• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Padron Legacy

mjolnir01 said:
I have no idea what the European markets look like. I know they have access to everything, but if you walk into your local, what's the breakdown like inside, as far as non-Cuban brands go?

Of course it depends shop to shop, but in my 3 years in the UK, most good cigar shops carried Habanos S.A. stuff as aquired through Hunters & Frankau.  J.J. Fox in London also carried Fuente, GoF, Padron and Oliva--all prohibitively priced due to the taxes.  Davidoff of London obviously also carried Davidoff and their associated brands like Avo and The Griffins.
Barry, what is the reputation of the better NCs like in Europe?

Ah, so it could change for the better for Padron?  I can understand that approach.  I was thinking you meant that it would be a negative impact for Padron in the European market if/when the embargo is lifted.

emoshun said:
I truly hope that it doesn't change in the next 10-20 years as the younger Padróns come up in the company.

I dont think they will. I've seen an interview with the son and his passion and attention to quality is on par with the father. I believe that this had been taught to the family from a very young age.  I just wish Cuba had the same approach.

kann said:
Ah, so it could change for the better for Padron?  I can understand that approach.  I was thinking you meant that it would be a negative impact for Padron in the European market if/when the embargo is lifted.

Yeah, that's how I took him to mean it. Definitely not a negative thing.

Juanote said:

I have no idea what the European markets look like. I know they have access to everything, but if you walk into your local, what's the breakdown like inside, as far as non-Cuban brands go?

Of course it depends shop to shop, but in my 3 years in the UK, most good cigar shops carried Habanos S.A. stuff as aquired through Hunters & Frankau.  J.J. Fox in London also carried Fuente, GoF, Padron and Oliva--all prohibitively priced due to the taxes.  Davidoff of London obviously also carried Davidoff and their associated brands like Avo and The Griffins.

Barry, what is the reputation of the better NCs like in Europe?

So-so, but on the up-tick I think.  There is certainly an old-guard that scoffs at anything non-Cuban, but there is a growing group of smokers willing to give the smokes a try.  Fuente, Oliva and Padron all seem to have found a pretty good niche.  Davidoff has hard-won built-in European credibility. 

Also, don't forget the European Cigar Cult Journal chose Dion to make their 15th Anniversary cigar, which became the Illusione Epernay.  By all accounts, the ECCJ 15th was as well received in Europe as it was in our circles.

I really wish DeanoUK still posted here, but since he's started his own UK cigar forum he doesn't seem to drop by much these days.

Light this! said:

I truly hope that it doesn't change in the next 10-20 years as the younger Padróns come up in the company.

I dont think they will. I've seen an interview with the son and his passion and attention to quality is on par with the father. I believe that this had been taught to the family from a very young age.  I just wish Cuba had the same approach.

I've met Jorge and he was humble enough to sit through dinner with a bunch of drunk pricks from CP and stick around for a cigar after we were done eating.  He even sat next to the only CP'er that hates Padron.