• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Other Half

My girlfriend hates my cigar smoking mostly because of the smell, and by the same token I am not enamored with her cooking mostly because of the smell.

As far as the health issues I couldn't get past the section in the article about addiction where they were trying to equate cigarette addiction to cigars. As someone who kicked a 2-3 pack a day addiction to cigarettes they are not even in the same ballpark. I would say cigar smoking 'addiction' is about the same level as a chocolate addiction.

I have no doubt that what they say regarding increased rates of mouth, throat, and even lung cancers are true, but what I've not seen is what are the actual rates. My intuition is that if people with an agenda (such as those who wrote the article) published the actual rates that their alarmist arguments wouldn't be very alarming. If, for example, 0.001% of the general population develops some type of mouth cancer, but 0.0015% of cigar smokers develop mouth cancer, the difference is 50%, but hardly alarming.

Sorry I've seemed to digressed. Maybe if you put this article on her laptop it might help: http://cigars.about....s/a/0061003.htm

Your thoughts are in line with mine. I'm limiting myself to every other day at the moment, and it seems to be helping. It also helps me enjoy a cigar that much more, so it's not that bad of an idea. It's a real treat when I pull up a chair, watch cigar reviews on my laptop or crack open a novel, and just relax with a good cigar. I'll put that article up for her. Even the cancer.org article said that the results were from regular smokers (every day).

I have a buddy who lives in Maui btw who went to his doctor for a check up. The doc asked if he smoked. He said he smoked cigars. The doc asked why. He replied that he likes to have one in the evening to unwind and relax after a long day. The doc asked if his job was stressful. He replied yes. The doc said keep smoking! He said that any ill effects from cigar smoking far outweighs the ill effects of stress, hypertension, etc. :)

...He said that any ill effects from cigar smoking far outweighs the ill effects of stress, hypertension, etc. :)

That's the same thing my doctor has told me. Stress does more damage to a person's health than just about anything else (outside of obvious abuse).

My wife has never been "happy" with my smoking cigars or pipes, but she knows it's a damn sight better than the cigarettes I put down 13 years ago. Besides, she dragged me up to this God forsaken hell hole. She owes me...

:sign:

A wise man once told me, if it Flies, Floats or F*cks it's cheaper to rent it... When the one I have doesn't like my hobby, I return them for the new model! :whistling:

My $0.02

WKOTI

Hey! Aren't you like 19 or 20? Come back and give me that line in fifteen years if you've still managed to live by it. :sign:

Guess I'm lucky considering my wife is in the health-care field. She's always been very supportive of my passion, even on the rare occasion when I smoke 10-15 cigars in a week.

I'm here for a good time, not a long time. If I get the long time, then I guess it's an added bonus.

My wife is a cigarette smoker. She's never been able to fully kick the habit except for when she was pregnant. She does not give me grief about smoking cigars much. For her it is a time issue. It might be time spent at home she say, but not time spent with her. I just point out that I may go out for an hour straight, but she goes our for 10 minutes at a time about 10 times a day.

...He said that any ill effects from cigar smoking far outweighs the ill effects of stress, hypertension, etc. :)

That's the same thing my doctor has told me. Stress does more damage to a person's health than just about anything else (outside of obvious abuse).

I should tell my wife about this! It's the doctor's order. :)

My wife doesn't really mind my smoking cigars, she just doesn't want to be around it. She's never smoked, and is not a big fan of smoking. Her grandfather smoked cigarettes, and died from lung cancer. Her parents both smoke cigarettes fairly heavily and she grew up in that environment. When I smoke cigars, it's down at the B&M in the winter, or outside on the deck or at a buddy's place. I just make sure to brush my teeth as soon as I can afterward, wash my hands and face to get rid of as much of the "stink" as I can. If I'm out and can't brush my teeth, chewing a piece of gum is the next best thing.

Just the other night, the wife was playing around with some new design software she got for her birthday and my son was sleeping so I decided do go for a walk with my iPod. Took a cigar with me and had a nice relaxing time. Worked out nicely for the both of us.

My wife smokes, but still gives me shit if I smoke a cigar on the balcony and leave the door open to watch TV.

I told (tell) her, "You smoked for over 15 years IN THE APARTMENT before finally seeing the light and only smoking outside and I never said a word, so shut the hell up."

She mumbles and usually calls me an asshole but thats OK.

*edit* I do however, plan on buying a small set of wireless speakers for the TV in the near future to stop the arguement.

My wife doesn't mind it. She let me a build a mancave so I could smoke in the house. We'll occasionally go on walks at night and I'll have a cigar.

She's a keeper, and for reasons that far outweigh her tolerance of cigars.

My wife meet the substitute mailman today and she made her sign for an overseas package of what she called cigarettes. She then proceeded to give her a lecture on how it's illegal to mail cigarettes. It's probably a good thing she meet her because I probably would have fired off some smart ass response to her and then she would have reported me for ordering illegal products. I usually will talk to our regular mailman and offer him a cigar every once in a while. He's no ball of fire, but he treats me good and never gives me any grief when an overseas package shows up. He'll usually leave them for me if nobody's home saving me a trip to the post office. He must know what's in there, but I guess he's just grumpy and doesn't care.

My point in that story is I get more grief from my mailman than I do from my wife about my purchases.

Personally, I don't smoke many cigars. Simply a matter of the true time involved and in the winter I'm not standing outside since we both don't want our house smelling like a cigar bar (not that it's bad but I think we can reason here). She and her parents are fairly ok even with her mother being a nurse. Generally my philosophy has been less but use the better stuff. Every once in a while I may have a couple on the weekend but I always try to plan it so that shes away at work or busy so it doesn't appear to cut into our time. Another big thing is the breath which I just mouthwash/brush and refrain from any kissing until that is covered. She tells me she doesn't mind the scent of a good cigar (burning) but cigarettes disgust her which doesn't bother me.

Work to compromise if shes a person you want to keep around and playing it by take'n a slow down for a period is a sound thought.