• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

the saga of building my humidor

mhn

well I started about 2 months ago building this humidor to fit in a "nook" in my dining room. It took me absolutely forever to finish this thing. So I set it all up and put bowls of dis. water in it to season the sp. cedar lining and everything, and all is well. The I get 2 lbs. of magic beans, set 'em up in pantyhose :D, shut the doors and let them so the work :( :(

sad thing is the damn thing aparently wouldn't hold the humidity, even though it had appeared to do so with the bowls of water, my humi was still running very dry. I figured that the beads just couldn't keep up with the humidity loss fast enough ???

anyways, so i abandon the idea of using this as a humidor and instead decide to use it to hold a bunch of tupperdors :) no problem i think to myself, at least I made a very nice looking cabinent for the dining room. well, when I decided this I put my radioshack thermometer/hygrometer back into my originial 250 count humi (where I have been keeping my sticks until I get my new humi set up) and find out the damn thing is WAY to dry. i recharge the humidifier like every day and the thing is still sitting at 60 - 61% I just can't get the humidity up.

so, my wife says (keep in mind i've been complaining now about this whole thing for at least week by this point), maybe you should do that test thing again to make sure the reading is correct. but I DID that already when I bought the hygrometer, and it was 1-2% low, so I already know how to account for that. well, long story short, I figure I might as well do the salt test again, and after letting it sit for about 48 hours, it's dead on at 65% THATS RIGHT...10% OFF.

so what does this mean? It means the humi I built really DOES work :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

has anyone ever had their digital hygrometer change on them like that? or is it more likely that I didn't do the salt test correctly the first time. Only thing about that second statement is, i'm pretty sure the first test was correct b/c my humi got settled at 68-69% using 50/50 and dis. water. ??? ??? oh wall...whatever.

anyways, we have like 6 inches of snow on the ground right now, so I figured I would come and tell you all a little story :D

thanks for listening.

I always retest my units once a year when I replace the batteries. Yes, some do change. ??? Except for this one...VWR

I find the beads more reliable than hygometers.

If you use the amount of beads recommended by vern to correspond with your volume, you'll pretty much be right on the money.

Hey Mike,

NICE job on the humi. After conducting a careful review of your photos, I have found the solution to your unstable humidity problem.

YOU NEED MORE CIGARS,
LOTS OF 'EM

I have found the fuller I keep my humis & coolerdors, the less problems I have maintaining the proper RH levels.

BUY MORE CIGARS !!!

yep.gif
yep.gif
yep.gif