• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The great Fyodor blind taste test!

I was merely questioning the validity of your test. An old old habit from Psych school. I truly appriciate your generosity and expertise in sponsoring this. I'll refrain from here on out. Thanks.

That answer to what we are testing here has been explicitly stated over and over again. The test, as framed, is quite valid.

I just got a headache from reading all 9 pages...

Moki was talking about this blind test, or maybe another one with me while he was out in Vegas. Funny to see this one played out.

You guys should ask Moki (in another thread) about his Vegas Carjacking Experience....LMAO

Cigar no. 6

This cigar was a real beauty. It was very smooth, refined, balanced and complex. The prelight revealed very little but was pleasant. They really don't come any smother than this, not the slightest hint of harshness. It started off with a blast of Spanish cedar which dissipated and a very tasty toffee like flavor. The complexity was really amazing though. It grabbed my attention and held it throughout. This cigar continued to develop new flavors. Among them, almonds, black pepper, steak, leather, milk chocolate, floral notes, a grapefruit like citrus quality, cream. It also had a bit of a rubbery taste that I wasn't real fond of but it came and went and didn't really detract from the over all experience. After a while I quit trying to pick out flavors and just had to sit back and enjoy. It was medium bodied and the flavors really harmonized well. It was very savory and it was hard to keep from over puffing in the beginning. It had a short finish and left my palate clean. Nothing about it really points to a Cuban or Nicaraguan origin. It seemed to have more in common with cigars from the Dominican. If that is the case it's definitely among my favorites from that country. I hope these are readily available because I certainly wouldn't mind smoking another. 9/10

Verdict- nonCuban

That review is detailed, succinct, and confident. Nice job Fyodor, I think that's your best so far. Props to you seeing this thing through.

- Tim

Great thread guys; having no ability to distinguish the individual tastes myself, this is quite interesting.

Ken

Cigar no. 7

On the prelight this cigar had a nice semi-sweet aroma and some spice on the draw. After lit the peppery spice quickly gave way to an almond and walnut nuttiness and burnt wood. After an inch or so it started getting slightly bitter and developed some grassy notes. It was also a bit herbal. As I smoked, it became more bitter with some odd tart notes and an unpleasant metallic finish. While not a bad cigar it really wasn't to my liking. It had some good flavors but the bitterness was a real distraction. It's a shame because it really did seem to have some potential. Even though I wasn't that fond of it I still believe it was Cuban. It reminds me of a few Cubans I've had that were a bit off. 6/10

Verdict- Cuban

Cigar no. 7

On the prelight this cigar had a nice semi-sweet aroma and some spice on the draw. After lit the peppery spice quickly gave way to an almond and walnut nuttiness and burnt wood. After an inch or so it started getting slightly bitter and developed some grassy notes. It was also a bit herbal. As I smoked, it became more bitter with some odd tart notes and an unpleasant metallic finish. While not a bad cigar it really wasn't to my liking. It had some good flavors but the bitterness was a real distraction. It's a shame because it really did seem to have some potential. Even though I wasn't that fond of it I still believe it was Cuban. It reminds me of a few Cubans I've had that were a bit off. 6/10

Verdict- Cuban

Cigar #7 results

Fyodor says:

Cigar rating: 6/10
Origin guess: Cuba
Cuban/non-Cuban: Cuban

Survey says:

Actual origin: Nicaraguan
Cigar #7 is a: non-Cuban Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label Delicias (7" x 50)

Commentary:

Not an off Cuban, but rather an off Nicaraguan Don Pepin blend! From the wiki:

These are full-bodied cigars and are not recommended for a beginning smoker. The wrapper is an oily Nicaraguan Corojo Oscuro leaf, described as cinnamon in color.

My opinion of these cigars jives with yours... I think they are okay. I like some of the things that Don Pepin has done, but not all of them. I believe the wrapper on this cigar was coming off a bit after I clipped the foot, hopefully that didn't impact the cigar experience too much.

Given that the cigar had nice tastes, but was a bit on the bitter side, I think it's reasonable to conclude that some age could take the rough edge off, and these might turn into real gems for you.

Only 3 more cigars to go before the test is over... it's been a fun ride so far, but there are some interesting cigars to come, so hang in there! I think everyone reading this thread appreciates your efforts, Fyodor!

Results so far:

#1 - Cuban Montecristo Tubos 1970s -- (5/10) guessed non-Cuban, Domincan or Honduran - Incorrect
#2 - non-Cuban Cabaiguan WCD 120 -- (9/10) guessed Cuban - Incorrect
#3 - non-Cuban Tatuaje Black Label -- (1/10) guessed non-Cuban, "a country not meant to be growing tobacco" - Correct!
#4 - Cuban H. Upmann Sir Winston -- (7/10) guessed non-Cuban, Dominican - Incorrect
#5 - Cuban Montecristo Reserva No.4 -- (8/10) guessed non-Cuban, Nicaraguan - Incorrect
#6 - non-Cuban Tatuaje Maravilla -- (9/10) guessed non-Cuban, Dominican - Correct!
#7 - non-Cuban Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label Delicias -- (6/10) guessed Cuban - Incorrect

Score: Cigars 5, Fyodor 2

Wow, I actually liked the couple Blue labels I had in the past, I was even the first to review it on Cigar Pass. And yeah, the wrapper was coming off but didn't cause too much of a problem. Once again I am shocked!

-mark

edited beacause I actually have had this vitola which I stated I didn't.

Wow, I actually liked the couple Blue labels I had in the past, I was even the first to review it on Cigar Pass. Never had this particular vitola before though. And yeah, the wrapper was coming off but didn't cause too much of a problem. Once again I am shocked!

Could be an off cigar, could be an off day... or who knows! :D Taste is really a fickle mistress.

BTW, something the careful observer might notice is that the cigars in this taste test are not just a mix of Cuban and non-Cuban... they are also a mix of super-premium cigars and relatively pedestrian cigars (some from each side of the fence).

I did this on purpose... I've long been interested to see what the reviews would end up being like for extremely aged or highly sought after cigars, compared to their less "desirable" brethren. Very interesting indeed... :)

BTW, something the careful observer might notice is that the cigars in this taste test are not just a mix of Cuban and non-Cuban... they are also a mix of super-premium cigars and relatively pedestrian cigars (some from each side of the fence).

I did this on purpose... I've long been interested to see what the reviews would end up being like for extremely aged or highly sought after cigars, compared to their less "desirable" brethren. Very interesting indeed... :)

Thanks Moki, I was curious as to why you chose the cigars you did.

I notice a trend here. Fyodor prefers non-Cuban smokes and didn't even know it! The blend is what he prefers in flavor, the Cuban mystique seems to be the ideal flavor, when origin is known.

Fun to watch. . . three more to go!

Nick

Gosh I love this thread! I read every page, and paused when Moki posted the link to his own blind-test and read that entire thread, then came back to this one!

Before this is over, I wanted to thank Moki and Fyodor for entertaining me at 4:42 AM :)
And of course thanks to Moki for supplying such great smokes, and to Fyodor for being such a good sport about it!

This is fascinating to watch unfold. Thank you Moki and Fyodor. I've read the links to the blind wine tasting but was wondering if anyone has passed this Cuban/Non-Cuban test with any degree of accuracy. Would the reviews at CA be able to discern the difference? What about those that write the reviews for some of the sponsors of CP? Moki, have you done it yourself? I'm just curious if it's possible to tell the difference or I just haven't seen someone with an "expert" pallate take the test.

Yes, I've done it myself. Some I have done well at, some I have not. Here were my comments on the last blind taste test I did:

It's really hard to know how much is statistical variance (ie, luck) because just 10 cigars means nothing, really. I will say though that all of my guesses had reasoning behind them.

Also keep in mind that there are still two cigars to go... If I get them both wrong and Dane gets them both right, he's only one cigar behind me in the test.

Dane (Hotboy), for all of the crap he gets, is a very knowledgable cigar smoker, with a very refined palate. I think it just shows that this is harder than many people beleive it to be.

What I did for each cigar was as follows:

1) I looked at the cigar. What kind of wrapper was it? That right there can exclude Cuba for certain wrapper types. What vitola is it? Certain nuances to classic Cuban vitolas can include or exclude the cigar right there.

2) I used my knowledge of JC, the person administering the test. I know in broad terms what cigars he is likely to have, and what taste profile he likes.

3) The taste of the cigar itself, recalling taste profiles of the cigars I have had in the past.

If you took away 1 and 2 above, I think I would have done worse

Finally got around to reading the link, and great job on that Moki. I can't count the number of times I nearly spewed coffee on my keyboard reading all the "Suck it Hoffman" comments. Very enjoyable.

I notice a trend here. Fyodor prefers non-Cuban smokes and didn't even know it! The blend is what he prefers in flavor, the Cuban mystique seems to be the ideal flavor, when origin is known.

Fun to watch. . . three more to go!

I'm not sure if there is enough data here to establish any trends one way or the other. What I always hope to accomplish in a blind taste testing is to have some fun, and challenge people's preconceptions. I think no hard and fast determination can be taken from a sample size this small, but it certainly can get you thinking about what you enjoy, and why.

I hope Fyodor will not mind, but a comment he sent to me via PM was this:

"I have to say I'm enjoying it but it will be nice to go back to knowing what to expect from a cigar before lighting it."

...which really is a very interesting and apropos comment. To me it underscores the idea that knowledge of what you're going to smoke alters your expectations, can influence the outcome of how much you enjoy the cigar or not. And this is comforting, to an extent.

But in the end, it's just a little reality check, and some enjoyable entertainment for all.

Cigar no. 8

Prelight aroma was very faint and a little bit odd, and taste wise I couldn't really register anything. After it was lit the cigar was a little bit harsh and had mostly straight forward tobacco flavors. It had a faint wood flavor with a bit of a metallic taste. Also had a small hint of cocoa and coffee. It had a trace of sweetness here and there which was it's only redeeming quality for me. I really did not enjoy this cigar much at all. It was medium to full bodied with a long and mostly unpleasant finish. A boring, plain cigar. The flavors it did have were mostly not so good. It also imparted a rather foul odor in the room. It's probably Nicaraguan but a poor one at that, at least for me.
3/10.

Verdict- nonCuban

Cigar no. 8

Prelight aroma was very faint and a little bit odd, and taste wise I couldn't really register anything. After it was lit the cigar was a little bit harsh and had mostly straight forward tobacco flavors. It had a faint wood flavor with a bit of a metallic taste. Also had a small hint of cocoa and coffee. It had a trace of sweetness here and there which was it's only redeeming quality for me. I really did not enjoy this cigar much at all. It was medium to full bodied with a long and mostly unpleasant finish. A boring, plain cigar. The flavors it did have were mostly not so good. It also imparted a rather foul odor in the room. It's probably Nicaraguan but a poor one at that, at least for me.
3/10.

Verdict- nonCuban

OMG! This is a good one... read on!

Cigar #8 results

Fyodor says:

Cigar rating: 3/10
Origin guess: Nicaragua
Cuban/non-Cuban: non-Cuban

Survey says:

Actual origin: Cuba
Cigar #8 is a: Cuban Cohiba Seleccion Reserva Robusto (4.9" x 50)

Commentary:

Well, now you've gone and done it, Fyodor... you've committed blasphemy in the minds of many Cuban aficionados... you just panned the cream of the Cuban crop, the venerable Cohiba! Not Nicaraguan, and not a poor one... the mighty Cohiba, and a special expensive vintage release no less!

Still, given the age and typical Cohiba profile, I'm surprised you found the cigar to be harsh given that it was released in 2003. In fairness, this special "Seleccion Reserva" release, despite the high price and packaging, has received inconsistent reviews. That Habanos SA had two different boxcode years associated with them made some think they cashed in a less than pristine manner.

Brutal. Just goes to show that every country, and every marca, can produce bad product. Really interesting to see higher-end pretentious cigars like the Cohiba Reserva reviewed blind and get panned. Some part of me loves the delicious irony.

But I am sorry you didn't enjoy the cigar. I typically love Cuban Cohibas... I have been less impressed with the Seleccion Reservas than I have with the regular line... go figure.

Results so far:

#1 - Cuban Montecristo Tubos 1970s -- (5/10) guessed non-Cuban, Domincan or Honduran - Incorrect
#2 - non-Cuban Cabaiguan WCD 120 -- (9/10) guessed Cuban - Incorrect
#3 - non-Cuban Tatuaje Black Label -- (1/10) guessed non-Cuban, "a country not meant to be growing tobacco" - Correct!
#4 - Cuban H. Upmann Sir Winston -- (7/10) guessed non-Cuban, Dominican - Incorrect
#5 - Cuban Montecristo Reserva No.4 -- (8/10) guessed non-Cuban, Nicaraguan - Incorrect
#6 - non-Cuban Tatuaje Maravilla -- (9/10) guessed non-Cuban, Dominican - Correct!
#7 - non-Cuban Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label Delicias -- (6/10) guessed Cuban - Incorrect
#8 - Cuban Cohiba Seleccion Reserva Robusto -- (3/10) guessed non-Cuban, Nicaraguan - Incorrect

Score: Cigars 6, Fyodor 2

I read fyodor's post before Moki posted the reveal and thought to myself "what do you want to bet it's a cuban cigar?" LOL

This is great!

Doing a blind test requires too much energy
and as can be seen by this and other blind tests, too much "blind" searching is skewing taste and perception. Honestly, that's what I'm seeing happening here. Fyodor is working so
'hard establishing taste profile, he is, IMO, in effect, destroying his taste buds ???

Brian

I'm not sure I understand how blind taste testing can skew taste and perception? If anything, it'd be putting both back into line, because you're no longer influenced by the band, the "Cuban mystique", or any other preconceptions...?

I hope Fyodor will not mind, but a comment he sent to me via PM was this:

"I have to say I'm enjoying it but it will be nice to go back to knowing what to expect from a cigar before lighting it."

...which really is a very interesting and apropos comment. To me it underscores the idea that knowledge of what you're going to smoke alters your expectations, can influence the outcome of how much you enjoy the cigar or not. And this is comforting, to an extent.

But in the end, it's just a little reality check, and some enjoyable entertainment for all.

This is the point I was making in the post above Moki.

I do concur that it "will be putting both back in line" although it still takes away my perception. If the smoke costs more or comes from a particular country, my perception kicks in.

What I have got out of this blind test is that it's probably a good thing to blind test many cigars, looking for the marcas / vitolas that I enjoy and smoke only those OR, just carry on as I'm doing
now, enjoying my perception. Somehow I prefer the latter, is that strange? This is what I meant by a blind taste "skewing taste and perception in my post on top"

Excellent thread, thanks Moki.

Brian

I do concur that it "will be putting both back in line" although it still takes away my perception. If the smoke costs more or comes from a particular country, my perception kicks in.

What I have got out of this blind test is that it's probably a good thing to blind test many cigars, looking for the marcas / vitolas that I enjoy and smoke only those OR, just carry on as I'm doing
now, enjoying my perception. Somehow I prefer the latter, is that strange? This is what I meant by a blind taste "skewing taste and perception in my post on top"

Excellent thread, thanks Moki.

Brian

Nah, that's reasonable... I mean, if you enjoy a cigar because of what you think it is, or if you enjoy a cigar because of the taste, either way you enjoy it, right? So why spoil it.

I can understand that line of thinking. For me, though, I prefer to know why I like something. If I like it because of the band or where I think it is from, that seems almost like I'm tricking myself.

Still, if the enjoyment is real either way (but for different reasons)... whatever floats yer boat! :D

The interesting question this poses, though, is what is worth more, the band, or the tobacco? One could make an argument either way...