• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Other Half

investandprosper

I smoked a Cohiba Robusto last night around 8pm, finished around 10pm while reading a book in the garage. When I came upstairs, my wife had left an article on cancer.org up on my MacBook Pro about the dangers of cigar smoking. Even though I have life insurance and health insurance, she still wants to keep me around :p

That Cohiba Robusto was smoking very well for a Feb '10. The smoke was sweet with lots of vanilla and chocolate. Couldn't get much better in my opinion, the first draw was a wave of vanilla, it caught me off guard and I was surprised the taste was so distinct. The ash didn't fall off until it was at the 1/2 way point, and the burn was razor sharp. It will be hard to let them age.

I may have to cut back to smoking only on poker nights or special occasions to keep peace in the home. My wife's grandfather passed away when she was very young from lung cancer (he occasionally smoked cigars), and she's very mad at him for missing out on so much. She is pretty pissed at me for taking up the hobby. Understandable.

My wife is fine with me collecting, but she doesn't want me to smoke often at all. The cancer.org article was a study on regular cigar smokers, at least one a day. I smoke maybe 3 a week at most, but that argument would fall flat. So, how do some of you with wives keep the peace? ???

I know my wife didn't mind the cigar thing when I was dating her...she was great about it and actually bought me a cabinet humi for xmas. Now that we're married and have a daughter she gives me grief about it. I just sat her down and told her it was something I enjoyed and that I intended to continue- she could be mad if she wanted to, or she could be happy that I found something that gives me so much pleasure that isn't another woman.
wink.gif
She chose the latter and will only give me a hard time if she thinks I've smoked too many in a week...which rarely happens since I have a crazy work schedule and a near 3 yr old. LOL. Good luck to you! Cheers, Rob

Live life for what it is... LIFE...

It's not a science experiment... It's meant to be enjoyed, not constantly bothered about the next evil that will eventually kill us all...

+1 for what lurch said. My wife isn't a huge fan of my cigar smoking but she doesn't give me grief about it because she knows it is something I enjoy doing. I smoke about 1-2 per week and she doesn't complain. I'm sure if I were smoking multiples a day she would mention something but I think the situation really is different for each couple. It may be something that you just have to sit down and have a discussion about. It makes sense that she would have a distaste for it seeing as someone close to her died from lung cancer and she doesnt want to see the same happen to you. You just have to figure out what works for the two of you. Good luck!

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. I may have just resumed my cigar passion at a sensitive time. My grandfather passed from lung cancer (he smoked cigars a long time ago) a few years back, and my father is currently battling a brain tumor. She may just be sensitive. For my birthday she bought me a 3-pack of Sees chocolate cigars (just cigar shaped chocolate). She said I could smoke those, and they have strong chocolate notes throughout. At least she has a sense of humor! :laugh:

I think if I slow down for now, maybe a couple a month, she would feel better about it. This is the article she left on my screen: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ped/content/ped_10_2x_cigar_smoking.asp

That Cohiba Robusto tasted a lot like the Opus X XxX (Power Ranger) without the bitterness the Opus left on the roof of my mouth. The smoke was undoubtedly sweet. A couple of those per month and I don't think I can complain.... much :love:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Why would you do this? I was looking for constructive support as to how other married CPers handle the cigar-hating wife situation. This isn't a BS thread.

That is how I handle it, I am sorry if you don't understand.

Was my question on the unpublished list of taboo topics or something?

If so, it could have been pointed out with more taste and class.

Very well, carry on.

Not really sure what that all meant either.. IP's just seeking advice from folks who may have already had to jump these hurdles.

Was my question on the unpublished list of taboo topics or something?

If so, it could have been pointed out with more taste and class.

Very well, carry on.
I'm still not sure how you got upset about it. Hell I have read it 4 times and still don't get it.....

Does she have a computer? Next time she wants to order out for dinner, open up a page on Food Network, and leave it next to her shoes so she sees it.

If that doesn't work, ask her to read the articles she's leaving for you. Ask her to check the sources. And as soon as she comes to the part of the research where they discuss smoking premium, long filler cigars, then you'll read it. Save the research short filler, chemical dipped crap for when you're looking to fall asleep.

Not a chance of me stopping cigars due to a person telling me to stop. There is usually something they do, that is considered excessive, dangerous, etc. Even speeding is one that most hypocrites fail to consider.
Too old to put up with that bull.

Look on the bright side, you could have gotten the response Frank did when he asked

Link

No worries, gents. Thanks to those who posted helpful ideas on this delicate subject. Let it end here.

No worries, gents. Thanks to those who posted helpful ideas on this delicate subject. Let it end here.

First of all, newb once you start a thread, you don't get to end it. It takes on a life of it's own.
My sister-in-law died of lung cancer a couple years ago. She was in her mid forties. Never, ever, smoked a day in her life. In April Alejandro Robaina died of cancer. He started smoking cigars at the age of ten. I understand he smoked more than five a day. He was 91.

Doc.

Doc,

Thank you for stepping in here. About ending the thread, I realized that. It's the reason I said "Let it end here" instead of "This thread is closed". It was a request to let the issue rest.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. Thank you for those examples.