• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The parents brought me home fakes

2K6TBSS

They are the Cohiba "Limited Edition 2009" 5 pack with the glass top. I don't have the heart to tell them that they are fakes, so I will just have to let them "age" in my humidor for a while and "pretend" to smoke them.

But, it's the thought that counts! My parents were cool enough to think of me during their vacation and take the time to buy something for me...

On a positive note, I will now be able to see what a fake tastes like, as the only ISOMs I have had were from members here.

I suppose you must satisfy your curiosity, but you have more guts than me.

Fakes? But they are limited editiion and come in a cool glass top box...

I wouldn't let them near my humidor. Too much risk that tobacco beetles will crawl out and chow down on your good sticks.

Fakes have beetle issues far more often than the real item, due to the way the tobacco is stored and handled.

Edited to add: I completely agree; it's the thought that counts.....:cool:

I've had a few co workers bring me back genuine fakes (the guy's brother steals them from the factory, blah blah blah). The first thing I do is sacrifice one and cut it open to see what I'm dealing with. Some have been nothing more than floor sweepings and hair, others seem to have been well constructed. I tossed the former and kept the later. Froze them and tossed them back in the humi. I have them tagged as fakes but some have smoked and tasted just fine.

I wouldn't let them near my humidor. Too much risk that tobacco beetles will crawl out and chow down on your good sticks.

Fakes have beetle issues far more often than the real item, due to the way the tobacco is stored and handled.

Edited to add: I completely agree; it's the thought that counts.....:cool:

I didn't think about the bugs. I will have to look at freezing them to kill any bugs that might be there.

I've had a few co workers bring me back genuine fakes (the guy's brother steals them from the factory, blah blah blah). The first thing I do is sacrifice one and cut it open to see what I'm dealing with. Some have been nothing more than floor sweepings and hair, others seem to have been well constructed. I tossed the former and kept the later. Froze them and tossed them back in the humi. I have them tagged as fakes but some have smoked and tasted just fine.

Good idea.

did they look somewhat like this? These were a gift from a dear aunt and uncle who went to Mexico.
129.jpg

And cello too! What a steal! :p

Best of luck with the haul.

I dissected a fake Esplendido that a buddy of mine brought back and not only was it the shittiest looking cigarette tobacco-like crap but it also had a nice long blond hair in the filler. :0

Next trip they take they could buy you a 25 count box and get really taken for a ride. Truth hurts sometimes but it will save them money next time. Think about it. Would you honestly want to see them drop $500 on cigars that is fake? Hell, this would be a great opportunity to educate them in the cigar world. :thumbs:

Next trip they take they could buy you a 25 count box and get really taken for a ride. Truth hurts sometimes but it will save them money next time. Think about it. Would you honestly want to see them drop $500 on cigars that is fake? Hell, this would be a great opportunity to educate them in the cigar world. :thumbs:

You make a valid point. Making them aware of the fakes would ensure that they don't buy them in the future and waste more of their money.

Classic Thats the same one my sister brought to me. Thats part of the reason I join this community.

Its the thought that counts

Classic Thats the same one my sister brought to me. Thats part of the reason I join this community.

Its the thought that counts

Its beyond the point of the thought that counts. His parents bought them as a gift. He could be honest with them and tell them the bad news. Or he could lie to them and
watch Karma bite him in the arse. He could say they was good which will invite them to buy more while on a trip. Or he could lie and say they wasn't good at all. Either way,
his parents could still purchase more and this time, it could be a box or two. Which we are talking a considerable chunk of cash. As money does not grow on trees, many
people I know can't afford to throw away money on fake cigars.

Its better to sit down and break the bad news. Then offer to teach them about what to look for. In case on their next trip they actually have the opportunity to purchase the
real deal. I've never had fakes given to me as a gift. My family knows its better to let me purchase my own cigars. :laugh:

When my parents went on a Caribbean cruise a little while back my mom asked me if i wanted here to pick me up some cigars. i said no thanks there are to many fakes and it is not worth it just pick me up a bottle of blue label.

I am going to Mexico in August I hope to find some fakes cuz I want the glasstop box. I think it will funny to have.

I dissected a fake Esplendido that a buddy of mine brought back and not only was it the shittiest looking cigarette tobacco-like crap but it also had a nice long blond hair in the filler. :0

At least it wasn't pubes, sucks to smoke pubes.

At least it wasn't pubes, sucks to smoke pubes.

I'm hoping you're speaking from imagining what it would be like, and not have actually smoked pubes. Reminds me of a few lines from Happy Gilmore...
"I eat pieces of sh*t like you for breakfast!"
"You eat sh*t for breakfast?"
"No!"

:)

If anybody wants fake Cohibas, I can provide an unlimited supply. They're available by the mazzo here in Iraq for five to seven dollars per cigar. TONS of the limited edition 2009's available though none of the glass tops.