• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The real Jon Caputo and Daniel Lopez

Wow. What an unexpected turn of events in the cigar community. I too am grateful to Rod for not selling this wonderful site, as I fear what kind of changes might have taken place for better or worse, but in light of the recent turmoil, the latter seemed more likely. Of course that is not to say sometimes we haven't overstepped our bounds in protecting the interests and agendas of our benefactors.

It's very easy to get so emotionally charged up about something important to us, especially if we feel any form of hostility, so perhaps we need to take a step back, get a little fresh air, maybe have a smoke before getting caught up in some overzealous finger pointing, especially amongst ourselves.

Post 284 / poriggity wrote:

Daniel,
Thanks for all that you have done for this place, and how well you ran it. Everything was seamless and smooth under your ownership, so thank you for all you did.

Jon,
I will hold off on my congratulations until I see where this place heads in the near future. I hope it will remain the same, but for some reason I have my doubts, and I think its all about to change DRASTICALLY. I do have one question for you.. Answer it, or don't, its your call.

Why did you need to buy up SOOO many cigar forums/websites in order to further promote your "hobby" of cigar smoking? Is one not enough?
Scott[
/quote]

Hmmmm, poriggity just went up ten notches in my book! :thumbs: Good job Scott, maybe I was wrong about you, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. If you're lucky, you'll get banned from Lopez's site and I will welcome you here! :thumbs:

while we're quoting what folks said.. here's my post on cigarlive from before the time where I was associated with the dealings of Stogie on CL.

http://www.cigarlive.com/forum/showpost.ph...p;postcount=237

Reviews by Turk10mm
Awards Showcase
Pass Participant Cigar Bomb Recipient
Total Awards: 2
Real First Name: Tony

3 Days Ago
Not that my $.02 makes a difference, considering I don't post much anymore. But the only reason Jon bought all these sites is to make money. He didn't do it out of the goodness of his heart or to bring the Cigar community closer.

Anyone who doesn't believe that needs another cigar on the porch.

Good luck folks. Glad you made some coin Stogie, but I'd wash my hands with it if I was you.

Since Jon is such a cigar fan, how come he's never posted on any of the forums he's purchased previously?
Last edited by Turk10mm; 3 Days Ago at 01:37 PM.

Turk, there is no shortage of idiots sycophants, or leg humpers. Those members of the vanquished boards who feel that this will be good for them are stupid, or delusional. Those owners who sold, sold out. Rod didn't because he's not stupid and couldn't reconcile what the sale of CP would do to his friends and Brothers.

When Caputo posted this about Rod, he lost any chance for respect from me.
He is sour grapes. He came to ME and wanted ME to buy his site. I told him not interested. So now he is running around posting that stuff everywhere and trying to play it off as if he is a shining star.

I expect quite a bit from Caputo, none of it good.

I don't frequent any of the forums that have been bought, but those of you who do, has Cavuto had any response to Rod's proof of Cavuto's lies? Or if they have been brought to attention, would those posts simply get deleted?

I don't frequent any of the forums that have been bought, but those of you who do, has Cavuto had any response to Rod's proof of Cavuto's lies? Or if they have been brought to attention, would those posts simply get deleted?

C'mon Moe! Sure, Caputo is going to issue "Yeah, sorry about that. I was actually lying. My bad"

C'mon Moe! Sure, Caputo is going to issue "Yeah, sorry about that. I was actually lying. My bad"

Sorry, just me being an eternal optimist. Now, back to reality....

I read somewhere that Caputo stated that I fabricated those emails. He's not going to respond; I emailed him the other night inviting him to CP to respond. He won't. He won't even respond to my emails. He's a liar, and is looking to USE the cigar community to make money. He's not going to own "puff.com" for long, I'm sure he will get it setup and then flip it to some marketing agency. The guy is in it for the money. My understanding is that puff.com was selling for $75,000 back in Feb. Caputo has a major investment in this whole thing. He has no idea that cigar communities are not your typical online forum. He'll learn the hard way.

I read somewhere that Caputo stated that I fabricated those emails. He's not going to respond; I emailed him the other night inviting him to CP to respond. He won't. He won't even respond to my emails. He's a liar, and is looking to USE the cigar community to make money. He's not going to own "puff.com" for long, I'm sure he will get it setup and then flip it to some marketing agency. The guy is in it for the money. My understanding is that puff.com was selling for $75,000 back in Feb. Caputo has a major investment in this whole thing. He has no idea that cigar communities are not your typical online forum. He'll learn the hard way.

Rod, Mr. Caputo has a big credibility issue right now. Between lying about you and telling people their cigar forums won't change much. I think everyone can see for themselves this gentleman made a gamble that will be hard to cash in on.

Rod

I really do hope that he falls flat on his face solely for fabricating the lies against you and not having the balls to stand up to what has been said.

Sam

Rod

I really do hope that he falls flat on his face solely for fabricating the lies against you and not having the balls to stand up to what has been said.

Sam

If this is a cash flow investment, it only needs to falter a little bit to take a bath. More likely, its a fix and flip. For that, he only needs a gullible investor.

I really wish we could fast forward 6-12 months to see what comes of all of this. This is worse than trying to watch your favorite show during the actual season, and having to wait a week to find out what happened on Lost!

Can I just ignore this entire debacle, then buy the complete season on DVD and catch up on 6 months worth of drama in a week? :laugh:

Well this is one mess I dodged!

Jon asked if I'd be interested in my site and for the hell of it I thought I'd see what he'd offer. Never got around to sending him my stats and what I wanted for it because deep down I knew I couldn't bring myself to sell it.

Yeah I make money off my site, but not more than enough to pay for my cigar habit. :D Really my site is about what I enjoy and this is cigars, drinks, writing and being around cigar smokers. I sure Rod feels much the same way about this site that I do mine.

Well this is one mess I dodged!

Jon asked if I'd be interested in my site and for the hell of it I thought I'd see what he'd offer. Never got around to sending him my stats and what I wanted for it because deep down I knew I couldn't bring myself to sell it.

Yeah I make money off my site, but not more than enough to pay for my cigar habit. :D Really my site is about what I enjoy and this is cigars, drinks, writing and being around cigar smokers. I sure Rod feels much the same way about this site that I do mine.

You should have fodder for a piece or two, eh Jack?

and out come all the members with membership dates of '04, '05, '06, with a total of 10-25 posts acting like they have a say in what's going on HERE.

some of us understand what "Read more, post less" means.

It means if you don't have anything of value to add, stfu.

Try it, it would have worked well in your case.
awww, I guess since you said it, I need to go sit in the corner and stop posting huh? :rolleyes: .What I meant with that statement was that we were probably going to see quite a few members that call these other sites home come in and start posting their thoughts on the matter in defense of what was going on. It wasn't directed at you guys who see a statement like I made and take offense at it just because you've been here longer than me and aren't the obvious postwhore I am. It seems like y'all all come back with the "read more, post less" mantra...well, good for you. I like being active here at CP and making my 5.5 posts per day to your 1 post a month even if you don't believe in it. So, since your post had just as much value as mine, I guess I'm entitled to give you the old "STFU" back right?

Now, to the rest of you, I apologize that this showed up in this thread, but I feel I have the right to respond to someone that makes a statement like this towards me. I'm done with it now.

Rod, you've done an exceptional job with this site and I'm proud to call it home. Thanks for holding to your values in keeping CP a community instead of an asset.

I may be wrong but this whole endeavor seems to be a huge risk in light of the current financial crisis sweeping the world. It took a lot of capital to buy the sites and it will take more to merge them into Powder Puff and then keep them running smoothly. All this in a market where credit is frozen and banks are most likely avoiding speculative ventures like the plague.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all turns out, that's for sure.