• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Howard House Herf

smoke76

Gentlemen,

A few of us have started a little get together at the Elkton, MD Howard House that I would like to extend an invitation to all whom wish to hang out and share thier love of this fine way of life. Every third wensday of the month we gather at the Howard House Restaurant and Bar. Its one of the few places cigars are welcome in the area. This month we had 14 herfers and hopfully next month more. So if you are in the area stop by. We usually show around sevenish. If you need directions drop me a message.

Ski

So the next one is December 20th?

Wow, 14!

Sorry to have missed it this time. I'll hope to be healthy and ready to rock in December.

Wilkey

And my truck is now fixed, so I should be there. :) Steve still has my ESG's :sign:

Yes, Dan, I have yet to smoke an ESG. I enjoyed myself at the Howard House and it was good to meet all the new herfers at the former "Delaware Casual Herf" now "Howard House Casual Herf", I guess. The "other Dan" and I exchanged oddly similar smokes, a Graycliff Espresso for a Torano Virtuoso Maestro. Both cocoa and coffee type profiles. The Graycliff has more complexity but the Torano intensifies nicely over it's churchill length.

Dan brought a newb named Jason with him who has just bought his first humi and was waiting on his beads. Sounds like Dan taught him well and Jason listened.
I gave Jason a CAO Brazilia Gol! as a welcome gift.

The only negative was the Elkton cop who followed me to the city limits when I left. We need to get some Elkton police in on this! As a cop once told me after pulling me over for making three left turns, "Hey, nobody likes the man behind him." I used to drink at a local tavern where the local cops drank and there was much less chance of "problems" when you throw darts with the chief of police!

I thought it was every third Wed. - not the third Wed. of every month. It doesn't matter which as long as we're on the same page. Hope to see you all again and many more new faces, too.

Steve

I think the week of the 20th will be pretty busy for everyone, so we may need to move it up a week. Whatcha think?

Hey now,

The Delaware Casual Herf is held at Deer Park on their upper deck and is the ticket during the warm months. The Howard House Casual Herf is good year round but damn good in the chilly months. :p I'm looking forward to my ESG as well.

I'm with Dan, let's move it up a week in December.

Wilkey

It's hard to say. Two questions:
Can all the people from the various boards be notified?
How will this impact my 50th birthday(or vice versa)?

Whooooooaaaa. When's your birthday? We might have to include a B-Day paddling in the revelries. ;)

Wilkey

Post here and on City, should be fine.

Soooooo, we sharin' your ESG's and B-Day cake or what?? ???

50 candles on a cupcake and all the cigar smoke might set off the sprinklers :laugh:

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
3 Members: Mr_Wolf, vortex, Ginseng

Hi guys! :p Somebody post something :laugh:

I must confess to more than the usual confusion no doubt brought on by advancing years. Are we talking the already moved up 20th or moving it up another week? smoke76, I hope you're happy now that you've got an old man's Depends all in a bunch!

Perhaps going back to the old schedule of every three weeks is better? The weeks both before and during the holidays may be difficult for many people. Then again, third Wed of every month is much easier to compute than every third Wed! ;)

All you kinky people can leave your kinkiness at home please! Paddling! The idea! For a dignified man of my years and a cigar smoker, no less!!! :D

All you kinky people can leave your kinkiness at home please! Paddling! The idea! For a dignified man of my years and a cigar smoker, no less!!! :D
Well, I suppose we could go with the fallback plan of wedgies. Hey, you're the birthday boy...you decide. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wilkey

Well, I suppose we could go with the fallback plan of wedgies. Hey, you're the birthday boy...you decide. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wilkey

Wedgey my Depends and you'll have wet feet! :D

Wilkey and I have talked about the idea of splitting the herf into two groups because of potential friction with the Howard House now that we've grown so large. All it takes is a couple of complaints to create the perception of a problem.

Fourteen people smoking cigars creates quite a bit of smoke. So far we've been fortunate that it's been slow on the nights we've had them. Also, there seems to be a trend toward growth. Whether that continues, who knows.

But there may actually be other advantages besides not straining our relationship with HH. People who find one night difficult might make the next one. There is more chance of a herf occurring when visitors are in town from this forum or others. Who knows what else; but, it increases possibilities having two, smaller herfs per month.

Other reasons aside, this is the only venue we have, at this time, that can accommodate several smokers. If we could find another place that would be great, too. But why risk this one when it would be easy to avoid. I don't think this is urgent. But perhaps we should consider it for some time in the near future. At the next one we could ask everyone about preferences. Or just wing it and start the other one and see what happens.

What do you think?

Preserving the relationship should be the main concern. I represent the growth you suggest. I look forward to meeting you, Wilkey, Mr. Wolf among others. I'm interested in making your acquaintance, but remaining in HH's good graces is important.

The holidays are upon us, but I have built up some equity with the wife and reckon that I could break away for the next herf with you fine gentlemen.

I exchanged several PM's with Wilkey regarding the last herf, but work called at the last second and I was unable to leave Baltimore until 8pm.

Should the HH herfers wish to head to Baltimore one night, there are several cigar friendly establishments that would welcome us with open arms. If it makes sense, I might gauge interest and put a Baltimore herf together in the new year.

Preserving the relationship should be the main concern. I represent the growth you suggest. I look forward to meeting you, Wilkey, Mr. Wolf among others. I'm interested in making your acquaintance, but remaining in HH's good graces is important.

The holidays are upon us, but I have built up some equity with the wife and reckon that I could break away for the next herf with you fine gentlemen.

I exchanged several PM's with Wilkey regarding the last herf, but work called at the last second and I was unable to leave Baltimore until 8pm.

Should the HH herfers wish to head to Baltimore one night, there are several cigar friendly establishments that would welcome us with open arms. If it makes sense, I might gauge interest and put a Baltimore herf together in the new year.
Interesting idea! I'm intrigued by new environments and people. I bet there are some good B&Ms around Baltimore, too. So were you thinking of coming to HH after the holidays or what?

The more I think about it the better it sounds. The only problem is the one you face when you make the trek here - the long haul back. But being welcomed instead of tolerated and meeting new people in new places would be cool. Maybe this could be a partial solution to the growth situation. Do one month at HH and the next in Baltimore? At least, those that are willing and able could make the trek. HHMMM

Steve

Get with Ludwig for a Baltimore herf. He put the last one together.

Interesting idea! I'm intrigued by new environments and people. I bet there are some good B&Ms around Baltimore, too. So were you thinking of coming to HH after the holidays or what?

The more I think about it the better it sounds. The only problem is the one you face when you make the trek here - the long haul back. But being welcomed instead of tolerated and meeting new people in new places would be cool. Maybe this could be a partial solution to the growth situation. Do one month at HH and the next in Baltimore? At least, those that are willing and able could make the trek. HHMMM

Steve

Steve-

Yes, I would head to HH one day next week. If you or any other HH regulars "get the itch" to herf, I'd gladly join you.

As for Baltimore, our options are:

1) Havana Club (http://www.havanaclub-baltimore.com/) - owned by Steve DeCastro, a very successful restauranteur in and around Baltimore.

2) Edgar's Billiards (http://www.edgarsclub.com/) - a nice bar/restaurant with billiards.

3) Ropewalk (http://www.ropewalktavern.com/Ropewalk.htm) - a nice bar/restaurant in historic Federal Hill.

4) Gecko's (http://www.geckosonline.com/NewSite/index.html) - a southwestern bar/restaurant in historic Canton.

I would have to coordinate with the owners/managers of numbers 3 or 4 if we decide to herf at either of those locations. They are smaller, row-home style restaurants.

I'd be more than happy to set up a Baltimore-based HERF in the new year.

Let me know your thoughts.

P.S. I vote for Havana Club. :)

EDIT: Hopefully Ludwig will chime in with his experience(s) with Ropewalk.

Mr. Wolf-

Prior to seeing your post I added the EDIT to mine. Doh!

I'll touch base with Ludwig. We discussed his herfs at Ropewalk.

I can eat and drink at Ropewalk for the price of coffee at the Havana Club.