• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The great Fyodor blind taste test!

>> Anyone up for a little friendly betting on the amount he guesses correctly? <<

The only fair way to get that many involved would be a blind draw of the numbers. 11 people ( or spots ) and a drawing of the numbers. If you can get this together, I would be glad store the sticks and draw the numbers, with witnesses of course.

Seth

ah! a much better idea and thanks for the offer, thanks! I'd need at least 5 other people to get this rolling, anyone up for it?

I am in, Septumus!!!

edited to add: should this "side betting" get it's own thread so as not to thread-jack and crowd Fyodor's observations and Moki's feedback?

>> Anyone up for a little friendly betting on the amount he guesses correctly? <<

The only fair way to get that many involved would be a blind draw of the numbers. 11 people ( or spots ) and a drawing of the numbers. If you can get this together, I would be glad store the sticks and draw the numbers, with witnesses of course.

Seth

If you guys want to do that, I'm fine with it... but can you start another thread? I just want to keep this one focused...

Seth

If you guys want to do that, I'm fine with it... but can you start another thread? I just want to keep this one focused...

No problem moki!

Find the contest here:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=41866

Looks like we have touch-down!

Label/Receipt Number: 0306 2400 0000 6841 8688

Your item arrived at 3:43 AM on February 4, 2008 in CHICAGO, IL 60640. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I received my package from Moki today. Everything looks to be in order. I would like to thank Moki once again for his generosity and I am truly honored to be the guinea pig in this experiment. If there are no objections I will smoke the first one tomorrow after work, as long as I'm not held up which is a possibility, and give you my verdict.

-mark

I received my package from Moki today. Everything looks to be in order. I would like to thank Moki once again for his generosity and I am truly honored to be the guinea pig in this experiment. If there are no objections I will smoke the first one tomorrow after work, as long as I'm not held up which is a possibility, and give you my verdict.

-mark

Awesome, glad to hear they arrived okay. Let's get it on! :D

Cigar no. 1

O.K. this one is very easy. This is a mild cigar, Most likely Dominican, possibly Honduran. A lot of straight boring tobacco taste, a bit of a mineral taste with a tiny bit of wood and hay-like flavors. A medium finish. a very unassuming and simple cigar. My local shop has unbanded house cigars pretty much identical in taste to these. Anything over three dollars is too much. Doesn't taste too bad though, it's too mild for that, and I more or less enjoyed it (well not really). Gets some funky off notes toward the middle on (ammonia ?). I would give it a 5/10. It is DEFINITELY not Cuban. And if it is they must have tried their best to suck out all the typical flavor from this one.

Verdict- non-Cuban

I was so bored with this cigar I felt like going straight to no.2. Not that I'm ungrateful though.

-mark

What was the size on this one?
Wrapper color?
How was the pre-light aroma?

Sounds like it could be a flat Cohiba or Trini...
Or the flat ones I've had...

-Rob

What was the size on this one?
Wrapper color?
How was the pre-light aroma?

Sounds like it could be a flat Cohiba or Trini...
Or the flat ones I've had...

-Rob

As far as the size and color, I don't know. Moki said I wasn't aloud to pay attention to that. Prelight aroma was pretty weak, the bag it came in smelled a little nicaraguan but not the cigar?

Cigar no. 1

O.K. this one is very easy. This is a mild cigar, Most likely Dominican, possibly Honduran. A lot of straight boring tobacco taste, a bit of a mineral taste with a tiny bit of wood and hay-like flavors. A medium finish. a very unassuming and simple cigar. My local shop has unbanded house cigars pretty much identical in taste to these. Anything over three dollars is too much. Doesn't taste too bad though, it's too mild for that, and I more or less enjoyed it (well not really). Gets some funky off notes toward the middle on (ammonia ?). I would give it a 5/10. It is DEFINITELY not Cuban. And if it is they must have tried their best to suck out all the typical flavor from this one.

Verdict- non-Cuban

I was so bored with this cigar I felt like going straight to no.2. Not that I'm ungrateful though.

-mark

Cigar #1 results

Fyodor says:

Cigar rating: 5/10
Origin guess: Domincan or Honduran
Cuban/non-Cuban: non-Cuban

Survey says:

Actual origin: Cuba
Cigar #1 is a: Cuban Montecristo Tubos 1970s (6.10" x 42)

Commentary:

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the cigar... perhaps it is past its prime for you (though I found these to be pretty nice, but not exceptional), but it is most definitely Cuban. This cigar is actually one of a number of Cuban Montecristo Tubos from the 1970s that I obtained through a generous BOTL here on CP.

It's interesting to see what age does for these cigars; since you didn't like it, it's possible that many of the aged Cubans that Suckling reviews in his "Connoisseur's Corner" aren't for you... or it could just be a cigar that you don't particularly enjoy. Does say something about spending too much money on deeply aged cigars, though...

In any event, hopefully there are some other cigars in the blind taste test that you'll like! Shake it off, and onto the next one!

Results so far:

#1 - Cuban Montecristo Tubos 1970s -- (5/10) guessed non-Cuban, Domincan or Honduran - Incorrect

Score: Cigars 1, Fyodor 0

deffinately past it's prime. 38 years old? Come on. No wonder it taste so weak. Trick question cigar! :laugh:

-mark

As far as the size and color, I don't know. Moki said I wasn't aloud to pay attention to that. Prelight aroma was pretty weak, the bag it came in smelled a little nicaraguan but not the cigar?

Yep, you're doing it exactly right... no need to pay attention to anything other than the aroma/taste!

deffinately past it's prime. 38 years old? Come on. No wonder it taste so weak. Trick question cigar! :laugh:

-mark

Some people pay a LOT of money for cigars from the 1970s & 1980s... and believe it or not, stored well (and these have been), they can be quite flavorful and enjoyable. Check out the years that are often listed in Suckling's "Connoisseur's Corner" ;)

I did mention that there were some interesting cigars in there, and this is about country of origin, no? :)

BTW, the cigar isn't necessarily 38 years old... it's from the 1970's, so it could be anything from 29..38 years old.

Funny what they say about the price of something changing your views on the taste. I'm still smoking the cigar and now that you mention it, it's not all that bad. :laugh:

Funny what they say about the price of something changing your views on the taste. I'm still smoking the cigar and now that you mention it, it's not all that bad. :laugh:

haha! Yeah, might as well nub it now that you know how old and rare it is, eh? :D

I just spent several hours reading the other blind tests that Moki has referenced.

Extraordinarily illuminating and certainly make me question just exactly why I have chosen certain cigars.

I am sure that the results here will be equally interesting :thumbs: !

Thanks to Moki for sponsoring this test.

It is DEFINITELY not Cuban. And if it is they must have tried their best to suck out all the typical flavor from this one.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I have had one and thought it was a really interesting and flavorful mild cigar. Certainly did not taste like any contemporary Monte.