your cigar preconceptions shattered by Moki. (2) the state that follows any mind boggling revelation.

"Mokified" - (1) the state of being horrified by Moki during his challenge after learning that you chose a $1.37 yard gar over a $27 aged Cuban.

"Mok'd" - similar to Punk'd (1) being Mokified without knowing that Moki is attempting to bring you into a state of Mokiphany.

Don't forget the last cigar... the Don Carlos Senior Blend! :) Welcome to CP, FloydPink!

I agree, there is no way you can fail at a test that it design to challenge your preconceptions... you can only have them perhaps altered somewhat, likely for the better.

I didn't want to mention the Don Carlos Senior as I wasn't sure if you tossed one in here. If you did, Fyodor is in for a treat.

Welp, there are just two cigars to go... maybe with luck, Fyodor will have time to finish them both up this week! It's been a fun ride...

Cigar no. 9

This cigar was quite good, thank god, I really didn't want to post another negative review, it makes me feel guilty. The prelight aroma was very nice and typical of a Cuban cigar. It started off Cedary with slight cocoa and cream notes. It then developed a nice tea flavor with some cashew and pretzel flavor. It really had some nice subtle flavors. Also, it was a bit bitter but that actually went well with this cigar. There was a pleasantly long finish with tea and citrus flavors. It was mild to medium in body. Plenty of "twang" on this one, I actually got a cramp in my tongue at one point, no joke. That wasn't so enjoyable but it soon passed and didn't detract from my over all enjoyment. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is a Cuban Trinidad Fundadore. They are among my favorite cigars even though I have only had ten of them in the past, five from '98 and five from'00. I actually liked those a little better though. I feel it's a bit risky trying to name the actual cigar, especially given my track record, but I can't resist. In my mind it became a Fundadore either way. 9/10

Verdict- Cuban

When I began doing this taste test I took it very seriously and only drank water with the cigars which was kind of a bummer for me. A couple cigars ago I started drinking coffee with them. For this one I said screw it and had some Cognac (Pierre Ferrand Reserve Des Dieux). What I match the cigar with has a great impact on my mood and over all enjoyment level which also has an impact on how I feel about the cigar. And I'm a moody person as it is so I'm sure my reviews have been a bit altered due to it.

Glad you enjoyed this one :)
I hope you're right. The anticipation is kiiillllliiiing me haha.

LETS GO MOKI

Cigar no. 9
...I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is a Cuban Trinidad Fundadore...

I don't think Moki would put that one in there. He doesn't particularly care for them so I can't imagine he'd have those stocked.

Just going off of what you provided without seeing the cigar, and Moki's tastes, I'd guess a limited edition Davidoff (Panatela Extra maybe?) or some sort of Pepin lancero.

Cigar no. 9

This cigar was quite good, thank god, I really didn't want to post another negative review, it makes me feel guilty. The prelight aroma was very nice and typical of a Cuban cigar. It started off Cedary with slight cocoa and cream notes. It then developed a nice tea flavor with some cashew and pretzel flavor. It really had some nice subtle flavors. Also, it was a bit bitter but that actually went well with this cigar. There was a pleasantly long finish with tea and citrus flavors. It was mild to medium in body. Plenty of "twang" on this one, I actually got a cramp in my tongue at one point, no joke. That wasn't so enjoyable but it soon passed and didn't detract from my over all enjoyment. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is a Cuban Trinidad Fundadore. They are among my favorite cigars even though I have only had ten of them in the past, five from '98 and five from'00. I actually liked those a little better though. I feel it's a bit risky trying to name the actual cigar, especially given my track record, but I can't resist. In my mind it became a Fundadore either way. 9/10

Verdict- Cuban

When I began doing this taste test I took it very seriously and only drank water with the cigars which was kind of a bummer for me. A couple cigars ago I started drinking coffee with them. For this one I said screw it and had some Cognac (Pierre Ferrand Reserve Des Dieux). What I match the cigar with has a great impact on my mood and over all enjoyment level which also has an impact on how I feel about the cigar. And I'm a moody person as it is so I'm sure my reviews have been a bit altered due to it.

In some ways I wanted you to get this one wrong.. and in other ways, I really didn't want you to get this one wrong... read on!

Cigar #9 results

Fyodor says:

Cigar rating: 9/10
Origin guess: Cuba
Cuban/non-Cuban: Cuban

Survey says:

Actual origin: Cuba
Cigar #9 is a: Cuban Davidoff No.1 (1985) (7.5" x 38)

Commentary:

In some ways I really wanted you to get this one wrong, or pan this cigar... because it would have been relatively perverse and contrarian. In other ways, though, given how coveted these cigars are, and how much they cost, I actually am really glad you got it right, and enjoyed the cigar.

What you smoked is one of the "holy grail" cigars for cigar smokers, a 23 year old Cuban Davidoff No.1... pretty amazing how much flavor can be present in a cigar this old, no? An interesting contrast to the aged Cuban Montecristo you started the test off with, no?

So while it would have been fun if you hated this cigar, or got it wrong... in the end, I'm glad neither was the case... and I'm glad you enjoyed the cigar. Perhaps you confirmed some of the hype for people who chase these cigars.

Well done, you nailed it! Just one cigar to go! :)

Results so far:

#1 - Cuban Montecristo Tubos 1970s -- (5/10) guessed non-Cuban, Domincan or Honduran - Incorrect
#2 - non-Cuban Cabaiguan WCD 120 -- (9/10) guessed Cuban - Incorrect
#3 - non-Cuban Tatuaje Black Label -- (1/10) guessed non-Cuban, "a country not meant to be growing tobacco" - Correct!
#4 - Cuban H. Upmann Sir Winston -- (7/10) guessed non-Cuban, Dominican - Incorrect
#5 - Cuban Montecristo Reserva No.4 -- (8/10) guessed non-Cuban, Nicaraguan - Incorrect
#6 - non-Cuban Tatuaje Maravilla -- (9/10) guessed non-Cuban, Dominican - Correct!
#7 - non-Cuban Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label Delicias -- (6/10) guessed Cuban - Incorrect
#8 - Cuban Cohiba Seleccion Reserva Robusto -- (3/10) guessed non-Cuban, Nicaraguan - Incorrect
#9 - Cuban Davidoff No.1 (1985) -- (9/10) guessed Cuban - Correct!

Score: Cigars 6, Fyodor 3

Well done fyodor! And awesome for you to include that Moki, those things I'm sure are impossible to come by!

OMG! Moki, you really shouldn't have. My goodness! Well thank you for including it. I would never have thought it possible. This would have really been the end of me if I would have given it a bad rating. I owe you big time.

sincerely

-mark

I'm drooling here!

I'm damn glad you enjoyed it too Fyodor. I would have been in shock if you hated this one :p

Cigar no. 9

Verdict- Cuban

This is very interesting...IMO, what you have just said may have skewed your earlier findings. If you are accustomed to smoking with a,b, or c and then you suddenly change your consistent ritual, the cigar, may taste a lot different. Add into the equation that you are searching for familiar flavors with a missing component, your taste buds will not be accustomed to the sudden change. IMO, if you had not changed anything, just sat down and smoked, you may have come up with different results. ???

Either way, well done!

What do you think Moki, does that make sense?

Survey says:

Actual origin: Cuba
Cigar #9 is a: Cuban Davidoff No.1 (1985) (7.5" x 38)

Commentary:

What you smoked is one of the "holy grail" cigars for cigar smokers, a 23 year old Cuban Davidoff No.1... pretty amazing how much flavor can be present in a cigar this old, no? An interesting contrast to the aged Cuban Montecristo you started the test off with, no?

You certainly don't mess about with your selection of sticks Andrew but why am I not surprised...very generous!

I have been fortunate to smoke this stick. These are unique and for me, surprisingly excellent after so many years. Many Cubans can and will go backwards after a certain amount of years, not this one.

Brian

This is very interesting...IMO, what you have just said may have skewed your earlier findings. If you are accustomed to smoking with a,b, or c and then you suddenly change your consistent ritual, the cigar, may taste a lot different. Add into the equation that you are searching for familiar flavors with a missing component, your taste buds will not be accustomed to the sudden change. IMO, if you had not changed anything, just sat down and smoked, you may have come up with different results. ???

Either way, well done!

What do you think Moki, does that make sense?

I absolutely agree. What you pair a cigar with can affect the taste of the cigar, and also, if you're drinking something that puts you in a good mood, you'll likely enjoy the cigar more as well. That's why I listed mood first for What affects the taste of a cigar?

May not be right for everyone, but it seems about right for me...