• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Groucho Experiment

Por Larranga Belicoso Extra

Box code EMA NOV 2008

Dry draw raisins

I had good expectations for this one, with the dry draw having strong hints of raisin. But sadly this cigar not only never went anywhere, It never had a starting point. Just a lack luster smoke that truly never showed anything in the flavor profile. Construction and burn were great, but absolutely no flavor profile whatsoever. I ended up dry boxing this one for 9 days, not being able to get to it as planned, so maybe that played a factor. I quit on this one about an hour in, because I was just wasting time. I hope this was just a one-off and I got a dud.

“Groucho: You know I think you're the most beautiful woman in the world?
Woman: Really?
Groucho: No, but I don't mind lying if it gets me somewhere.”
― Groucho Marx

6E4B1CB2-DAA9-4917-9BF3-18264770955C.jpeg

Por Larranga Belicoso Extra

Box code EMA NOV 2008

Dry draw raisins

I had good expectations for this one, with the dry draw having strong hints of raisin. But sadly this cigar not only never went anywhere, It never had a starting point. Just a lack luster smoke that truly never showed anything in the flavor profile. Construction and burn were great, but absolutely no flavor profile whatsoever. I ended up dry boxing this one for 9 days, not being able to get to it as planned, so maybe that played a factor. I quit on this one about an hour in, because I was just wasting time. I hope this was just a one-off and I got a dud.

“Groucho: You know I think you're the most beautiful woman in the world?
Woman: Really?
Groucho: No, but I don't mind lying if it gets me somewhere.”
― Groucho Marx

View attachment 68295
Double 👍👍 on the quote. Sorry the cigar could not compete with the woman

Bolivar Belicosos Finos - BBF

Box code SFV 2005

Where to begin, what an great cigar. Just a wonderful smoke! Construction was great, draw was perfect, burn was on point, with no relights or corrections needed. Just everything you want from a BBF, wood, cream, earth, a touch of leather, with a hint of spice. No need to go in to great detail about this one, it is Exceptional! I wish I had one foe everyone of the VHERF to smoke all together. @groucho898 18 years has been kind to this one, smoke'em.

Smoke time just under 2 hours

“If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”
― Groucho Marx

50B61D67-E4F3-436C-B9EE-C46C0B5A0B68.jpeg

Bolivar Belicosos Finos - BBF

Box code SFV 2005

Where to begin, what an great cigar. Just a wonderful smoke! Construction was great, draw was perfect, burn was on point, with no relights or corrections needed. Just everything you want from a BBF, wood, cream, earth, a touch of leather, with a hint of spice. No need to go in to great detail about this one, it is Exceptional! I wish I had one foe everyone of the VHERF to smoke all together. @groucho898 18 years has been kind to this one, smoke'em.

Smoke time just under 2 hours

“If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”
― Groucho Marx

View attachment 68328
Great cigar and great box code combines for a real treat...

Also, on the RA Extra, I had two boxes of those I ended up giving away, terrible blend.

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Especial EL 2004

Box code FJN FEB 2005

Dry boxed for 4 days

This cigar brought a blend of leather, earth, toasted nuts, with a citrus note that lingers on the tongue. There were hints of creaminess, but never went full on cream. The main flavor note that stuck from start to finish was leather. The retro brought a little cream and cedar. There was a slight bitterness to this cigar, but nothing that made it unpleasant. I feel like the Epicure #2 had bolder flavor profile than this one, but that is probably due to this one having 14 years more of aging. Only issue I had with this cigar was the EL band was literally stuck to the wrapper and while trying carefully remove the band, it tore the wrapper, which I thought might cause some issues, but it did not. This was a solid smoke, nothing that screams, give me more, but certainly an enjoyable experience.

Smoke time 1 hour 35 minutes

“Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough.”
― Groucho Marx

IMG_4046.jpeg
IMG_4048.jpeg

Montecristo #2

Box code ATE FEB 2018

Dry boxed for 2 days

Just a great example of what a Montecristo #2 should be! No need to go into great depth here, Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate!!!

Smoke time 1 hour 40 minutes

“Come on in girls, and leave all hope behind.”
― Groucho Marx
IMG_4077.jpeg

Partagas Piramides EL 2000

Box code REC DIC 2000

Dry boxed for 3 days

Looking over this cigar I notice right away that it is rolled very loosely. First half of the cigar is very spongy. I figured the draw was going to be loose, so I don't cut as much off the cap as I normally would. Draw is loose, but not bad, if I would have cut more of the cap I am sure the draw would be extremely loose and make it hard for me to smoke, I like a little tighter draw than overly loose. First inch or so is very tannic, bitter chocolate and coffee through the first third. Into the second third the profile opens up a bit and the tannins are less noticeable. Still getting bitter chocolate and coffee, but cedar is definitely coming into play. Final third is very woody with earth and leather, pepper on the retro. Cigar is burning hot and I have had to touch up the cigar multiple times and it is has tunneled from the second third on. Flavor profile was not bad, but the construction and burn issues on this one make it less than desirable.

Smoke time 1 hour 20 minutes

“When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
― Groucho Marx
IMG_4079.jpeg

Last edited:
Cohiba Coronas Especiales

Box code REG ENE 2018

Dry boxed for 4 days

Well this one was very smooth, nothing just jumped right out and said I am here. The profile was sophisticated. Started out with milk coffee, herbal spices. Then hay and cream entered the mix, with a faint hint of citrus. Then transitioned into toasted bread and earthiness. Towards the final inch I was picking up something nutty, but before I could make a decision on what it was, the cigar was done. Not a big smoke, but it had some big notes in it. I hope that the larger formats that are waiting for me, are as good as this one and I can enjoy for a longer time.

Smoke time just over an hour

“Humor is reason gone mad.”
― Groucho Marx

IMG_4096.jpeg

Ramon Allones Superiores

Box code ETP MAR 2017

Dry boxed for 5 days

I really enjoyed this one... First third was creamy and nutty, with a little hint of cinnamon. Second third brought toast, and nougat, with cedar on the retro. The third transitioned to cappuccino, baking spices and citrus with cedar still lingering on retro. Construction was great, had to make one touch up midway through the second. This cigar smoked like a chimney.

Smoke time 1 hour 45 minutes

“I intend to live forever, or die trying.”
― Groucho Marx

IMG_4109.jpeg
IMG_4112.jpeg

Ramon Allones Superiores

Box code ETP MAR 2017

Dry boxed for 5 days

I really enjoyed this one... First third was creamy and nutty, with a little hint of cinnamon. Second third brought toast, and nougat, with cedar on the retro. The third transitioned to cappuccino, baking spices and citrus with cedar still lingering on retro. Construction was great, had to make one touch up midway through the second. This cigar smoked like a chimney.

Smoke time 1 hour 45 minutes

“I intend to live forever, or die trying.”
― Groucho Marx

View attachment 68689
View attachment 68690
This freaking review made me hungry damnit. Excellent notes buddy

Cohiba Robusto CoRo

Box code ABO MAR 2018

First third the cigar is very subtle with hay, milk chocolate, and almond. Second third still getting hay/grass and sweet bread, almond, with a hint of oak on retro. The final third the cigar profile opened up a bit more and had moments of sweetness (honey)? Oak definitely is more prominent as I nub it. TBH, although this was a very nice smoke, but I expected more from it, If this was a $10-$20 cigar, I would say it would be great to give a friend that doesn't smoke a lot, with it being on the milder side, but we all know what these are going for. This cigar certainly isn't a dud of any sorts, but there have been other cigars in this series that have out performed it in the flavor category. Construction was superb, burn was excellent, smoke out put was great. But the overall complexity wasn't there for me. Maybe a few more years sitting and this one will become the cigar that it really should be?

Dry boxed for 4 days

Smoke time 1 hour and 40 minutes

“Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other 999 follow women.”
― Groucho Marx

IMG_4121.jpeg

RyJ Churchill Anejados

Box code USE OCT 2007

Dry draw is a little on the tight side, but not enough to try and do anything about it. Right off the bat I am getting a very silky smooth texture from this cigar with lots of smoke. I am getting a flavor profile in the first that is a little bit sweet almost like a sweet apple or almond, and fruit bread. Through the second, the cigar stays pretty consistent with the creamy almond note, but there is hint of a toffee note in the background, that I hope shows up more in the third. Finishing up the cigar never really changed profile but was silky smooth all the way to the end. I will admit I was expecting maybe a little more transitions, but the flavor that was there was really good.

Dry boxed for 7 days

Smoke time 1 hour 30 minutes

“Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?”
― Groucho Marx

IMG_4173.jpeg

These are all great, you are very professional without being over the top, speaking in my kind of terms.

I've never had a decent montie #2 ever, and only a handful of decent CoRos all from the same box. I just have bad luck with these two.

I wish I had the time to smoke all of these cigars but my life is filled with too many things out of my control. You have no idea how happy I am seeing these reviews, good or bad, it doesn't matter, as I am feeling "in touch" with my humidor. I can't explain better than that but I open my humidor every now and then and look inside and say, "I have no idea what any of these cigars are all about". Meaning if they are smoking well, how have they aged, etc...

Now I have insight and I feel like my humidor is a friend, not a stranger. Thank you TT

These are all great, you are very professional without being over the top, speaking in my kind of terms.

I've never had a decent montie #2 ever, and only a handful of decent CoRos all from the same box. I just have bad luck with these two.

I wish I had the time to smoke all of these cigars but my life is filled with too many things out of my control. You have no idea how happy I am seeing these reviews, good or bad, it doesn't matter, as I am feeling "in touch" with my humidor. I can't explain better than that but I open my humidor every now and then and look inside and say, "I have no idea what any of these cigars are all about". Meaning if they are smoking well, how have they aged, etc...

Now I have insight and I feel like my humidor is a friend, not a stranger. Thank you TT
I still have a few more, that I am looking forward to reviewing. Thanks again for this awesome experience!!!

Cohiba Sublime

Box code CLP DIC 2004

Dry boxed 7 days

Dry draw I’m picking up some earthiness and roasted coffee bean. First third brings coffee, cocoa with roasted coffee bean. The cigar has aged beautifully with no harshness at all. It had just a touch of red pepper on the retro. The second third started to reveal more of that earthiness, grassy and wood. Balanced with the coffee and rich cocoa flavors. As I neared the end of the second third it was still more on the sweeter side. As I started the final third of the cigar I continued to get flavors with a lot of depth. Chocolate, coffee, sweet earthiness, and oak, the flavors were always pleasant with no bitterness. I really enjoyed this one! It was a perfect CC!

Smoke time 2 hours

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

IMG_4206.jpeg

Quai D'Orsay Senadores EL 2019

Box code TUA DIC 2020

Dry boxed 4 days

WOW!!! So if you have followed this series, then you know I have smoked some pretty amazing cigars, but I will dare to say, this one might have been the best of them all. Just an outstanding cigar! Man I would love to have a box of these, for those of you that do, consider yourself lucky. Just so well balanced from start to finish. Notes of caramel, toast, honey, lemon grass. If I had another, I would probably smoke it right now back to back... It tried to creep past medium body, but not by much. Smoke output was good. Draw was on the tighter side, which I like. construction and burn were both great, one touch up. Did I say this was a phenomenal cigar...

Smoke time 2 hours

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
― Groucho Marx

IMG_4213.jpeg